Sorry, but there was an unexpected error

@slagle, the fact that you are asking this question is a bit concerning. You can’t do anything on the app and not have this problem, and this has been going on for the last 3 weeks at least. Makes me wonder if anyone at Smartthings is actually using smartthings. I dont understand why the employees themselves don’t find this extremely annoying.

4 Likes

Ya’all are missing the point. I am just trying to gather more information then we currently have. I generally don’t like to make this forum a place for support, but in rare cases I will ask you guys for more information. I currently have 137 devices in my one bedroom apartment. Most just sit on a shelf and point out at the room and every day I walk around my apartment to test every device that are in my “automations”. So to answer your question… yes I do use smartthings. :smile: Other SmartThings employees also use it, they may not have as many devices as I do, but they use it.

I am already working with @kevintierney as well. He was more than willing to help me test and give me some feedback.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know what I do any different to everyone else such that I have significantly less issues, yes I get this error but it’s very very rare, the stability of the app for me (and my GF on iOS) has improved significantly since V2 was released.

That’s not to say I am without issues but there MUST be some contributing factor. May be it’s number of devices? Maybe it’s to do with the quality of router being used, maybe it’s due to a lack of interference?

@Ron Ditto on that comment. Seems to happen randomly for me - but kind of a lot. For example, yesterday I was trying to edit a smartapp I that had stopped working for some reason - I tried to remove it and got the error (and it wasn’t removed). Then today I was able to remove it. Then later today I installed the “speaker control” smart app and tried to use it. When I saved it, it didn’t function, so i clicked into it to try and edit it again and got the error. This really sucks.

1 Like

Very amateurish software developers. This is programming 101 guys! It’s better to have no error prompt than an error prompt saying “Unexpected error” to annoy the heck out of users.

1 Like

True for most of the errors I am getting but one out of 5 actually makes the action I am taking fail so just having the action fail with no message would be really annoying also. It is a difficult balance. The other think I worry about is the fact that likely the messages that seem to be failures with no problem caused are really just background actions failing. For example a motion sense notification failing in the app may display this message but you would have no idea at all that there was a motion event and now you will never know that you missed it. This could be worse such as a leak detection event, etc. These errors are very disconcerting.

1 Like

Samsung software is supposed to suck. I guess SmartThings’ just trying to blend in into the corporate culture. :smile:

4 Likes

Lol, so true. I have a Samsung TV and had to disconnect it from internet because of annoying announcements about upcoming software updates that could not be disabled. They came up frequently in the middle of watching movies, playing games etc. Support told me no way to disable so I disconnected network :smile:

I’ve never posted to this thread, as I figured this was a known issue with the 2.0.7 release.
I get this error in dynamic page apps, after it goes away I’m able to continue without issue.
Appears there’s no rhyme or reason to it.
I also get error loading smart apps, all the time as well as network errors.
While 2.0.7 no longer crashes every three seconds for me, seems the crashes have been replaced with these.

4 Likes

This is not just a 2.0.7 problem. I am still on 2.0.6 Android. I intentionally did not upgrade. And the problem showed up about 4 weeks ago.

2 Likes

I just started having this problem not too long ago. The initial error started after I made a smart app, after I disabled the app the error kept occurring. Using Android 2.0.7 the error mainly happens when I navigate to “My Things”

Don’t want to read through the whole thread but I keep getting this error as well. Seems to pop up whenever I’m trying to view my activity on the app. I haven’t added anything new in a while. Are other people also seeing it while trying to view activity?

Why not, would have answered your question

Yes

1 Like

I get this issue all the time along with “You appear to be having issues with your network.” Between these two, almost makes the app unusable. As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with my network at either end. However, if I turn off my Wi-Fi, the network error appears to go away so perhaps the W-LAN I’m on is blocking something. It would be good to know how the app connects. Presumably it just uses HTTP over port 80 or 443.

I am having the same issues and submitted a ticket for this

Me too and it just seems to have started just last week or so. Depends on where I am in the app it seems to really be popping up.

I noticed in the geofence debug log I am getting a “REST CALL FAILURE: Home 403 Forbidden” also a little while ago I was getting "failed to connect to “graph.api.smartthings.com”.

Note: you can see this info if you go to “support” then “help us debug” and “show geofence log”. I dunno if this is relevant or not of course…

As of this moment it seems to be popping up a lot…

1 Like

More stuff - it always seems to take forever to get into the Smart Home Monitor and now I get that error popup every time. Also when I tried to exit via the “back” icon in Android the app crashed… sigh. I wonder if their servers are having issues.

At least most of my stuff seems to be still working.

@slagle This error is driving me crazy. Did anyone answer any of the doors you are knocking on ? Please let us know that someone is working on this.

2 Likes

[quote=“Ron, post:221, topic:18532”]
Please let us know that someone is working on this.
[/quote]They definitely are. I am talking to the stake holders as we speak

1 Like

I am getting this error and in addition, my Amazon Echo suddenly stopped controlling certain devices. She says “OK”, but nothing happens.

1 Like