[Solved] (in a round-about way), Turn on/off outlet or switch from Blue Iris

Continuing the discussion from Trying to get "HTTP Motion Endpoint" to work from Blue Iris or web browser:

Well, I’ve found a workable solution to this, using IFTTT. It’s not ideal, but it’s working, until I can either figure out why it won’t work directly, or get input from anyone who’s successfully done it.

Here’s what I did to get this working.

1. Set up outlet or switch in Smartthings.
  2. Create an IFTTT account, and connect TWO channels to it. a) Smartthings and b) Maker.
  3. In IFTTT, make a new “Recipe” (you will create 2 total). I called my first one “BlueIrisCam2On” (you may use whatever you want).
  4. Use “BlueIrisCam2On” as the Trigger.
  5. Select “Turn On” as the Action, and select your Outlet or Switch to turn on.
  6. Create a SECOND IFTTT Recipe, called “BlueIrisCam2Off”.
  7. Use “BlueIrisCam2Off” as the Trigger.
  8. Select “Turn Off” as the Action, and select the SAME outlet or switch to turn off.

Now, in Blue Iris, under the camera properties, go to the Alerts page.

1. Enable “Request from a web service”
  2. Click on “Configure” button.
  3. In the “When Triggered” box, enter this:
    maker.ifttt.com/trigger/(BlueIrisCam2On)/with/key/(Enter Your Maker Key Here)
    (Replace the (BlueIrisCam2On) with your ON Trigger Name)
    (Replace the (Enter Your Maker Key Here) with your key, from the “Maker” Channel screen in IFTTT. They are all different.
  4. In the “Request again when trigger is reset” box, enter this:
    maker.ifttt.com/trigger/(BlueIrisCam2Off)/with/key/(Enter Your Maker Key Here)
    (Replace the (BlueIrisCam2Off) with your OFF Trigger Name)
    (Replace the (Enter Your Maker Key Here) with your key, from the “Maker” Channel screen in IFTTT. They are all

That’s it! If you trigger the camera, your switch or outlet should come on!

I hope this helps someone, somewhere.

2 Likes

Glad you got it working. Are you using Foscam’s? If so, you can use RBoy’s Foscam DH and SmartApp to use the camera as a motion sensor. It may work with some other camera types too. I use this for my front porch light after we go to bed.

No, not using foscams. I have used them, but found them to not be as reliable as others, constantly getting locked up. For this project, I’m trying some new cameras, Alptop 4mp POE’s. So far, they seem pretty good, nice setup, good quality, high-res.

I will look for that app though, see if it is of any help. Thanks.

Did you try Kubicki’s Smart App? Blue Iris motion detection to activate smart app

It does basically the same thing as your IFTTT/Maker recipes, but within a smartapp instead of setting up a bunch of recipes.

I’m about to launch into getting mine setup, I was going to follow you with IFTTT, but I think I’m going to give the smartapp a go first.

How did I not ever fine this. I have a 16 camera blue iris setup.

Yes, I tried the app you listed, but could not get it to work properly. The IFTTT process is working, and has worked flawlessly for me since I set it up.

How long is the IFTTT delay? Tried using it to turn on a light as I walked into a room it was a 2-3 second delay.

Interesting. I haven’t gotten to it yet, but I’ll post if I get it to work or not. Otherwise, I’ll follow you with using IFTTT.

Well, I couldn’t get Kubicki’s Smart App to work either, but I didn’t try too hard because the IFTTT setup is super easy. Got it going, thanks @rcrosier!

Edit: I actually have this triggering a simulated motion sensor, not a switch, so I can use it for Smart Home Monitor and other alert-type things. The camera/Blue Iris combo handles outdoor motion much better than anything else I’ve tried. I couldn’t find any Simulated Switch + Motion device type handlers, so I just whipped this one up:

https://github.com/flyjmz/jmzSmartThings/tree/master/devicetypes/flyjmz/virtual-motion-switch.src

Hope it helps.

1 Like

Glad you got it. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out the other app, and then when I found the IFTTT solution, I had it going in just a short time.

The main problem I had with the smartapp listed above, IIRC, was that each time I went in to the smartapp, the numbers in the URL changed. So I kept having the wrong URL in Blue Iris.

I finally was able to set it up by going into IDE instead to copy the numbers needed from the smartapp there…

Sorry I’m being vague with my terms… I forget exactly what was changing it’s been a while since I set up, and I’m not going back into the smartapp because that’ll probably break things!!

Worked a treat, thanks @rcrosier using @JMZ 's virtual mottion device.

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone is trying to set this up, I have a much improved smartapp that will take care of your needs. It offers full Blue Iris integration, and creates clean Camera Devices that act like motion sensors so you can subscribe to them in any other smart app. So if you want to use Blue Iris motion to do anything in SmartThings, this is going to work great:

1 Like

Hello I realize this is a old post and it may not work anymore , but I trying to Turn on/off switch from a Blue Iris camera when motion is detected. I was able to connect 2 channels to my account (Smartthing and Maker). I can’t get seem to get past Step 3. " In IFTTT, make a new “Recipe” (you will create 2 total). I called my first one “BlueIrisCam2On” (you may use whatever you want)". IFTTT won’t allow me to create a Recipe called BlueIrisCam2On with BlueIrisCam2On as a trigger.Can you assist in configuring this a configuring this feature. Thanks

Wow, it’s been so long since I did this, I’m not sure I can remember. Let me try to take a look at it when I get a minute and see if I can recall. I’m not even positive if it’s still running/working…

Thank you. Any assistance would be helpful. Thanks

If you use the BI Fusion smartapp to link SmartThings and Blue Iris, then your cameras become motion sensors inside SmartThings. Then you can use it just like any other motion sensor and turn a switch on/off or anything. I prefer the Super Notifier Smartapp for those things. It’ll let you turn switches on or off based on all kinds of things and has a whole bunch of execution restrictions too so you should be able to do whatever you want. The BI Fusion instructions are a bit out of date, but still work. (Blue Iris 5 changes a lot of the look of things). Check out each of their forums, should’ve answered any question you may have there, but if just post in there.

1 Like

Thanks I set it up last night and it works perfectly.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear this, because I have not had a chance to look at my solution to see what I did… maybe one day I’ll find time to look at this new solution, as it looks MUCH nicer…

1 Like