[OBSOLETE] differences between "SmartThings Classic" (the V2 app) and “SmartThings (Samsung Connect)” (the V3 app)

As of this writing, the iOS version of the new V3 app needs to have the Geopresence used for the phone location refreshed from time to time. This seems like it is probably a bug, but it has now persisted through several updates to the app, so maybe not. With the classic app, it is the android version which is more likely to need location refreshed.

As of this writing, it appears the new V3 app does not recognize hue light strips attached to a hue bridge. However, they will be discovered automatically if you are using the classic app.

1 Like

Is everybody now supposed to be using the SmartThings (Samsung Connect) app? I’ve often thought this.

I’ve not received an email saying that I should (UK). So I’m still using the SmartThings Classic app.

Seems a long time to announce that they were mothballing the Classic app, and to not be told to move over to the new version.

Migration questions should be asked in the other thread.

This thread is only for a list of specific differences between the two apps. Please read post #1 in this thread if you’re not sure what goes here. Thanks. :sunglasses:

The new app version of Smart Locks (called Smart Lock Guest Access) is very similar to the classic version, but is actually two separate apps. The Classic version you can share a created code by SMS. The new app version you can share with any communication method.

2 Likes

@JDRoberts @Automated_House @jkp @tgauchat , add this to any of the FAQ’s about the differences in the ST apps…

Specifically, if you have “x” number of devices (maybe? who knows how many the new app supports), and you have sync issues, it looks like the only option support is making available is for the customer to delete everything, start over, and hope that it fixes the problem.

1 Like

Responding in the other thread so as to keep this one on topic.

1 Like

Absolutely unacceptable answer.

Though it’s no worse than if you bought a new Hub and had to manually migrate, due to the lack of a migration tool. Which could absolutely be necessary, if, it would be a real shame if, your current Hub were to have some sort of, ummm, “accident”, you see, hmmm? :imp:

1 Like

From @jkp in another thread:

If you use SHM in the Classic app, you can use smart plugs. It does not offer that option in SHM in STSC. Be sure to contact ST support to request it as a future feature.

1 Like

Interesting User Experience decision.

SmartThings has been “tagging” various DH with Capability “Light” (in addition to “Switch”) so that SmartApps like SHM and Alex/GA can tell the difference.

Wouldn’t want to switch on some dangerous appliance like a coffee maker as an SHM alert indicator, right?

1 Like

From a newbie perspective an awesome thread to read, been here just about a month and impressed
Jools

2 Likes

As of this writing, presence works quite differently in the two apps.

To quote @jkp

It depends on which app the phone sensor was created. If you created the phone presence sensor in the Classic app, then you can use it with webcore. If you created the phone location sensor using STSC, then you are out of luck as webCoRE does not work with that feature from STSC.

The new app also has a bug at least in iOS where it will repeatedly create new copies of a phone presence sensor, making it pretty much unusable.

3 Likes

I believe This is the result of the bug where your phone location is disabled. When you enable it again, it creates the extra sensor(s).

3 Likes

This is exactly my problem. How do I get around this when I have four people, each with iPhones.

The V3 app now has the ability to group lights together. It’s only partial, you can’t use the groups in very many automations yet, But at least you can toggle them in the app.

A long long time ago, back in 2014, the V1 app had this ability.

The V2 app never had it, and now never will.

But in either app you can create a virtual master light and then have the others mirror that. So for the V2 app, you have to use that method or one of the other unofficial custom options.

Methods to use with the V2 classic app:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Group_Lights_Together

1 Like

Hi, I am a new member to the SmartThings world, and brought myself a SmartThings Hub v3 from the USA back to Australia. I already had three LIFX WiFi colour lights and an August Door Lock Pro + Connect (American import).

As a trial I bought a NUE Zigbee 3.0 Smart 3 Gang Switch (for lights) from eBay. After downloading the device handler from the vendors website and importing that into the IDE, I am able to operate the three lights (behind the switches) with the Classic App. It shows up as a single “Thing”, but once you select it, you get the three sub-switch options.

Unfortunately on the SmartThings Connect (new) App, the switch shows up as a single “Device”, and when selecting it, it present an On/Off switch option, that doesn’t do anything. It certainly doesn’t present the three switches available on the device!?

The same problem exists when integrating the SmartThings (Samsung) account in Google Home. It imports the “Device”, but only presents a single non-working On/Off option.

Is this the limitation of the new SmartThings Connect App, or can we get it to work by changing something in the handler through the IDE?

Thx, Niels

Good question, but offtopic for this thread, which is just supposed to be a list of specific differences. :sunglasses:

Please repost your question as a new thread in the following section:

You can now automate unlocking a lock in The V3 app via scenes and the custom automation creator.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s great! :blush:

Can you trigger it from Geopresence?

Yup!

2 Likes