Smarttings Hub thinks my iPhone is "Home" but it is not

I understand that geolocation works better with wifi on, and yes wifi is enabled, but that doesn’t apply to the arrival sensor.

When it was working correctly, using my iPhone, I barely got to the end of my street before the “goodbye” activity would run. Now that I’m using the “more reliable” (HAHA) arrival sensor I get miles away before it runs “goodbye”.

What “Activity timeout” did you set to 0? I am still not following what you changed or where you changed it.

The Hub’s Presence Sensor Timeout is what ST uses to determine how long to wait, after losing the zigbee signal from the ST Presence Detector physical key-fob device, before changing the status of the “presence” of that device to “away”. If this timeout is set to 10 minutes, for example, you could be quite far from the house before anything would change. I use 3 minutes for mine and do not have any false triggers.

The timeout for the “goodbye” activity. I set it in the settings for the activity.

On the “Everyone leaves” page at the bottom. “Action delay time (minutes)”

I checked the timeout in the hub settings. It is set to “2”.

Ahhh… That helps. Thanks for clarifying that.

As a separate troubleshooting step, you could create a custom Smart Home Monitor monitoring rule. With SHM you can get a push/SMS notification when any presence sensor “arrives or leaves.” This might help diagnose the difference between Presence Detection issues and Routine Activation.

I hadn’t thought of that, good idea. I’ll do that now.

The newer arrival sensors use the arrival-sensor-ha.groovy device type. With this device, the presence timeout is set in the device preferences in the mobile app. The default is 2 minutes but you can set the timeout to 2, 3, or 5 minutes.

For the older arrival sensors, which use the arrival-sensor.groovy device type, the presence timeout defaults to 2 minutes as well but the timeout can be changed in the Hub utilities in the IDE. You can set the timeout between 2 and 10 minutes.

2 Likes

If you’re still seeing this issue - do you have a new router or public IP address for your internet connection?

See this post in case any of it applies to you and how to solve it.

No new hardware, no new IP.

here’s a way to manually force status:

not ideal but maybe this jumps starts it to work again.

1 Like

I’m about to rip SmartThings out of my life… Tonight it has now thought my arrival sensor has left 4 times while I’ve been sitting here on the couch.

This isn’t an iPhone thing, this isn’t an “arrival sensor is better” thing… This is a SmartThings is crap thing!

I’ve been having the same issues here… also on iOS 11 beta. Not sure if that’s the root cause, though, as I believe there was also a SmartThings app update around the same time.

Anyway, something interesting that I just noticed is that, despite my phone finally being recognized as ‘Away’ (only about 4-5 hours late), Smart Home Monitor is still shown in the app as being “Disarmed” [bad]. But if I log into IDE, the Alarm System Status is shown as “Armed (Away)” [good]. There is clearly some kind of disconnect here between the app on my phone and the hub in my living room. And it’s not a timing thing; IDE says the system was armed about a half hour ago now (5 min after my presence was finally updated… this is as it should be).

I’ve tried killing the app so that it restarts fresh, but it still doesn’t agree with what IDE is telling me. Now if only I could get some rando ne’er-do-well to open my front door so I can see which one (app or IDE) is telling me the truth about what mode my hub is in…

There is definitely something going on with ST app + iOS 11 beta.

SmartThings app only gets location(presence) updates when launched. And is not updating on background.
ST won’t know that I left Home until I manually launch app. After few seconds I see my status in the app changes from Present to Away.
If app is not manually launched, my status never changes.

I tried IFTTT geofencing and it works perfectly fine on iOS 11 beta. I receive push notifications when I enter or leave defined area.

Few days ago there was ST app update 2.5.1 that said "This release changes a configuration for Apple as they prepare for iOS 11"
Looks like presence fix wasn’t a part of it.

@Brad_ST
Hope ST devs can take a look?

+1 having the same problem. It’s driving me mad

Yep… having presence issues with my phone (iPhone 7 iOS 10.3.3), my wife’s phone (iPhone 6s iOS 10.3.3) and coworkers phone (iPhone 7 iOS 10.3.3) recently. Things were really quite solid for many months from all three devices across two hubs (home, office). But is seems after some recent change (app? backend?) things have deteriorated out of the blue.

I’ve tried rebooting the phone, resetting phone network settings, logging out of the ST app, removing the ST app and re-installing, etc. I haven’t gone as far as removing and re-adding the mobile presence sensor instances because honestly that would suck having to go in and readd/configure them in all the associated automations across two hubs. Just hope someone is looking into it. Something changed on my otherwise stable systems.

I’ve started a separate thread for this feature being broken in iOS 11. Looking for other people to share their experiences for this specific bug. Thanks.

Again, this is happening on more than just iOS 11 beta. It is also happening on iOS 10.3.3.

Hey everyone,

Same issue here. Like everyone else, I’ve gone and checked all my settings (location base with settings, background, etc.) I’ve deleted and reinstalled, reset the hub… blah blah and so on. I have a total of three accounts wife’s, daughter and mine and my account/device is the only one with issues.

that’s surprising - I have had multiple phones on 10.3.3 and never missed a beat ever

1 Like

iOS11 is here and I’m having presence issues. When is a fix coming?

Merge this.