[ST Edge] Driver for GE/Jasco/Honeywell Z-Wave Switches, Dimmers, Fans, Outlets, and Plug-Ins

ok. Thanks.

Troubleshooting random behavior like that can be hard. You need to narrow down the point of failure. The first thing I’d recommend relevant to this driver is to get live logging running while you reproduce the behavior. If the routine fires successfully then the logs for this driver should show the switch on/off command come in, then a z-wave command queued to be sent, then some sort of ACK saying that the command was/was not sent successfully. This driver is only in charge between when the command comes in and when it’s queued, so if the failure is before or after those points then the problem is elsewhere. I’d also monitor logs (or status in the app) on the motion sensor to make sure you see the hub receiving the motion events.

If you haven’t already done so, you should run a z-wave repair since you’ve excluded/included at least one repeater recently.

philh30,
Ran the z-wave repair.
But (embarrassing), how do I turn on logging?

One behavior I have been able to nail done, there are times when the light is off, I enter the room, the smartthing app shows the motion sensor sees motion, but the light does not come on. On further inspection, the smartthing app shows the light is on. But it is actually off. I then turn the light off
then on and it comes on.
Continuing to troubleshoot.

The model numbers listed on the switch are ZW3011 and 2152B. TY!

Parameter 20 works exactly as expected! Saved me a whole lot of headache! Thank you!

philh30,
Well here is what I know about the strange / random behavior of the motion/light switch combo and the light coming on, not going off, etc

I found live logging - I think. What I located is on the IDE Groovey environment. I admit - it does not “tell me much”, but maybe you. If you would like screenshots I can provide them.

The behavior I have identified:

When I enter the office room, the light does not come on. I look at the light switch. The small blue led indicator is off - as it should be - indicating the switch thinks the light is on. Check the app, the light is on. But it is not on.
Since the light is not on, I push the upper portion of the switch to turn it on. Nothing happens. I then push the bottom portion of the paddle switch to turn it off. The blue led comes on. Then I push the upper position of the paddle switch and the light comes on and the blue led indicator goes off.

If I leave the room and wait about 14 minutes or so, the light, based on no motion goes off which is correct. Then I reenter the room and the light comes on - based on motion.

The above behavior repeats itself at random times during the day.

Some mornings when I enter the room for the first time in the day, the light operation is normal. On other mornings when I first enter the room the light does not come on.

Another pattern I have tracked: the light will not go out after no motion for 14 or so minutes. I check the app, it says the light is off. I check the blue led indicator and it is on (indicating the light is out). But the light is ON.

So at first, I thought, change the motion sensor. But that appears to be operating correctly. I observe its behavior via the app as I come and go in the room.

So, now I am thinking it is a problem with the switch. Or is this a firmware/software problem - in the switch?

Another thought I am having is to remove the switch from the network and then re-add it.

I have run the z-wave network repair several times. I see no positive impact.

Before I jump around doing things, your thoughts?
Thanks - Dave

Live logging for devices running on edge drivers uses the logcat function in the command line interface (CLI). I have instructions here for set up or you can search around the forum for instructions.

My best guess on this part is that the device is on but at a low enough dim level that the light isn’t visibly on. When this happens, try holding up to see if the dim level ramps up. Best guess at what could cause this is if the device is turned on at a minimal dim prior then it could be returning to that same level.

This one doesn’t make sense to me.

If you work through the CLI set up and grab logs when this happens then it might tell us something.

philh30,
Many thanks.
Will work on the suggested steps.

Thank you for making this driver!

I have an GE 14291 and the driver works for it but I cannot get double tap to work with an associated group of switched. I’m using association group 3 and putting in what I believe to be the hex id’s for the other switches I want to be in the other group but it’s not doing anything on double tap.

Any help trouble shooting? Suggestions on where to see a log file? Perhaps I’m using the wrong hex id? I used the simple device viewer you mentioned in another response and using the quoted bit of tex the hex id:

• deviceId: “3e3cb4d9-5874-47e7-b270-320879b32211”,

Look for network id instead. It should be in the zwave section. It will be a 2 digit I’d like 2F.

The other catch with association is making sure both devices joined at the same security level

That did it, thank you. I misunderstood and expected that I needed to be putting in the deviceID rather than networkID. Thanks for the fast help!

Will this driver work with Webcore?

i just realized the two zwave switches that i recently installed to replace the broken ones are not listed as devices in Webcore. They are labeled as “placeholder” under device id. Which is probably why Webcore is not seeing them. I have Webcore routines that are relying on these Zwave switches so its causing issues with my automation at the moment.

thanks.

Webcore is a Groovy smartapp that will stop working when ST shuts down their free Groovy cloud later this year. You should look to migrate any webcore pistons to routines or rules, or to a third party solution that has been updated to work with the new ST framework (like the SharpTools rules engine).

That said, there’s nothing about this driver that would make it incompatible with webcore. If you’re using the button capability then there could be some rework required in your piston since the capability has changed over time, and this driver uses the new approach. I don’t have webcore installed anymore though, so can’t/won’t test webcore functionality.

1 Like

How do you din the network id? i was able to find it in the groovy platform but once that goes away can you find it on the app or my.smarthings page?

Two options:

I have several GE/Jasco 0063-4952-3038 in-wall switches. These will register up to 3 up/down taps as well held up/down (the latter of which also turns on/off the switch itself). However, these are not options to be used in routines. Could this be added?

@philh30 I also just get a new Enbrighten in wall switch with the fingerprint 0063-4952-3038. It appears to use the correct driver. However, double or triple taps also activate the switch itself. Some of my other switches do not have this behavior (with the same fingerprint!). Only a single tap activates the switch itself. Any ideas?

This is a firmware issue. Nothing in the driver impacts that behavior. This is discussed in the GitHub issue linked below from the Jasco firmware repository. I would guess that your switch has firmware 5.54 and updating to the 0.54 version noted in the issue would resolve it for you. Note that SmartThings doesn’t support z-wave firmware updates, so you would need a separate z-stick for it. They’re not too expensive but you may just want to return the switch.

Ahh, thanks. That does seem to be the problem. I just received these switches as warranty replacements for some older ones that had failed (the seemingly well-known “clicking” problem).

For my switches that are working properly, does the driver control whether triple taps show up as a trigger for a routine?

Once you enroll and add, how is the hub updated?