SmartTiles Dashboard 5.4.2 - July 13 (www.SmartTiles.click)

This is a functional area for which the interface may have to get fancy… Drilling through a tile into the ST App to set a dimmer is a pain, but perhaps if SmartTiles would expand upon double-tap (or?) so that more granular dim level and other typical drill-ins could be set, a balance of functionality vs. complexity could be achieved.

It’s worth taking time to sketch out several UI mockups and different ways before this rather major enhancement.

Some support from the SmartThings guys would be great, but they look very busy lately, :sunny:

3 Likes

+1 , but wrong thread lol ask in the SmartTiles customization thread

I understand that some bulbs/dimmers have issues at lower settings, but that shouldn’t mean that every dimmer needs to suffer because of this, the easy fix is for people to just not set the dimmer that low. Alternatively starting it at 5% might suffice.

I do agree that the slider can be tricky to get perfect, but with something like a dimmer (as opposed to a t-stat setting), it doesn’t need to be set exactly (if we are talking about adjusting in 1% increments). I don’t think setting the slider at 5% increments would be difficult to use.

@625alex I have some experience with UX/UI design, I’ll do some mockups to see how this can be improved even more :smiley: until now looks and works great, could you share your to-do list to see what to work with ?

2 Likes

[quote=“625alex, post:153, topic:12512”]
Jay, if you want to give it a stab, you can show the history within the same smart app, but in a different page. Then, you can add tiles/links to cross link the two pages of the same app. Look at link() method as an example.
[/quote]I like this idea a lot. In particular, the /list page has the styling I want to use as well. I’ll see how difficult it is to copy that page for device ‘history’ (seems pretty easy).

2 Likes

You can do accordion type of thing. Note that list page uses Jquery UI, not Jquirey Mobile.

Is there a way to have this run in a single tab in Chrome of Firefox? I’ve got this setup on my tablet via tasker and motion detector, but each time it runs, it opens a new tab.

Awesome dashboard though! Love it… can’t wait to get more things on it… and I think I need more tablets for the house!

Is your tablet rooted? If it is, then just use the motion detector to wake the screen instead of calling the URL.

I use motion detector with Tasker and Secure Settings app.

In the Chrome mobile app, hit the menu button and “Add to Desktop” (or whatever it’s called). It will add a shortcut to your desktop that opens the page in a special “single tab” mode of Chrome with no UI.

In fact, Chrome has made SmartTiles an excellent experience, because it behaves very much like a standalone app on my phone (rather than a link to a web page).

2 Likes

Thanks Jay and Rey!
See what happens when you over think! /slapsforehead

I bought 2 cheap digiland $50 tablets and do this very thing on it. I don’t have mine rooted and can use the motion detector app and the “single tab mode” and it works great.
Is there a different Motion Detector app for rooted devices?
Recently I turned off the motion detector because it turned on too much wearing out the battery…for me hitting the button is just as easy :smile:

This is also true for iOS. SmartTiles behaves as a native app when added to desktop of Android and iOS.
Did anyone try this Windows Mobile?

2 Likes

Doh…didn’t even think about doing this on my iPhone. It looks sweet!

I think my use of root was more for Tasker and Secure Settings than Motion Detector. Got a link to the tablets you use? I could use one more for the hallway.

1 Like

Geesh…I’m away for a day and 30+ messages appear in this thread. You guys are definitely chatty! (Of course, @625alex has something very awesome on his hands, so it is understandable!)

3 Likes

Yeah I am running tasker and secure settings too but if I’m correct, certain options inly work on rooted devices. Luckily I didn’t need any of them.
This is what I am using:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digiland-7-8gb-black/8610212.p?id=1219354106671

Works great for this purpose but I don’t know how much else they can handle. Screen is a little weird but still works great for this purpose.
If you look up a little bit, I have a video posted on what I did with SmartAlarm and it shows the tablet.

I have pinned the page to my start screen on my Windows Lumia 1020. Works just like any other convenient tile.
Too bad there isn’t more development support for Windows Phone. Would really be cool to see a live tile like many others on my phone. Or for a really killer feature, having a couple of status items showing on the Glance screen like I have weather doing now when phone is sleeping.
Oh well…

1 Like

if android and ios dont have any plataform specific stuff, i think windows phone is far away from having stuff like that lol we dont even have widgets on android(not that we need them)

I made good progress on making a “Historical Events” page within the same app. I basically created a sub-page that gathers all events, then applies them in the same style as the main app. I like this approach a lot better than my previous one, as it doesn’t affect the load time, since the data is only loaded when you try to access it.

TODO

1. Make an icon/tile on the main page that links to /history
  2. Make a preference to show/hide that tile
  3. Find a way to filter events. Temperature and Acceleration and Status events are REALLY spammy!
  4. Adjust icons so closed/open doors show the appropriate icon (same with locked/unlocked and present/not here)
  5. Disable draggable tiles (makes no sense in this context)
  6. Investigate using jquery mobile

7 Likes