Something big is coming! (June 2021 app update)

Thanks very much I was able to delete and add it back in. Unfortunately the issue of the sensors claiming they are offline within Home Monitor persists.

1 Like

There are a few others reporting similar issues of offline devices in STHM.

4 Likes

Android (Samsung Galaxy) buttons are overlapping and interfering with app buttons. It is quite annoying and does not allow to open life and automations easily. I hope it gets fixed.

So while your having fun with Android version us iOS folks are slightly jealous. Any idea when the iOS version will be available? You all will have found all the bugs soon. :smiley:

2 Likes

I would say less ā€œjealousā€œ than ā€œterrified.ā€œ But we will see. :wink:

6 Likes

I havenā€™t got it yet. It is the slowest rollout Iā€™ve ever experienced with the app.

1 Like

If I could roll back to the previous version I would, I love a new app but the honey moon soon wore off with this one

Your current home page will loose room separation so you end up with just a long scroll of boring squares that all look the same with small text in each box describing what and where it is and on my phone I canā€™t even read the bottom icons

I finally had the app update this morning. Iā€™d say it is probably a slight improvement though quite a few bits need tidying up:

• The status tiles on the favourites screen would have the potential to be genuinely useful if you knew they were there. You only get any visual indication there are more to be seen once you have already guessed they might scroll and start swiping them. You also need to be able to choose which ones are enabled and in which order to display them, and also control what each one is monitoring,
  • Why do status tiles scroll side to side anyway? Nothing else on the page does.
  • The Room name on the Favourites tiles wastes space and the visual separation is lost . Single line separators with the Room name in the same size font would be more useful. There is an argument for having each line scroll sideways to match the status tiles if scrolling is going to be a thing.
  • Why is the Life tab polluted with installer tiles that just replicate the ā€˜+ā€™ menu?
  • Are we supposed to guess the names of the Scenes? Why are the tiles so small?
  • Let the Automation names scroll rather than going on to a new line. It looks stupid with different sized tiles.
  • Mixing Quick Controls in with Automations sucks, but not as much as no longer being able to change their names once they are created. As they are now mixed together shouldnā€™t Quick Controls now also open into an editor rather than linking back to the device page, and shouldnā€™t the editor now say which device is being worked on?
  • Why does the Voice Assistant page refer you to Connected Services when it is called Linked Services, and why arenā€™t Linked Services on the Menu page anyway? They are an integration not an app setting.

I know Iā€™m being picky, but Iā€™m not the one who oversold it as ā€˜something bigā€™.

Iā€™m not excited about the Local Automation either as not a single one of my Automations or Rules is yet capable of running locally. Again too early to go big on that.

3 Likes

How to resolve
Throw an ā€˜Alphaā€™ tag at it and push it out to the ones that seem to care
Adjust as necessary, throw a 'Beta tag at the top push it out fortnightly and listen to feedback

Who knows, something CRAZY like that might even work

2 Likes

I may be in the minority, but I like the layout of the Favorites and Devices pages. The Favorites page is not meant to display everything, just the things that are important to see at a glance. The Devices page will show all you Devices. You can sort alphabetically, or by rooms. All the rooms are there for you to see.

5 Likes

Itā€™s a Favorites page, not a Rooms page. You can add and remove favorites so are just seeing what you want, so the Home page is no longer cluttered with all your devices.

Rooms are in the Device page, one over. Additionally, the Devices page allows you to use the drop-down to quickly go to the room you want to. No more scrolling up and down on the home page to find the room youā€™re looking for.

New app is much more organized IMO.

5 Likes

ā€˜more organizedā€™ is a matter of personal taste.

Seems like it comes down to how gou use your home page. They could solve the problem pretty easily by making ā€˜group by roomsā€™ or maybe call it classic for grins - optional on the favorites page.

On, (default for existing users) looks and acts similar to old - newapp
Off, (default for new users) looks and acts like new-new app

2 Likes

My home page was never cluttered, it contained my favorites per room with a single click to access the room

To access a room, itā€™s now more clicks, more scroll then more scrolll

I have 18 rooms, 2 or 3 items per room I like access to or monitor a devices state, 3 x 18 with no separator makes for a pointless page

Others have more rooms than me, God knows how they now use the app

Yes, the point is that many of us are accustomed to seeing our Favourites grouped by Room, as happened with the Dashboard in the previous versions of the app. Although we can still do that, we have lost the visual cues that show where one group ends and the next begins. You canā€™t leave a space between lines of tiles and you canā€™t leave a space at the end of a line.

We also note that each tile now includes the Room name in it which takes up more space and makes the text very cluttered and donā€™t see that as an improvement.

2 Likes

I donā€™t - except when I HAVE to. The app is a means to an end and used when no other way is possible.

Primary interface for me an d my family are:
Alexa Voice
Action Tiles Tablets
Status indicator lamps on specific Scene Controllers (really digging the Zooz Zen32)
and then FINALLY - The app.

WHen I do use rooms - I very quickly abandoned the slider panel and use the dropdown next to room name. That said, to actually get to one of my rooms itā€™s actually one click easier than what I used to do.

Old New App:
Hamburger Menu > Rooms > Scroll > [Roomname]

New New App:
Devices Panel > Room Name Dropdown > [Roomname]

1 Like

Apparently automations that turn on/off scenes donā€™t run locally. Also, the automations canā€™t do ā€œstart at specific timeā€ and ā€œend at sunriseā€ which can be done in Smart Lighting.

1 Like

and if they actually reported device states correctly. I have an ST camera offline, which it is reporting correctly in the status tile, but I also have a door sensor offline for 11 hours due to a dead battery, but itā€™s not showing that in the status tile. Itā€™s definitely saying offline on the deviceā€™s tile (and IDE).

You were much more polite than me. Who thought of that brilliant idea?

2 Likes

The Favorites page is useless. I canā€™t get rid of the ā€œNo Room Assignedā€, STHM, or Weather tiles. I canā€™t group items I put on the Favorites page in any way.

In the Devices page, I can rearrange the room order for everything EXCEPT Personal Devicesā€¦ugh.

Did they do any user testing before releasing this version?

1 Like

You must be new here :rofl:.

7 Likes

Unfortunately not :-/

1 Like