SmartThings Community

SPECIFIC differences between "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)" and "SmartThings Classic"

project_getstarted

(Mark DeWitt) #43

One thing I have noticed in STSC is that the smart home monitor does not update alarm status when changed in classic or on Action tiles. If you had the status as armed away in STSC then disarm it on action tiles stsc would still alert you that there is a break-in.

(Jimmy) #44

That’s because the new apps SHM is totally separate from the Classic version. It’s a whole different app using the new API instead of groovy.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #45

@markdewitt2 … He’s correct.

What I don’t know: Is the new Solution also exactly called “Smart Home Monitor”?

You’d think I’d know by now, but to be 100% honest, I’m avoiding the new SmartThings App as if it were ebola. Head buried in sand here, but I … don’t like this ambiguous situation at all. :worried:.

(Jimmy) #46

Yup, same name and everything, but doesn’t have leak, smoke, and custom (yet?), just security.

Update 8/11/18: leak and smoke added to SHM in STSC.

As of this writing, STSC does not offer any way to automate the unlocking of a lock. Just the locking of it. You can open the mobile app and see the lock listed and unlock it there. But you cannot set up to unlock it when you arrive home, or at a certain time of day, or when a specific sensor activates. You can do all of those and more with the classic app. It is unknown whether this capability will be added to STSC or not.

Z-Wave Popp Strike Lock Control POPE012501
(jkp) #48

STSC has a limit of 20 rooms you can add :frowning: But you can add more than 20 in the Classic app and they show in the STSC app.

If you get the new V3 version of the hub, you will have to set it up using STSC, but after that you can use either app with it.

(JIm) #50

I’ve also noticed that STSC doesn’t have text notifications in any of the apps. Such as SHM, Notify Me.

(Jimmy) #52

New one I found out last night:

You can’t force remove a z-wave device in STSC. It makes you go through device exclusion and once it times out makes you re-try device exclusion in an endless loop. Classic gives you the option to force delete the device after the device exclusion times out.

So don’t disconnect your in wall switch without excluding it if you’re using only STSC :slight_smile:

(Tony) #53

SHM video recording on alarm trigger is gone.

In STSC Smart Home Monitor, you can no longer select cameras to automatically record when an alarm is triggered. This is now left to 3rd party apps (Arlo etc).

This was very useful as, on alarm trigger, you could ask to record several cameras (including those with no motion sensing capabilities) to follow what is going on.
Now this will only be done by the built in motion sensor of the 3rd party camera (when the Arlo camera is on, it will record on motion detection and will be viewable in the Arlo app, not in the STSC app as for the Classic app.

In STSC, Arlo Q Cameras are only seen as motion sensors (no sound sensors anymore).

Insecure rejoin for zigbee devices is enabled by default for the classic app and disabled by default for STSC. I have no idea what happens if you are using both apps on the same account.

(jkp) #55

rut roh! are you sure? re-read the two settings. In the Classic app, it is Insecure Rejoin and in the ST (Samsung Connect) app, it is labelled Secure mode. So that would make them correct in both apps. If you change the setting in one app (from off to on), it changes the settings in the other app (from on to off).

Right, but I’m just saying that the default is different depending on which app you start from. That’s also what the knowledgebase article says. The older app enables insecure rejoin by default, and therefore is less secure them the new app, which disables by default. But you can change the setting from either one.

(jkp) #57

but insecure rejoin is enabled for both apps

In your screenshots, yes. But the knowledgebase article says that the two apps have different starting default values.

How do I disable insecure rejoin?
In the SmartThings app, the insecure rejoin is disabled by default through the Secure Mode setting…
In the SmartThings Classic app, insecure rejoin is enabled by default.

But that’s just the initial settings.

@tpmanley

(jkp) #59

they have different starting values because they are labelled differently. insecure in the classic app but Secure in the STSC but overall you end up with the same setting of either being insecure or secure in both apps. You can’t be insecure in one app without being insecure in the other app.

so your statement is incorrect --> Insecure rejoin for zigbee devices is enabled by default for the classic app and disabled by default for STSC.

It’s not my statement. It’s from the official support knowledgebase article. I didn’t paraphrase it, that’s exactly what it says. It’s not using two different terms in those statements. But I don’t know, maybe the author of the article wrote it incorrectly.

(jkp) #61

then this support knowledgebase is incorrect, it should read in the SmartThings app, Secure mode is disabled by default. because if I change the settings in one app, it changes in the other app :slight_smile:

STSC - secure mode = off and ST Classic - insecure rejoin = on
or
STSC - secure mode = on and ST Classic - insecure rejoin = off

The new app is much pickier about what your location is. There are many features which will not be available unless the location for your account is in the US or the UK or Canada. ( even adding a hub will not be available unless you are in one of those three countries – – that’s now considered a “feature.”)

The following threads discusses how to set the account location in the new app if you aren’t sure. Note that the process is different than setting your Geopresence location for your phone.

As of this writing, the iOS version of STSC needs to have the Geopresence used for the phone location refreshed from time to time. This seems like it is probably a bug, but it has now persisted through several updates to the app, so maybe not. With the classic app, it is the android version which is more likely to need location refreshed.