[ST Edge] Hampton Bay / King of Fans Zigbee Fan Controller

The remote uses RF to communicate with the canopy module, so it’s possible that the reverse command is implemented for RF but not ZigBee.

@philh30, when I first installed the Edge driver you created all of my KOF fans worked great in both SmartThings and using Alexa. For some reason as of a few days ago I can no longer use Alexa to control the pair of KOF fans in the living room. I can control them individually, but not as a group called “livingroom fans”. I get a response, “I don’t know what went wrong.” I can control the lights as a Alexa group or individually, but not the fans.

I have tried removing the fans from Alexa and discovering the fans again. The fans were added normally. Then, I created a group for the 2 fans. I can still control the fans individually, but not as a group.

The driver makes the device work in SmartThings. The driver implements the standard capabilities that should work with Alexa, but the interaction between SmartThings and Alexa is completely outside of the driver’s scope. If your fans work in SmartThings then the driver is working.

You may have better luck with ideas for troubleshooting your Alexa issues by creating a new topic focused on group control of fans in Alexa. There are some people on the forum that are very knowledgeable about Alexa that don’t have KOF devices. My best idea would be to create a virtual fan device in SmartThings and link it to your real fans with routines or rules. There may be a better approach though.

Maybe I missed it, but how do I add a Hampton Bay Fan zigbee device? I don’t see a way to add a generic zigbee device. There is no QR Code, I can’t find Hampton Bay, Wink or zigbee device. I tried scanning with no luck. Unfortunately it was deleted before the migration. I have about 4 more of these. I do have one that is connected and was migrated.

You should be able to add it with “scan nearby”. You’ll probably need to reset the Hampton Bay device first - if you have a dumb switch still connected, cycle it on and off for 1 seconds apiece 5 times. You can do it at the breaker if there’s no switch (hopefully you don’t have anything too sensitive on the circuit). If you have the hub in pairing mode when you do that, you should get a couple of flashes indicating the reset and then another flash a second or two later indicating a successful pairing. If you miss that window, you’ll need to cycle it another 3 times (I think) to restart pairing mode.

3 Likes

This is great thanks for the driver. I got grumpy when the smart things change in architecture broke a lot of my automations and basically let my system deteriorate to the point it was a light switch management system. I told myself this holiday break was the time I’m going to get everything back up and running and thanks to this I’m almost there.

Related to fans has anyone redone the old 4 speed ceiling fan thermostat code that used to be out there? That was one of my favorite smart home features (old house with some rooms with questionable HVAC) and besides troubleshooting a few things the last piece to getting back to where I was before.

I have SharpTools doing this. It’s a lot clunkier to hard code all the levels compared to the old thermostat, but as far as I remember, it does the job. I’m not sure why I left it with only 3 speeds though - I probably set it up on another fan first, then copied it to this one and didn’t add the 4th speed.

I’ve always had a problem with this device on Smartthings - it seems to occasionally go offline, and the only way to re-add it is to go through the power off/on cycle. I know it’s not the controller itself - I’ve replaced it a few times. I do know that occasionally our power goes out, and it doesn’t seem to automatically reset itself. But not sure if that’s the problem or if there’s something else I should try. Thoughts?

It can be tricky to get signal to and from a ceiling fan because of the blades. And if the messages get lost, if the device is more likely to get marked offline.

Sometimes it helps to put a Zigbee repeater (pretty much any mains powered Zigbee device except a smoke detector or a sengled bulb) in the room above the fan, or if you can, near the ceiling in the same room. That may find it easier to get messages to and from the fan, then trying to shoot up past the blades from a more typical position on the wall. :thinking:

Thanks. It’s frustrating because not only is my hub in the same room, it’s literally 10 feet from the ceiling fan, and maybe 5 feet below it. I don’t know if it is a power outage issue - although all of my other ST and non ST devices get reconnected without an issue. It’s just frustrating because I have the light in the ceiling fan set to turn on when the exterior door is opened, and obviously sometimes that does not work.

“Below it” is often the problem with ceiling fans. It’s easier to get signal from above it.

All of that said, smartthings has a persistent issue in marking devices off-line, which are not unreachable. It’s been going on for a couple of years. They keep trying new things to make it better, but for whatever reason it’s been a challenging issue for them.

Knock on wood, but mine has been ROCK SOLID for many, many months now. Even when someone accidentally turns off the switch the second I turn it back on it comes back online.

1 Like

It’s the controller. They have always had a tendency to fall off the network. I have 2. They would work great for over a year then give me issues for awhile then work great again. This was with multiple well placed repeater in each room following JD’s advice. This happened on Smartthings as well as Hubitat. Common denominator, the Hampton Bay controller. I finally had enough and connected them both to a Bond hub. I lost the ability to dim the lights but they work all the time, everytime now

1 Like

Is there a channel enrollment for this somewhere?

First post in the thread. Click on the “Channel invite” link.