[ST Edge] Bond Bridge LAN [BETA]

You may be better off deleting the hub device and starting over. It sounds like your pairing is broken for some reason. If you don’t want to do that, you can manually enter the pairing token through the device settings for the bridge device. That token be can found in the Bond app under the advanced section of the Bridge device in that app.

If you have any other questions, please shoot me a DM so as not to add to this group thread.

1 Like

Thank you. I was able to get things up and running, all is working now. I appreciate your quick responses and am looking forward to running these in parallel to determine the best performance. I reallly appreciate the help.

1 Like

Thanks for all the great work! Question, some fireplaces have a “keep alive” functionality which requires the remote (or bond hub) to send a command every 14 minutes to maintain on state, or else fireplace will time out and turn off. Currently I have multiple routines that countdown and send the unique rf “refresh” signal every 14 minutes when the fireplace has been activated by Alexa. Anyway to build this functionality into the driver directly?

Also, is there any reason why the current linked setup with BOND might be better than this Lan driver. Ie any reason I might want to think twice before moving over to local only? Ty in advance

I haven’t checked their integration in a while, but last I looked, they supported lights and ceiling fans using their cloud connection. Local execution (no internet) and support for more devices are the big differences. This does blinds, fireplaces etc. The UI is also more finely tuned for devices with multiple components like fans with built in lights.

I’m not familiar with this. The driver doesn’t attempt to do anything like this. I’m not sure if the Bond itself does this for certain models/remotes. The driver doesn’t actually send RF signals. It speaks to the Bond over LAN and the Bond determines which RF signals to send based on the LAN commands. I don’t see anything like a ‘refresh’ command in their API.

I should have mentioned the bond hub does not natively send these commands. I have routines set up to send the commands every 15 minutes if on.

Maybe what’s missing is the quick rotuines on the device page. For example the cloud version allows users to set on or off timers from the device page. Could that be added perhaps?

No. Those are automatically added by ST if the device has a switch in its capabilities and uses the default presentation. Most of these use custom presentations. You would have to use a combination of virtual switches and timers to do it with ST automations.

For some reason, sometime in the last few days, any Bond devices that are a setup as a “Device”, as opposed to a fan/light/etc, are no longer in SmartThings. Any suggestions?

It sounds like you aren’t using the driver, but are instead using the linked service provided by ST. This is because the driver doesn’t have any code to remove devices. However, the linked service can “sync” itself and remove or add devices to match your Bond account.

That is not the case unfortunately, as I do not have that service linked. It’s quite odd - the missing devices were showing up as “Unknown Device” in my routines, but not showing anywhere within the ST app as a device tile.

The only Bond device that shows in the app is a fan, which shows as using your driver. The other devices, that were displayed in routines as “unknown devices”, are not visible in ST but remain controllable by ActionTiles. The Bond app itself remains fully working with no devices missing or changed.

EDIT: Checking further, the devices do appear in the IDE, so they’re still in SmartThings, just not visible to the app, I’m assuming because they’re somehow classed as an “unknown device”

Just wanted to follow up on this. It seems to be iOS related as the devices show up without issue on Android devices.

@nayelyz

1 Like

Ok, so which controller is handling the devices?
Have you listed them through the API to see if they have a “driverId” property or “VIPER” type?

In the IDE, any element not Groovy-based is not fully supported. You can check the device’s details installing the CLI and following these steps:

1. List the devices with the command:
smartthings devices
  1. Copy the Device ID of the first device you’ll check. Run the same command but add the ID (and he flag -j) at the end:
smartthings devices device-ID -j
  1. Check if in the details there’s a property called “zwave”/”zigbee”/”lan” that contains the driver ID. This means it’s using a driver.
    If not, it should have a property called type with the value “VIPER”

Can we link Broadlink IR devices through this driver? How?
Grateful for replies.

The Bond bridge is an RF emitter with additional code to support fans and other commons RF devices. You setup your remotes through the bond app and this driver allows you to import those devices into SmartThings.

Edit. You were asking about IR. The Bond Bridge (not the Bond Pro) can do IR as well if it has line of sight to the device.

1 Like

Broadlink is a competing product to Bond. This driver is not a generic IR driver - it is specific to Bond, and as such will only work with Bond. You’ll need to purchase a Bond device to use it.

1 Like

Correct. This would support devices that would typically be connected to something like a Broadlink

2 Likes

I am circling back to the Bond driver to update it with all of the latest and greatest networking code and see if there are more devices to support. Have any of you had the Bond Bridge going offline lately? It’s possible there is a firmware update impacting UDP broadcasts with the Bond. Just checking in to see if it is widespread.

Not that I’ve noticed

1 Like

I had it go offline last week for an extended period. A network reboot and reboot of both hubs solved it.

1 Like

A reboot of the ST hub should do it if it occurs again. I see that as well. Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

I am also curious if anyone is using the Groups and Scenes inside the Bond app. Would you like to use those inside of the ST app? I am trying to gauge interest:

Would you use Bond Scene or Bond Groups in SmartThings?

• I would like to use Bond Scenes
  • I would like to use Bond Device Groups for Lights
  • I would like to use Bond Device Groups for Fans
  • I would like to use Bond Device Groups for some other device type
  • I am not interested in these features

0 voters