Smarttings Hub thinks my iPhone is "Home" but it is not

I’m sure that’s very frustrating. There’s nothing I hate more than having my system set up with everything working just the way I want on Monday, and then to get up on Tuesday and find that things are not working same way when I haven’t changed anything. Honestly, I hate that. :rage: Since SmartThings is a cloud-based system, and they can change things on the platform at any time without notification, unfortunately it does happen from time to time. That’s one reason it can be helpful to get in touch with support right away, as they can at least investigate back end changes which we may not have any information about.

In your specific situation, I have heard reports from other people on the beta of iOS 11 that The SmartThings app does not appear to be fully compatible yet (it’s not required to be since iOS 11 is still in beta) and in particular that it is not correctly running in background. So that does sound like something you might’ve run into. If so, it will likely fix itself once IOS 11 is in full release. I know that doesn’t help for now, but at least it’s something to keep an eye on.

Thanks for clearing that up!

1 Like

Agreed, super frustrating to having something running perfectly for months with no change and then suddenly they stop. Then on top of it you come here to see if anyone else has experienced it and you get crap from some instead of help.

My automations for leaving and arriving worked yesterday but not for a few days before that even after reboots of everything, removing and adding back my phone and even removing my personal phone and trying it with my work phone (running iOS 10).

I don’t need my phone to be running the Hue app for my Hue lights to know I’m “home” and shouldn’t have to have the SmartThings app running for it to know either.

1 Like

Thanks for posting your experience. I did the update to iOS 11 public beta 3 and am now having the same intermittent issues as you are with presence detection. Sounds like Smarthings needs an app update. :frowning:

1 Like

Key thing ios beta. I had an iPhone and got rid of it for reasons of another thread but when I beta tested 10 had same issue.

I am on beta 8 with Android and works perfect just saying.

Actually iOS 11 beta isn’t the key. You’ll see that I’ve had the exact same results with another phone running iOS 10. And if Android were my only choice I’d go without a phone.

All a matter of opinion as I’m the reverse. I like control and customized phone’s not gerneric. But I digress as I said opinion and could be debated forever. Love in cold or warm like outside inside. Hands on at work or desk. It’s all a matter of the individual also Verizon or another carrier. What works for you I guess. But I said key because ST won’t support beta. Not why I is not working. It was hit it miss when I had iPhone. It because at least me and a friend (engineer) figured it was the way iPhone doesn’t allow and or restricted background apps.

Again, this has nothing to do with it being beta or not because it’s not not working with iOS 10 either. And that’s not an opinion, it’s a fact.

If you read my reply I stated when I had an Iphone it was hit and miss. And it has to do from what me and a friend gathered is how apple restricts apps working in the background. One of the reasons I left apple.

Other apps run in the background on iOS just fine. The problem here seems to be with the ST app.

1 Like

Yes they do but unless apple changed things its not full time background running. Battery issue what apple always says. My kids have iphones and its the same hit and miss while mine is 100% accurate A UA Wifes not. Both not iphones.

Did you use the same ST account on both your personal iPhone and the work iPhone? If both were configured to be presence sensors using the account at the same time, you will get screwed up performance.

No, not at the same time. I removed my personal phone from “things” before adding work phone and removed work phone before adding back personal phone. The only reason I added my work phone was to try with iOS 10.

1 Like

Don’t blame iOS versions for ST mobile presence issues. Philips, Nest presence is spot on but ST app background refresh sucks. There has been several ST mobile app updates over several iOS updates but it never shows the right status on ST app unless force kill it. This has been. acknowledged by ST support months back, users have been complaining for months, but they never fix it. One year back they fixed it but then they broke it again.

Tried using an arrival sensor all day yesterday. While it did work it wasn’t until I was miles away from home, like 4 or 5. Switching to an arrival sensor clearly is not the answer.

I have never had a presence issue with my iPhone devices in a year and a half and in the last week my phone has gotten stuck “home” twice. The only change I can think of from my side is iOS 11 Public beta 3.

Sent my logs to support but not sure what else I can do. It literally has been flawless on multiple different phones since I set it up.

1 Like

please report back if you get a response from support! I’m experiencing the same issue with the public beta.

1 Like

Same issue here. Was working for a long period of time…last several months… but last update seems to have broken it.

I wish I had a silver bullet for mobile presence but I don’t. I do want to clarify though that the Hub does not play a role in your phone’s mobile presence. If you are using an arrival sensor, that is a ZigBee device which does communicate directly with the Hub. With mobile presence on your phone, that is independent of the Hub. So rebooting the Hub won’t have any impact there.

The arrival sensor however seems to have a larger field of detection. If I go to the gym, 4 miles away, it never triggers my “goodbye” event. When I go to work I get 15 minutes away, about 10 miles, before “goodbye” is triggered. When using my phone, and it works, I get to the end of the street before it triggers “goodbye”.