ST Cloud Offline? (28 July 2022)

Local is great, but since this forum is for people who are using SmartThings and SmartThings, even in the new architecture, has a lot of cloud components, that thread is for people currently using the SmartThings platform who want to be better prepared for cloud outages.

There are several competitor systems which run primarily local (Hubitat was actually created for just that purpose by former SmartThings users), so if your answer is to just go local, there are certainly options to choose from.

But since here we are just customers helping other customers with the existing SmartThings system, it can be helpful to discuss practical ideas for reducing the impact of the inevitable cloud outages. :sunglasses::umbrella:

2 Likes

Part of the reason for home automation is to have control of some things when you are not at home.
No matter how local the platform is, if you are not at home and you lose internet or the platform cloud fails, you will not have any control of your system, only what the local rules execute autonomously will work and that is what smartthings intends now.

That the app also works with the local Wi-Fi when you get home, is another chapter.

3 Likes

I have rethought my automations. For instance in the kitchen, only the counter lights turn on with motion, (Full Daylight or Dimmed Red, depending on day/night mode), this is enough to do basic kitchen tasks, like get a snack or cook on anytime but the middle of a storm or at night. In Dads main rooms, I just have automations to shut things off if left on. Physical switches or Hey Google…turns them on/off. On/off automations have been reserved for bathrooms, My areas, Dads Office and and the basement. In my bedroom I have set a sleep button tied to a virtual presence sensor to turn off/on all upstairs automations. Plan B is to grab the Hue motion sensor off its magnet and hide it under a pillow. :slight_smile:

I may switch my part of the House to Home Assistant. (Master Bedroom, Computer room, my bathroom and upstairs hallway) to try it out, before making a decision to make a complete switch. I do like the convenience to Smartthings. So I may just stick with using both at the same time.

1 Like

What I meant hub should be able control things without cloud. Meaning it is clearly bad design when broken cloud breaks automations.

I am shocked I immediately got three responses from customers defending bad design. Clearly something does not look right here. Imagine Smartthings employees working on Tesla cars.

For a while I did just that.

Had Hubitat linked with Home Assistant controlling the upstairs part of the house, and SmartThings for the lower level (that’s where the Ikea Tradfri buttons are - Hubitat doesn’t support Touchlink devices very well/at all).

In the end I moved everything over to SmartThings with Edge drivers after I realized I had actually split my zigbee mesh into two separate meshes.

3 Likes

That is something I would like to see as well.

Would be nice to at least have the option to connect directly to the hub within your own network.

3 Likes

I don’t think anybody here is defending the SmartThings’ decision to base big pieces of the platform on a cloud. People have been talking about it since at least 2014.

I think instead the point that people are trying to make is that if you don’t find this particular design useful, there are lots of competing systems that are primarily local.

You can certainly suggest SmartThings would be a better system if it ran more stuff locally, but again, this forum is just customers helping customers, and we’re dealing with what it is. They’ve added some more local processing over the years, but never as much as the competition, and the new platform is still largely cloud-based.

If you find smartthings useful, and many people do, you use it for what it is. If you find it just too frustrating, you move over to a different platform. Many people have over the years. (Including the founders of Hubitat.) Different things work for different people.

As I’ve mentioned in the forums before, back in 2015 I found that SmartThings’ cloud-based architecture just wasn’t reliable enough for my own personal needs for my critical use cases. So I shifted those over to a different platform. I’ve continued to use SmartThings for non-critical use cases because it remains one of the most powerful and flexible inexpensive systems out there.

If you can think of a way to convince the SmartThings designers to move to a more local architecture. , that would be great, but most of the people replying to you here have been making that comment for years, and the company hasn’t budged.

We get new people in the forum every month who are surprised that the app doesn’t work if they don’t have an active Internet connection. But it’s not designed to. That’s not a defense, it’s just a fact. Hubitat, HomeKit, Homeseer, Ikea, and most Home Assistant implementations don’t require a cloud except for third party integrations like voice assistants and out of home control, so there are lots of alternatives out there now. And there are also plenty of people moving from those platforms over to SmartThings. Every platform has its pluses and minuses. It’s just a question of finding what will work best for you.

3 Likes

Every week you seem to be repeating the same thing, suggesting SmartThings users change to another platform, it must be very tiresome for ST employees reading the same forum user aggrandizing other platforms. I’m not sure how this is allowed? As you don’t even use a ST hub or Edge drivers can’t you go on those other platforms’ forum and say how great it is instead of trashing our one.

Respectfully,
Selflessly trying to get users and myself to improve the functioning of their automation system is not defending a supposed bad design of it.
It is simply helping, contributing, sharing and also criticizing to improve.

I chose smartthings and others (Tuya, Meross, Yi…) like many users without knowing exactly its real functionality, because you don’t know that until you use it and practically check its features and shortcomings regarding your needs.

From here, it’s like everything, if I’m interested or not I have another option, I continue and if I’m not interested and I can, I leave.

I don’t have enough knowledge and audacity to judge the competence of Smartthings workers, if that’s what you mean by comparing Smartthings to Tesla.

I don’t know if users who have suffered serious accidents with Tesla vehicles thought that Tesla workers have made the perfect design.

With my many years in tow, more than 60, I always found two basic types of people (customers, workers and managers):

• Those who make mistakes when trying to improve and find solutions.
  • Those who perfectly know how to diagnose the error or failure and are never wrong, because they never do anything waiting for someone to solve the problem.
9 Likes

Have all your system returned to normal? I still have several things that have not fired fully- mostly sunrise./sunset triggers. The devices and most other things ware working fine.

i personally use smartthings because its in my opinion brilliant ,i also use ewelink as they have rf433 that works great and their devices are cheap and work well.
the smartthings forum is excellent there is always someone willing to help if somethings playing up or you just cant do something. its a real comunity forum, the people on the forum are doing their best to improve smartthings for everyone.
and are doing a great job.
thanks

1 Like

My sunset triggers (all have x minutes before) are all functioning, but any devices that trigger off at sunrise are still not working as of 7 August. My outdoor lighting remains on instead of triggering off at sunrise.

do you use Routines or Smart Lighting?

Hi! Thank you for the reply. My outdoor lights are on the Smart Lighting SmartApp. I think I had tried to use Routines at one point, but there was a limit of 60 minutes +/- for either side of Sunrise/Sunset. I think a while back there was an issue with the Sunset times and I switched some of my indoor lights that used SR/SS as triggers but again ran into the issue of limited to 60 minutes prior. Is this still the case?

Do I just need to get rid of Smart Lighting all together and rebuild my outdoor light actions to use routines?

I am not saying you should get rid of Smart Lighting but you should start looking at Routines. This Edge device can help with the time +/- with sunrise/sunset in routines so take a look at it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll dig into it this evening.