[OBSOLETE] Sport Notifications SmartApp

This could be used to make real-world consequences on bets! Have automatic plant watering systems tied to smart plugs. You and your wife have a running bet on a baseball season. Each of you favors different teams. If your team falls below .500, your smartplug gets turned off so your plant does not get watered… and does not get watered again until the team either reaches .500, or wins three games in a row. If the season ends with your team below.500, the plant never gets water again.

I guess I was thinking after getting the initial notifications and you know your going to record it to watch later, then you would just “turn off” the virtual device created for your team and and turn it off later after you watch the game. I believe if you turn it back on after the game is over, it will simply schedule the notifications for the next game. However, when I get a chance to make changes again I can look at adding a switch to only provide notification of an upcoming game and bypass any in-game notifications.

• EricL

Strange … do you still get text notifications of the subsequent goals?

I went back today and installed everything again. I don’t think I had it all installed correctly. I will see what happens next game.

Can someone walk me through using alexa to play the goal music? Maybe this is a newb question…

If I slide the toggle switch “Send notifications to ask alexa?” Will this accomplish what I am trying to do?

I have been looking for this for years! I have 100s of smart home devices, but oddly no SmartThings so looks like a few hundred dollars more investment just for this functionality, unless this can be done with OpenHab or any other hubs? Main question though, sorry to dumb down, do I only need a hub or is that other hardware? I have Hue lights, Google Home, Wink, etc…Was hoping to hi jack signal from Budweiser Goal Lights but whatever. Once I have hardware, is this easy to set up for someone with no back end coding type knowledge? Thanks, cant wait to get this going! #gojetsgo Donated, have a hub ordered, hope I get this working! #gojetsgo Could be Pens vs Jets for the cup?

Hi Patrick, can you please advise how I can test that the lights will flash? Is that even possible? Do I have to select options on all 3 components of the app?

Mark,

Did you find where you can add your team(s) yet? In the Smartthing App, go to Automation Tab, select SmartApps, scroll down and select Sports Notifications, then select New NHL Notifications.

• EricL

Hi Eric, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have adding the team down pat, it is 1 team only, or can I select multiple teams by replicating process for each team? I do not have Alexa, can I use Sonos speaker or Google Home speakers? To use all my Hue lights do I have to create a room and use that as a grouping or is it 1 light only? Thanks again.

correction, not in the app, but in the developer interface ui online, where your apps were installed.
https://graph-na04-useast2.api.smartthings.com/ide/apps

on my note8, the app does not show any nhl options under the automations tab, a bit lost now…if by app you refer to the phone…

on my phone, I now have a virtual hub device, which I believe is the NHL service with my team selection? And I have a flash light device which also appears as being linked to the virtual hub. I am trying it with Tampa Bay as they are playing at the moment.

ok ok, man. I was using the cr@p Samsung connect re-branded to smartthings, I checked app store, found smartthings classic and can locate the Sports Notification app…trying again

You can add more than 1 team. You should be able to use any speaker, light, switch, etc as long as it shows up under your Things. All this would be setup under the team notification (each team can have different notification options). All this would be setup using the Sports Notification app located under SmartApps in the SmartThings App.

Also, you can test your notification settings by selecting the team under Touch Notification - and once you select a team you should thensee a Play icon next to the Sports Notification listed under SmartApps. Press that Play icon and it will emulate a notification event for that team.

Thank you!!!, everything works perfect now, big shout out to Samsung too, for complicating app names! For any other newbies trying this, you need the Smartthings CLASSIC app! #gojetsgo

Awesome! Yea, I’ve not upgraded to the new app yet (guess I should have mentioned that).

#GoPensGo

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for, so thanks a million for creating this.

I’m having an issue with Hue Color lamps. They do the OPPOSITE of the apps settings.
For testing, they are to flash once, 15s on, 6s off.
When a goal is scored, they go off for 15s and then on for 6s, and then return to normal lighting.
Everything seems to be working correctly, except the On/Off is switched.

Any thoughts on this issue?

NHL 0.9.9, Sport 0.9.1

Hey Eric,

My wife is complaining to me that having all the lights in the house flash when the Pens score will freak the dogs out if we’re not home… is there any way you could add an option to only enable based on Mode?

LGP!!

I wrote a WebCore piston to turn on the notification switch only when I am present.

Thank You.

Please excuse any typos.

that’s a good workaround… off to play with WebCore now :slight_smile:

Yesterday this was not triggering, I wasn’t able to check logs but is anyone else having issues?

Mine has been working but after the light flashes it doesn’t return to the previous setting. It stays colored instead of changing back to white. Any ideas?

I use a Sylvania Smart+ bulb and if I have it on before the game it will end up at red every time but I think that is the bulb because it does it other places in my house where I have one. For the NHL app I have it set to off so it just lights up the proper color and turns off after and seems to work fine.