Sniffer (smell) device

And this blog from SmartThings themselves suggest plugging a heater into their smart outlets https://blog.smartthings.com/how-to/try-this-a-heater-that-knows-when-youre-cold/

We do actually have two heaters using ST smart plugs and never had any trouble with them, whereas I have now had two rather concerning heater-related issues with TP-Link plugs

That blog article is recommending a setup that will only run the heater when the person is in the same room. In the US, most space heaters say they should not be run “unattended,” which is why that use case is written the way it is.

Well I think that’s a different problem. Electric heaters themselves can be a danger if left unattended - particularly if turned on unattended and you’ve forgotten you draped your pajamas over the one in the bedroom or left the hamster in front of the fan heater. I don’t get the feeling the caveat was “in case our smart plug melts”. I remember the days when people were admonished by fire prevention officers to turn off their TVs at the wall each evening. Nowadays no one bothers with that, in fact we’re not meant to as they like to update themselves at 3am.

The thing is, that even if I wait until I am in the room to turn the heater on, and try to remember to turn it off as I leave, there could be times I forget to turn it off. That’s where the smart plug could save me!

1 Like

What country are you in?

UK. And I don’t have central heating etc. Space heaters are our only heating. It’s an old house. Also, the government are wanting to phase out gas heating in favour of electric for “green” reasons.

1 Like