SmartTiles Dashboard v5.5: Added UK šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§, 5 Ɨ Dashboards, and more! Nov 6, 2015

This is a known issue in SmartTiles ā€“ although, frankly, weā€™re not sure yet if it may actually be a SmartThings bug, though it that case, we may have to come up with a workaround anyway. Some people are reporting that this happens with SMS/text message numbers too.

Let me know your mobile OS and SmartThings app version.

thanks. Iā€™ve only asked since it wasnt in the FAQ section. Not a big deal if you donā€™t find a solution. my work around now would be to find another public stream to fill the empty tile (maybe a puppy stream).
android STv2.05.

1 Like

Yahā€¦ adding to SmartTiles.click FAQ is a good ideaā€¦ though I wonder how many people actually read that page :worried:ā€¦ Ohā€¦ over 100 hits / day to the info page in general.

You could create a Simulated button as a new device in the ide.

Then using the SmartThings app setup the Notify Me When app to send a text when the button is pushed and put the required message in the message details section.

Now add this button to the SmartTiles dashboard.

Repeat for the second text requirements and youā€™re all set.

2 Likes

Great, thatā€™s a fantastic start thanks.
Unfortunately Iā€™ve run into two problems - the first is that Hive doesnā€™t support ā€œBoostā€ over text - you can only set the temperature, or turn on and off. I have no idea why I thought it did, but itā€™s a feature thatā€™s been requested and no more.
So, to Boost Iā€™d need to send a text, and then wait an hour and send another - the first saying ā€œHEAT 22ā€ and the one an hour later saying ā€œHEAT AUTOā€. That will emulate the boost function.

The second problem is a bit more severe - I canā€™t get Notify Me When to send a text! It does a push notification fine, but I put my own phone number in to debug it (I need to see what number the text arrives from, in order to whitelist that number with Hive) and the message never arrives via SMS.

Back to the drawing boardā€¦ but thanks for the help mechanimal82.

you can try Rule Machine instead of Notify Me When. You can set it up to do the same thing as Notify Me When.

Thanks, Iā€™ve run into a more serious problem though. Well, one serious and one irritating.

The irritating one is that Hive doesnā€™t support a Boost text command, I can only turn heating on/off and set temperature. So to emulate a Boost Iā€™d need to send a command (ā€œHEAT AUTO 22ā€) and then wait an hour before sending ā€œHEAT AUTOā€ to put it back to schedule. This timeout seems to be an issue with Notify Me When, Iā€™ll go and check Rules Machine

The dealbreaker though is that Hive will only accept a +44 UK number to go on itā€™s whitelist of numbers allowed to control the heating. SmartThings SMS messages come from a +1 202 number. Iā€™ve reached out to Hive support to see if this can be overriden, I suspect my answer will be something relevant to the fact theyā€™re just about to launch their own ST style devices (bulbs, sockets, motion sensors, door sensors) and theyā€™d rather not provide cross-platform compatibility.

When you put your number in make sure you put +44 and remove the leading 0. The text will come from a US number so you need the county code.

Edit:
Ah, just seen your latest comment. Maybe try linking with IFTTT to send a text, not sure if this comes from a UK number though.

Yeah, sorry I neglected to say I finally figured out that one! Sometimes I forget thereā€™s a big wide world out thereā€¦ Thanks though :slight_smile:

Right. So, latest state of play is:

Binned the simulated button, went for a switch.
Used IFTTT (since it works with switches, not buttons) to send a HEAT AUTO 22 message from my phone to Hive when turned on, and HEAT AUTO message from my phone when turned off. So Iā€™m using IFTTT to generate the texts from my own phone, hence itā€™s a UK number, and theyā€™re quite happy with that.

So the remaining issue is to work out how to toggle a switch back off when itā€™s been on for 60 minutes. I saw someone mention something about an energy SmartApp so Iā€™ll go hunt that out.

Thanks all so far for help with this!

1 Like

Great that youā€™re finding help with this Chris!
Would you do us big favor and spin off a new Topic for this, though, as it is no longer SmartTiles specific?

This type of integration of SMS with IFTTT via Virtual Switches (etc!) will be useful to a lot of folks.
Thanks!

This appears to be a SmartThings bug. New Topic(s) created:

I just tried installing smart tiles and I get this same message. The only unofficial device type Iā€™m running is for Nest. I removed that device from Smart Tiles but still get the same message.

Thanks for letting us know. @625alex and I have reports of this error from a few users, but not very many, so we are having difficulty pinning it down.

You can send a note, please, to: Support@SmartTiles.click so we donā€™t clutter the Topic with personal debugging steps.

If you know how to use SmartThings API/IDE Live Logging some of that output may give you or us vital clues. Start Live Logging just prior to the actions that cause the error messageā€¦ etc. Similarly, and Firebug or Chrome Debugger output can be helpful.

But in the meantime, feel welcome to experiment by using one of the additional child dashboards with zero device tiles (i.e., just the default tiles), and/or no temperature based tiles, no weather tile, ā€¦ i.e., a few simple combinations to see if you find that any particular ones work and which ones donā€™t.

Hi,

Is there a way to have SmartTiles actually ā€œcontrolā€ instead of just ā€œView state of thingsā€ my Linear GD00Z-4 garage door opener? I have just installed SmartTiles and created my first dashboard, but I cannot seem to find my Garage Door under the ā€œControl thingsā€ part of the app.

Good job on the rest of it though!!!

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

check contact sensors under the Control Thingsā€¦

Thanks for your response. However, on my app, I only see Locks, Music Players and Cameras (Image Capture) under ā€œControl thingsā€¦ā€. Contact Sensors (and thus my GD00Z) only show up under ā€œView state of thingsā€¦ā€ which does not seem to give me the ability to control it.

I have just installed the SmartTiles (Connect) app today. Is there perhaps a different version I need?

Thanks.

Oh! Sorryā€¦ actually go up and look under Control Lightsā€¦ Momentary Switches.

Sorry about that, I should learn to not trust my memory, lol

For some reason my garage door device does not show up under ā€œMomentary Switchesā€. My GD00Z-4 is installed and connected as a ā€œZ-Wave Garage Door Openerā€ type.

In looking into this a little deeper, I compared the settings in the SmartTiles app for my configured dashboard to the settings in one of my rules which are able to control (open or close) my garage door. The rule which can control my door has implemented the ā€œcapability.garageDoorControlā€ which, it seems, the SmartTile app did not implement and therefor is not able to control my garage door. I guess I am out of luck at the moment.