[OBSOLETE] differences between "SmartThings Classic" (the V2 app) and “SmartThings (Samsung Connect)” (the V3 app)

Hi all,

I’m Pretty pissed off with smartthings as are most of you.

I’ve been using Smartthings for home automation AND SECURITY. for about 4 years. I actually made the local news here in Albuquerque thanks to Smartthings. I left the house, my system armed ITSELF (i didn’t have to open the stupid new app), a burglar broke in, I got a text telling me this happened and I was able to rush home and apprehend him at gun point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt32qrpQDYw

I have been following the transition from classic app to the new app and about 3months ago went all in and switched everything to the new app. I already knew the functions I would loose and wasn’t happy about it. That day a long conversation with a savy customer service woman at Samsung convinced me it was going to all be a good move.

I was thinking about going back to classic but…

I called Samsung this morning to see what the future holds re smartthings vs home security and he flat out told me two huge things: Samsung company is NEVER going to allow the system to be used like it was in the classic app. IE presence sensor arming your system for away and disarming for arrival or home. They do not want the possible liability associated with someone stealing your phone and then breaking into your house. The second thing was that the classic app is going away Jan, 1st 2020.

I understand Samsung’s reluctance to be involved in the liability of the home security side. I don’t blame them. Its rage against the machine at this point. Sooooooo can anyone help with this?

Competition to Smartthings that I don’t have to buy all new sensors, door locks, and works well with Google home? I talked to Google and they don’t have a hub on the horizon with any kind of automation functionality like ST
Does anyone have work arounds that actually work for presence sensors??? IE phone’s presence telling the system I drove to work and its time to turn everything off and arm the system? I’m really tired of waiting for the new app to open and having to manually arm the system while I drive to work or forget to do it.

1 Like

There was a big update last week that DOES allow automatically arming STHM Security. What’s your app version? Another disclaimer: it could be region restricted. But let’s start with checking your app version first.

3 Likes

Albuquerque :slight_smile:

1 Like

version 1.7.39-24

Lol, I was thinking Alberta for some reason :man_facepalming:t2:

That version should support automatic arm/disarm. Have you tried going to add an automation to do this?

3 Likes

Well that halfway worked. The leaving and it arming as i was about a mile away triggered and everything shut off as well as the system changing to “Armed”

When I got home it didn’t disarm. Maybe I have something set up wrong. Thats troubleshooting on my end. I understand how much time goes into making this stuff run seamless.

I’m really upset why the guy on the phone told me today that this would never be a feature and also why they don’t tell you about updates especially ones with major changes?

1 Like

if you have an android you can spoof your gps location to test your geofence

Not sure about Android, but it was in the iOS change notes

3 Likes

It’s listed on Android release as well…

1 Like

Thanks. I don’t watch the updates and release notes.

If true, I am so done with SmartThings.

Can anyone with Samsung or “in the know” confirm this?

Paging @JDRoberts, @Brad_ST

1 Like

I haven’t seen anything specifically announced yet. But there are definitely a lot of improvements in the most recent version of the new app. It’s the one that I will now be using. :sunglasses:

@jody.albritton

1 Like

we can delete this now

3 Likes

this can be deleted or modified now. Classic has widgets for routines, V3 app has them for scenes.

2 Likes

this can be deleted

this can be deleted

This can be deleted

2 Likes

Be careful about those guardrails, they may trip you fast if you are not on your best “behavior” … Hopefully they raised the bar for us “power users” with more than 6 devices. :slight_smile:

I hope the sunset is set in stone! That means everything Classic can do, the v3 can do better. Muahahaa, they have a short period to catch up.

1 Like

I am very appreciative for the help last night from this forum. I’m a little frustrated with Samsung customer support as he was very sure of himself that those features were never going to be implemented as well as the turn off date for classic. Since he was wrong on one of those things maybe he is wrong on the other?

1 Like

Obviously he’s wrong about shutting down the Classic app on Jan 1st. The new app is nowhere near ready, for the new app to replace the Classic app, it would have to do everything the Classic app does, and just as fast, which it clearly doesn’t, not even close. At the rate they are going it (if ever) will be at LEAST another year. The new app is still in beta, I admire all the guinea pigs for persevering though. The long list of problems is horrifying to read, the most embarrassing is it still force closes sometimes.