[OBSOLETE] differences between "SmartThings Classic" (the V2 app) and “SmartThings (Samsung Connect)” (the V3 app)

this can be deleted

this can be deleted

This can be deleted

2 Likes

Be careful about those guardrails, they may trip you fast if you are not on your best “behavior” … Hopefully they raised the bar for us “power users” with more than 6 devices. :slight_smile:

I hope the sunset is set in stone! That means everything Classic can do, the v3 can do better. Muahahaa, they have a short period to catch up.

1 Like

I am very appreciative for the help last night from this forum. I’m a little frustrated with Samsung customer support as he was very sure of himself that those features were never going to be implemented as well as the turn off date for classic. Since he was wrong on one of those things maybe he is wrong on the other?

1 Like

Obviously he’s wrong about shutting down the Classic app on Jan 1st. The new app is nowhere near ready, for the new app to replace the Classic app, it would have to do everything the Classic app does, and just as fast, which it clearly doesn’t, not even close. At the rate they are going it (if ever) will be at LEAST another year. The new app is still in beta, I admire all the guinea pigs for persevering though. The long list of problems is horrifying to read, the most embarrassing is it still force closes sometimes.

Please take discussion of future developments, complaints, design ideas, what support said, etc. to the discussion thread:

"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

This thread should only be used to list specific differences between the two apps. If we get off into all of the other discussions, this thread will cease to be useful.

Thanks! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

A date for deprecation of SmartThings (Classic) App has not been officially announced anywhere.

As usual, random information like this from SmartThings Support is not trustworthy.

1 Like

New app can now set hub connected device settings. This is @krlaframboise dome siren DTH. I have t tried changing anything yet, though.

3 Likes

I just checked some of my other handlers like the Zooz Smart Switch and those settings are shown too.

I wonder when they made that change?

2 Likes

Today I think.

1 Like

Is it safe to run both the classic app and the new app on my phone? Even if I’m using my phone as a presence sensor?

Yes.

The presence sensing for the two apps is completely separate. You’ll only want to use one of them as presence sensor.

I ran both apps for close to a year with the classic app has presence sensor. Started having long delays with that app triggering presence changes so I removed the sensing in the classic app, set it up in the new app. All working well, both apps still installed.

iOS has trouble with mobile presence when both apps were installed. I got sick of fiddling with it and deleted the Classic app from my phone. Only have it on an iPad now.

1 Like

So, I haven’t used the STSC app in a long time. It looks like a lot of the missing items from the v2 app are now there. Am I right? I feel like I could switch over to this now. I see custom SmartApps. It looks like webcore is working. I understand the change from routines to automations/scenes. I have several custom device handlers that also seem to be working.

Is it time to come back to the fold? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is not perfect yet, but improving. I keep finding the need to go back to Classic. Some Settings for various devices (custom or native) are not working. I stumbled on two yesterday, changing Settings for HEM custom device and changing setting for builtin Ecobee. Also, converting Classic routines into scenes didn’t go well. I reached a point where new scenes were not saving, I guess I reached my behaviors limit.

2 Likes

WebCoRE doesn’t arm/disarm STHM in the new app yet but you can use automations to do that

2 Likes

im trying to update some of my thermostat DH’s to work better in the new app. ive got them showing but have 3 diferent DH’s, Tkb unerfloor thermostat, sleapy thermeostats and awake stat.
They all look diffent in the new app, the sequenc of the controls are diffent, one has duplicate heating/cooling controls, one dosnt show battery. is the a guid on how to lay out the capabilites etc?

I have the same problem on iOS. If the Classic app is installed, the new app lets me enable presence, but turns it off, I think the first time I enter or leave the home zone.

1 Like

I have my whole house setup as a security system using ST and a V3 hub.
The one area that is flakey is arming and disarming the system when my wife and I come and go.
We are using our cell phones as presence detection.
Should I be using the classic app, or the V3 app for this ? Is one better at presences than the other ?
And does it cause issues if I have them BOTH installed on my phone ?
I am using two @RBoy apps , but other than that all standard devices and automation.

The same in my experience. Both apps with locations services enabled causes issues on iOS.