SmartTiles Dashboard v5.5: Added UK šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§, 5 Ɨ Dashboards, and more! Nov 6, 2015

I noticed in an earlier version, but didnā€™t ask about it. Is there a way to make the video feeds NOT have a label?

Thanks for the detailsā€¦ Drake!

Hey gang of SmartTiles fansā€¦

Anybody else with latest iOS and iPad mini experiencing this? Any ideas? Unfortunately, I only have a very old iPad, not updated, but Iā€™ll test on its Safari in a while to see what happensā€¦

Thanks for the help! Itā€™s a great product and am thrilled it is available.

1 Like

Itā€™s definitely SmartTiles putting the label on it. Itā€™s labeled MJPEG Stream 1. (I didnā€™t fill in a label on it) - of course filling in the label field does update with the specified label.

Ha ha ha. :unamused:
The irony is not lost on me, thatā€™s for sure. The thing is, SmartTiles does not have access to your data. We never associate your email address with your Account or installation, nor do we track any authorization tokens, Location IDs or Device IDs.

SmartTiles runs entirely as a native SmartThings SmartApp (smart, smart, smartā€¦). This means that only you (and SmartThingsā€¦) has access to your configuration data. This even makes diagnostics and debugging a challenge.

For Version 6, weā€™ve got ideas on how to securely store dashboard configuration information protected by a llogin password, and we hope will be better equipped to do or assist certain migrations when necessary. Migration from V5 to V6 ā€¦ by the end of the year :imp: Nooooo!ā€¦ just joking. Very very unlikely we can provide V5 to V6 migration. Just too complicated (frankly, more complicated than SmartThings Hub to Hub migration where all the data is in their cloud, fully, under their control).

1 Like

SmartTiles User Support Policy

SmartTiles is free software, even though not open source, and we appreciate cash donations as gratitude and encouragement. But thereā€™s only 2 people on this project and weā€™re not full time. We want to SmartTiles to succeed and grow. Weā€™re in super ā€œleanā€ mode for now (though, hmph, I havenā€™t been to the gym in a few days :runner:); we canā€™t hire, and we canā€™t quit our day jobs.

Soā€¦ user tech support and consideration of feature requests and even bug fixes are subject to our available time and priorities. I guess the term is ā€œbest efforts basisā€.

For best results please follow this formula:

1. :bug: Try to isolate your problem. If itā€™s due to a new device, video feed, etc., remove it and confirm. Try another browser. Test your video feed URL alone in itā€™s own browser window, etcā€¦ Note the version number and region code (US/UK) in the preferences / config of the SmartApp. Check out the Live Logging (US NA01, US NA02, or UK) output for clues and cut and paste to share. Log Level setting has been added under ā€œPreferencesā€ (defaults to ā€œErrorā€ onlyā€¦ the most detailed level is ā€œTraceā€ which is what you should use upon request, or just ā€œDebugā€ level perhaps for an intermittent error). If you know how to use Firebug or equivalent browser based debuggerā€¦ that can be worth a try.

2. :mag: Seek and ye shall find ā€¦ maybe. There are thousands of posts on SmartTiles here on the Forum in several Topics. This is our unofficial Knowledge Base, and weā€™re thankful to SmartThings and the Community for letting us squat here. http://SmartTiles.click has some FAQ though.

3. :family: The Community is your friend. Post your issue (and feature requests, etc.) here and it will get plenty of attention (including, yes, Alex and myself). The fans of SmartTiles here are helpful to each other, just as they are here each othersā€™ SmartThings and smart home questions. We are super grateful of SmartThings for cultivating this family.

4. :e-mail: Finally, please use our support contact email: Support@SmartTiles.click (whitelist us) ā€“ not ā€œPrivate Messagingā€. This forum softwareā€™s PM feature is really difficult to track. Thereā€™s no way to mark messages unread, file them, etc. Yuck :scream:! Our email box, on the other hand, is private, shared between us, and we can keep it organized with folders and all that stuff. If we someday go fancy and add a help desk, feature and bug tracking system like Zendesk, they work via email tracking. One exception: If we want to take a public question or discussion offside and out of the Topic thread, we have no way to reach out to you but a PM.

5. :bird: Twitter? Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, Youtube, Snapchat, Tinder, Grindr, ā€¦ OKā€¦ now weā€™ve gone too far. I definitely encourage you to follow our Twitter: @SmartTiles and other social media, but these are for networking, general news, sharing #SmartHome discoveries, clever quips, ā€œgrowth hackingā€ (i.e., marketing), etc. ā€“ not user support. And be sweet ā€“ always retweet!

Make sense? :sunglasses: Thanks!
Wishing you stable Dashboards and swift problem solving!
ā€¦Terry & Alex (@625alex).

4 Likes

I found this video stream URL from a doggy daycare :dog: :sunny:ā€¦ I have no idea where itā€™s from, but that keeps me from going to kidnap some puppiesā€¦

http://50.195.222.202:7182/video2.mjpg

This makes a great test feed for a Video Tile, perhaps!

More info on video camera issues in this Topic:

1 Like

Thereā€™s also a separate forum topic, very active, for discussion of SmartTiles theming and mounting possibilities.

If you are considering doing a wall mount (or even just putting it in an inexpensive magnet mount on the refrigerator) for the SmartTiles dashboard, definitely check out the topic. There a lot of great pictures and creative project ideas there. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Apologies for asking againā€¦
Alternatively is there a way to amend the Css that is being used and then copy it to custom Css?

1 Like

I feel like an idiot for asking this - but I canā€™t work it out. Once you create a dashboardā€¦ what is the URL?

I think thereā€™s a dedicated SmartTiles thread (as I found one yesterday which led me to make my first SmartTiles home), but essentially once youā€™ve got SmartTiles connected - go into Smart Apps on your ST phone app, see ā€œSmart Tiles (Connected)ā€ and tap that. The Smart Tiles config page loads, and towards the bottom of that thereā€™s an option to see and copy your URL.

Itā€™s a massive long address, so I just copied it and emailed it to myself so I could pick it up on the laptop and create a goo.gl short address.

Now I have to fix my old Nexus 7 and buy a dock for it so it can sit on the bookshelf and control the house :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s nice to have Smarttiles running on my 65 4k oled. The LG smart remote works perfectly with it. Thank you for the fix guys.

5 Likes

This Topic is now the "dedicated"SmartTiles thread :wink:
The Version 5.4.2 thread should fade away, but some of the special topics like Video Stream and Mounting Hardware should continue.

Welcome! And thanks for helping out @AdamV!

So I see from the title! I think my brain was having some sort of bootloop when I typed that. Iā€™m just glad I actually put some useful information in that postā€¦

1 Like

Oooooā€¦ :heart_eyes:!

Hmmmā€¦ I think something looks like itā€™s not quite working right though. Can I ask you for a huge favor and letā€™s take up a collection to buy a couple of these ā€œ64 4k oledā€ for SmartTiles to use as home theaters test platforms? : :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Ha ! 65 Inch 4 K TV running SmartTiles and still has the Video Tile size displayed as small and not Medium. Its not like there is not enough screen real estate to display the video feed as a larger tile. Heck if there was a setting for XXL it could still handle it just fine.

The setting is under Preferences > Video Tile Size

Great to get this working. It also solves an issue for me on how I can give my neighbour access to my property whilst I am away. My challenge was that if I left the presence sensor my alarm would never arm.

Have you considered adding on SHM? Or is there already a tile I can add with this on?

1 Like

Definitely under consideration, but we donā€™t have a published API from SmartThings to interface with SHM. Still researching thoughā€¦

1 Like

Is there a way to have a tile which runs just one routine? I have it showing all the routines, but I want one that just runs the ā€œIā€™m backā€ routine which would in effect disable the alarm and change to home.

1 Like

@gcoombs, canā€™t you just make a Virtual Switch and tie it to that Routine then have SmartTiles show that switch?

2 Likes