SmartTiles v5.8: Deployed to Blue & Green Editions. Release notes, etc. (follow this Topic for updates...)

Login issues aside, which have been discussed at depth, I am having troubles launching my pages on my desktop PC. They launch but it just shows plain black and white text. Launching on my mobile devices work just fine. What am I doing wrong? I am using the same launcher URL shared through my bookmarks.

What browser? Any firewall enabled?

We’ve had this reported and it turns out to be either very temporary, or the result of obscure browser settings (ad blockers, anti-virus, proxy, firewall) or local PC or network firewall causing some critical SmartTiles resources to be blocked.

Tried with both Chrome and Edge 
 same result with both. I do have a firewall of course like all responsible PC users do. Let me check the settings and see. Are there specific ports I should make sure are open?

EDIT: I paused my ESET firewall and tried it again and the same behavior happened, so it isn’t a firewall issue. Also tried with IE 11 and same result. This is what it looks like:

No. You can press Ctrl-Shift-I to view your browser’s console when you refresh the page and see exactly which resources are being blocked.

Please also see this post linked below and the ones that follow it in the thread: SmartTiles v5.8: Deployed to Blue & Green Editions. Release notes, etc. (follow this Topic for updates...) - #324 by tgauchat

thanks for the tips
 My system is failing to load the js and CSS files - likely a security issue. Here are the errors:

EDIT: I tried loading the
https:// smarttiles5 dot firebaseapp dot com/assets/icon.png

file directly and my browser said the site can’t be reached. Really weird. At least now I have a simpler way to test my configuration. Once I get this to work then I will be all set

Got it working!!! For others using ESET, here is what you need to do. The prior post sort of says this but it is pretty vague. To get this to work you MUST disable HTTPS and HTTP protocol checking in ESET. To do this with version 9 you go to Setup, then Internet protection, then click on the little gear for configuring Web access protection, Then expand the Web Protocols section, then disable both HTTP and HTTPS protocol checking. I think you can also add the firebaseapp.com address as an exception from checking and it will work too. I will try that next.

EDIT: Yes, adding *.firebaseapp.com/* as an exception to not check worked. That way I can leave the feature on for security anti-phising purposes. Although I must say this seems overly cautious - I think ESET got carried away.

2 Likes

Some people are finding if they leave their tablet on all the time it will maintain connection and not log out. I myself have had good luck using Fully Kiosk browser to display my smarttiles. It has the ability to set how often you would like it to refresh the page. I currently have it set to every 15 minutes and when I open the page (via motion).

Evidently Fully Kiosk Browser hasn’t worked for everyone. I just know on my tablet I have not had to log back in for a long time now. Now it does get refreshed often as it is in a high traffic area, but the tablet has been idle all night every night and I can’t remember the last time I picked it up that it wasn’t connected.

1 Like

That is really great! I did not mean to be critical, as you guys are really on the cutting edge of what’s possible and I am so thankful for all the hard work you’ve done on this app. It’s the only game in town, from what I can tell.

On a side note, if you were to expand the services it works with, I think people would pay good money for this app - I know I would. To be honest, the only reason I bought a smart things hub was to allow me to try out Smarttiles for my LIFX bulbs. If it had hooks for august lock, gogogate2, harmony hub, and a few of the other more popular smart home packages I would not think twice about dropping $50 for a license.

1 Like

Oh, and PS - my dashboard has stayed logged in for the last two days. Not sure how or why, but not complaining!

Great advice! Thanks!

1 Like

I appreciate your thanks and enthusiasm, Michael!

Since @625alex and I are - barely - a 2 person enterprise, we have to be very choosy as to our strategies for picking features for the next and ongoing generations of SmartTiles. The “big V6” is a doozy, and, it’s definitely come up in both user questions and our long term brainstorming that horizontal integration with “other” connected devices and smart home automation systems would be an attractive feature.

The thing is, $50 from a few people won’t be enough to make that happen
 We need thousands of Customers.

So once the foundation has been established, each feature we add must bring in additional revenue. Folks who just use LIFX or just uses August or just uses Harmony, etc., aren’t enough to justify each one of those integrations – and the size of the market of single households who use all of them (+ SmartThings?) is statistically very hard to determine.

TL;DR: This is a chicken and egg and that egg grows up to be another chicken who lays another egg scenario

If we can’t get sufficient traction of SmartTiles with the core SmartThings customer base, then it is doubtful we will risk any more time or capital exploring other vendor integrations as that is unlikely to be the “silver bullet” that hits the viable market.

But if each successive generation of SmartTiles is successful, then 
 anything is possible!

3 Likes

Sorry if this has been brought up (
and I’m sure it has). Is there an time-frame for the v6 release?

I finally migrated my installation to the ST Hub V2, and the requirement to be logged into IDE before accessing the SmartTiles frontend marginalizes the convenience. Eagerly awaiting V6.

Nope. We are not giving out a timeframe unless we’re > 90% confident of it.

We’re not a Kickstarter or IndieGogo project that publishes unrealistically optimistic ETAs just to draw in as many dupes as possible.

Thanks
 so we’re not at 90% confidence
 any chance of a % confidence? :slight_smile:

Really miss the convenience of just pressing a bookmark to see the status of house or control plugs. While still fewer clicks to get what I want than the ST app
 Its nice to have the universal access from any web browser.

Is there a hint to adding the “access token=” to the bookmark?

The authorization is the last piece of the pie to mounting a permanent tablet as a control center

access_tokens of any kind can no longer be generated by SmartTiles V5.

The frequent login problem is resolved in V6. We know how urgent this is.

I have kind of gotten around this by setting the tablet to “always on while charging”. Occasionally I have to press the login button. but it is pretty rare.

Thanks! Yeah, that was my thought also
 keep the tablet on while charging. How do you keep the screen from burning in?

Don’t care.

But really, I have the brightness set to auto, I don’t ever plan on using the tablet for anything else anyway, it has a horrible battery drain when shut off, so it would have to live plugged in anyway. Screen burn in is a minor factor anyway if you aren’t using the device for anything else.

On a side note, We have LCD monitors at my office that have run on a steady screen for 8 years. Yes, they are burned in, no, it doesn’t affect their function.

Cheap tablets are cheap, a couple of years service for $50 is pretty good.

Did you try the Fully Kiosk Browser? I moved from Chrome to Fully for this and I wouldn’t go back.

1 Like

I 2nd @Joern comment about fully browser. I have used fully browser now for a few weeks for sure, if not longer. I just got the update and it now allows you to set a url for a screen save to kick in after an amount of time you set. I have tested it by finding an online clock to display. This setup appears to be working great for me. I also have it set up that a few min after the screensaver kicks in, i have the display go dark. Upon motion from the camera, which is part of the fully browser setup, smarttiles immediately re-loads and ready to go without having to log back in. I have gone a few days for sure without having to log in, the times that i have had to, i think is due to the tablet running out of juice. :slight_smile:

My setup is an fire tablet, rooted and running the cyanogen mod, plus Gapps. I also paid for the full version of the fully browser.

I cannot take any credit for figuring it out by doing it this way, i found somebody on these forums who figured this all out and posted it up here. But, i cannot seem to find the link or original author. So just want to give due to the right person. :). Not me. :).

Hope this helps !

4 Likes