Sorry, but there was an unexpected error

I have been a positive supporter of ST for almost 2 years. I have had 10 people join, buy the hub, through my recomendation. That may not mean much to ST but it does to me because I don’t take my reputation lightly. ST thank you for letting us down and hurting my reputation!

1 Like

Same issues here. My Echo was doing well until mid afternoon and now it says “OK” for most requests but nothing is executed. As far as I can tell there is one device that it still can control. The stated error pops up several times per hour and my internet is doing fine.

I’ve noticed the same behavior this evening. Thought it was an Echo issue and submitted a ticket to them.

I’ve also noticed my custom routine no longer works.

@slagle - I have a decade of professional experience in tier 2/3 software support. I’d be happy to serve as another guinea pig for testing/reproducing these issues if you need one.

My routines didn’t work either, status pages lists this as known issue. Harmony, and external devices also not working and apparently this is known also.

Actually I think it would be easier of SmartThings if they just listed what does work on the status page, MUCH shorter list :wink:

1 Like

I can’t speak for him, but I can speak against you… because there are over 200 messages in the thread. They should just fix the damned problem.
@Ron, rather than being snarky, you could have provided the answer you claim was there.

2 Likes

I’m seeing this almost all the time now.

There are a couple of other threads about Amazon Echos, Harmony no longer working, and/or smart outlets not working. There is a status update that routines are having problems, and they’re looking into them.

But it does seem like the system has become more unstable this week, again.

1 Like

my notifications say “Away”, but my “My Home” says “Home”. I have been hitting “Away” but it keeps giving me an error, but lists it in the activity feed… Away sets my alarm on my house, turns the temp down, etc… so i have to go log into everything individually quite often now to make it happen.

Still getting frequent error popups in the ST app. My devices and smart lighting apps seem to be working okay (fingers crossed) but routes failed last night but worked this morning. As someone mentioned ST’s status page says they are working on it. My android mobile presence sensor has been acting up this week - seems to be a bit better since yesterday.

In a sad attempt to feel like I have some control I’ve tried various things like running z-wave repair from the api site, hard rebooting the v2 hub (with batteries removed) and restarting my android phone. Also removed all SONOS devices and most 3rd party apps/devices… trying to keep things as simple as possible for the time being.

It’s a bummer because I am afraid to do all the things I really want to do like incorporate my alarm for fear of things not working properly - still have to pass the “wife approval” test…

E.

Today the Android app has been almost completely unusable for me for some reason.

Every time I try to add a device to a room or mess around with devices I get the whole “unexpected error” thing.

This is the response I got from ST

Hey there,

Thanks for writing in! Sorry to hear you’re seeing these errors.

This issue is actually a known issue at the moment that we’ve seen some users experiencing. We’re currently working on straightening this out on our end, but for the time being it shouldn’t cause any issues with the app.

If you have any other questions or concerns, let me know and I’ll be happy to help you out!

All the best,

I’ve been getting these errors on my android app for what seems like a couple of weeks now. Mostly my routines and everything are running, with a few fails here and there (which is sadly the usual state of affairs) so it doesn’t seem to be affecting my overall system. Kind of annoying getting the pop up on my phone all of the time though.

I am currently using the v1 hub but I own the v2 hub and have been waiting to install it. I have 40 or so things hooked up to smartthings so I know its going to be a serious job getting everything transferred over. But, with this unexpected issue business happening, I’m worried its going to be an even tougher job.

I think this isnt true… it’s getting worse. Any time I need to access the app I get this error, if I navigate between any of the bottom tabs I get this error. If i’m viewing logs on mobile I get this error. Every time I use the app… ERROR!!

It’s causing issues with the usability and functionality of the app, and that’s a big problem. I’ve emailed support numerous times now, and I’m getting tired of the responses because it is not getting better.

I have combed through hours of android logcat dumps in hopes to find out what is causing this issue in my situation with no luck.
the app doesn’t seem to dump the information to the system logs when the error occurs.

Smartthings peeps please feel free to reach out to me if you need a decent android resource in figuring this out.

You know, sometimes it seems as if they are completely out of touch with the real world!! “Shouldn’t cause any issues” my a$$!

2 Likes

I agree this is driving me crazy, For example my wife came home and of course the alarm system didn’t disarm because her presence wasn’t detected. Walks in the door and the alarm goes off, Knowing this is pissing her off by the second I am frantically trying to disarm the alarm but keep getting this message. At this point i’m starting to sweat and have no choice but to unplug the alarm as I am burning red and almost throw my phone through the window.

1 Like

Supposedly the issues from yesterday are fixed, still receiving the unexpected error though. (droid).

It did let me create Rule Machine rule - for the first time without errors, now ,maybe I can learn to use it.

I’m a brand new user and needed tech support out of the box. They responded within 24 hours but subsequent follow-up and updated emails, from me, addressing further issues have been completely ignored. Been waiting now since 1/7/16 for a follow up email from Kyle.

Not a good record thus far, performance wise regarding the product, or tech support regarding much needed help to fix issues to further build an automated system.

I truly was hoping this was going to work

Same thing happened here. Plus, my presence wasn’t detected leaving my house today and it kept my thermostat at my “morning wake up confort level” all god damned day.

Smartthings is quite literally, next to, pointless when I cannot count on it for the basic automation shit. Probably heading back to Vera when I get around to ordering and configuring. Also, still getting the unexpected error every time i open my app. Can’t even view my notifications.

1 Like

Speak against me all you like I will continue to point out when people make etiquette mistakes on the forum. He only needed to read the previous 5 or 6 posts to answer his question.

I did, he asked if the issue happens when taking normal actions and I answered “Yes” which is does. If you read the posts it isn’t just happening to people when they try to add devices, smart apps etc. It happens all the time and seemingly randomly, so “Yes, it happens during normal actions”. I agree my post would have been a little rude if I didn’t also answer his question but I did so I feel my post was appropriate.

Thanks for your opinion just the same, folks in this community know how helpful I am and I have a good reputation. I suspect you will learn this over time. Sorry if you found my post offensive. It certainly wasn’t aimed at you.

1 Like

For you, mine still works extremely well thank you :wink: