Smatthings Motion Detectors Not Working out of the Box

I installed a smart things-based system last month, with multiple devices, including about a half dozen ST Motion detectors. Recently, I wanted to add another one, so I bought one at Amazon. When I got it, I pulled the tab. Nothing. No LED, no pairing, nothing. I tried pushing the button on the inside, changing batteries. Nothing. I figured I got a bad one, so I returned it to Amazon, and they sent a new one. I got it today. Same thing. Now I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong. I saw the troubleshooting article that talked about blowing on the contacts because of residue from the tab. Tried it, even tried using the old trick of rubbing a pencil eraser on the contacts. Still nothing.

Am I missing something, or is quality control really that bad?

@Javier1,

When you pulled the tab, you didn’t see any LED lights on the device? You might want to let support know about this because it’s certainly not normal.

yep, i talked with support today. they’re sending me out a replacement. No LED when I pulled the tab. No LED when I pulled and reinserted the battery, holding the button down. No LED when I changed the battery from another unit i have which works. What is strange is that this is the second unit (both from Amazon), that has had this problem. I returned the first one and they sent me out this one. Same behavior. Bad batch, maybe?

I just had this happen Friday. I opened the box and tried to pair it. Nothing. No LED when pushing the button as per directions. I checked the battery ad it was 3.4v which is good. I ordered a replacement from Amazon and got it yesterday. That one worked perfectly pairing instantly. Maybe a bad run. IDK.

I had a DOA too.

Replacement was fine.

I think the problem was the contacts for the battery as I could just about get it to work by holding the battery in manually with some force.

I had one that would keep failing. I thought it was the contacts not being ‘prenounced’ enough to make a good pressure contact with the battery.
When I tried to lever them out a bit I broke one of the contacts.
I soldered wire on to both contacts to make a good contact with the battery, re-inserted battery and it has been working faultlessly since.
I agree with an earlier suggestion, most of these issues are probably due to poor battery contact.

@bobbles @djtucker,

I second and third that motion, no punn intended!

I have 3 of the ST motion sensors, and they’ll be the last ones I buy too. The battery compartment design is terrible.

It seems it was just a bad run. My others work fine. I like the ST motion controllers. I’m not throwing out the baby with the bath water. (When’s the last time you heard that one?!)