SmartTiles Dashboard v5.5: Added UK 🇬🇧, 5 × Dashboards, and more! Nov 6, 2015

I can honestly say that I would not be using SmartThings without the SmartTiles. It allows me to control my system through my tablets or smartphones. I use a $50 Amazon Tablet (I got for $35) and 2 LG Smartphones (I got for $10 each) to control my home. It is much easier to see what is going on through SmartTiles then with Samsung’s app.

1 Like

Did something happen on the ST side of things that would render half of my tiles (which have been working fine for a month) not working with the typical error: {“error”:true,“type”:“java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException”,“message”:“An unexpected error occurred.”}

Tried to refresh the access token, and watched the log.

java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException @ line 1302

Let me know

EDIT this is now working with no interaction from anyone
must have been the cloud :slight_smile:

Yup
 SmartThings broke a critical method related to scheduling over the past couple of days; inconsistently, but no surprise, I guess :confounded:

:ambulance: We’ve just pushed an interim emergency temporary hotfix. NB: :no_entry_sign: Remove / Un-Install" is still broken at the moment.

###Please try again now

1 Like

I’m not sure if this issue has been resolved, but on 2 different iPads running in full screen mode, I do NOT have this issue.

One is an iPad I running iOS 5 (!) and the other is an iPad Mini I running iOS 9.whatever is current.

I rarely if ever invoke routined on my iPhone, so can’t say if I’ve seen the behavior there.

We could never reproduce this. It’s possible that it got fixed with some iOS patch.

Seems unlikely since that iPad I (which I use for SmartTiles constantly) literally hasn’t had an update in years. It’s a depreciated device.

Does anyone else see slow updating of track titles in the Dashboard? I’m using @obycode’s ObyThing Music, and there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to when I get an update.

Everything is working as far as controls go, but sometimes I open a dashboard and get stale info, sometimes I manually refresh the dashboard and it updates, and sometimes it suddenly updates on it’s own as a track changes.

Using the controls in any way doesn’t seem to change this behavior in a predictable way.

Try running with Logging Level set to trace and see if there are any messages related to the triggering of a track update.

I haven’t tried the ObyThing Music (maybe I ought to!..), but from your description, I’d expect it to update consistently within 30 seconds (the dashboard refresh rate).

Messages in Live Logging, or should I look somewhere else?

OK found it. My music player is named iTunes. I see this:

getDeviceLevel iTunes, music

But nothing about track names. And I just watched it through more than a whole song. It’s still showing some cached name from before I opened the dashboard. In other words, the track name is for a song that finished playing before I brought up the dashboard.

Well
 we’re looking for the track description event – I presume “trackDescription” is being updated in the native App? Event history?

And the other Attributes are being updated (mute, etc.)?

I may have to install a copy of the device to do more debugging; we can take this offside at: Support@SmartTiles.click; unless someone here has the same issue (or a successful player
)

def getMusicPlayerData(device) {[tile: "device", type: "music", device: device.id,
name: device.displayName, status: device.currentValue("status"), 
level: getDeviceLevel(device, "music"), 
trackDescription: device.currentValue("trackDescription"),
mute: device.currentValue("mute") == "muted",
active: device.currentValue("status") == "playing" ? "active" : ""]}

Pinging @obycode on this in case he has an idea.

1 Like

The problem here is that ObyThing Music does not support two way communication with SmartThings. The communication can only be initiated by SmartThings, then ObyThing responds with the current state. When the song changes, SmartThings doesn’t know about it until it sends some command and gets the status as a response.

Our new version, which is loooong overdue, is able to send updates to SmartThings. I have tested it with SmartTiles and it works very well. Unfortunately it is still being held up by a few issues and I don’t have a release date to announce yet.

2 Likes

A bit more insight into this behavior for @obycode and @tgauchat:

It seems like this failure to update occurs mostly when a dashboard gets “stale.” That is, when I’ve had a dashboard up and running uninterrupted for 8+ hours.

Just a few minutes ago, I had my main control dashboard on the kitchen counter not updating track names. It was also getting unresponsive about Play/pause control. I closed it, reopened it, and now it’s updating and responding.