SmartTiles Dashboard 5.4.2 - July 13 (www.SmartTiles.click)

Yeah, this dashboard accomplishes 90% of what i need the app for. And frankly, the experience is much better (it’s faster, doesn’t crash as much, and works on a PC).I’m definitely willing to contribute towards that last 10%!

I don’t know the API to work with SmartThings that well though. Is it even possible to collect historical data from the API, or do you need to log it somewhere as it comes in and then read from there?

1 Like

The API definitely has access to query the event data of a Thing, though darned if I know where that is currently documented…

Awesome job Alex.
Is there an easy way to display the SmartAlarm mode “Arm Away, Arm Stay, Disarm” etc on the ActiON Dashboard?
Thanks

Have a set of virtual switches with custom icon?

1 Like

Yes, I have thought of that and it’s doable.

Although I think it’s more fitting for a standalone app.

Anything is feasible… Everything is doable…

Web Dashboard, ActiON Dashboard, SmartTiles was a labor of love and I put a lot of heart into it. So far it’s been a fantastic experience! I’ve never done anything like that before.

The dashboard outgrew my personal needs a long time ago but I invested a ton more time. All contributions evaluate to about $.50 per hour while some contributions were surprisingly generous. Should I invest another 40-80 hours to build a store in order to be able to sell subscriptions for $5? How long will it take to recoup that investment and make it worth my while? Or should I invest 40-80 hours into the app itself? I don’t know…

I don’t want love to turn into chore.

I have other endeavors and productizable ideas I want to pursue. Some are SmartThings related, some are for other platforms that have actual app stores.

SmartTiles is providing a lot of features that ST Mobile app does not. I never really wanted to make a port of ST Mobile, this is not the goal.

ST themselves shouldn’t have relied as much on native apps in favor of web.

I don’t think it does anything. They will learn their lessons and move on.

1 Like

@jazzyjayx

The API documentation is getting there, @Jim is doing great!

1 Like

Could you share your to-do list related to SmartTiles? The project its awesome and I will donate more when I get my full-home automation system, right now I’m just testing, and this dashboard is THE ONE THING keeping me from going to other alternatives like vera or stapless

2 Likes

You can use the various events methods on the Device object (events(), eventsBetween(), and eventsSince(), found on the Device reference docs: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/doc/device

There’s some more discussion around this in our SmartApp guide, on the Devices page. Specifically, the Querying Event History section contains more information.

Of course, it’s possible that at this late hour I misunderstood your question, and perhaps they are not relevant to your question. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Alex, Thanks for the additions. Just a heads-up. The nest cooling setpoint still appears to be broken.

Is there any way to have the icon change immediately upon tapping? It appears to not change until it gets a status update from the device. It would be nice if the icon changed immediately, so I don’t think I accidentally missed the icon or that it didn’t work. Then it could subsequently update based on the status from the device. Thanks again

1 Like

It seemed to work like this in the 4x version

If you are using a Full Service installation, it hasn’t been updated yet. I will update it tomorrow morning. Full Service version will always be 3 days behind the Self Service stream in order to have a chance to catch new bugs.

Which icon didn’t change for you? Looks good to me using version 5.

I don’t think it needs to.

The way I see it, SmartTiles is my #1. This is the app I want to use on a daily basis. It’s quick and sexy and does what I need it to do.

I look at the SmartThings native UI as an administrative tool. This is where I set up apps and rules, etc. While the UI needs improvement, I don’t want to use it on a daily basis. I want to set up my system and forget about it. I shouldn’t be futzing with it.

8 Likes

Some of the heads of SmartThings should read that @ultrazero :smile: and “ehem” …give a good donation to alex, :wink:

4 Likes

Sorry, you’re right. I thought about that when I got up this morning. I checked the version and it’s still at 5.0. I’ll wait for 5.1 and test again. Trying to get off of the manual install version.

For the icons. I’m trying a different browser. will let you know.

How do i change the icons? i hace to do it in the css? someone could give an example? lol

while installing manually in ide, where does these 3 files go
freewall.js, script.js and style.css?

You don’t need to add those…just the one file :smile:

Not to push the love to chore aspect of SmartTiles but maybe one more thing for the Canadian todo list :smile:
Can the thermostat icon be set up for 1/2 degree increments when in Celsius since one C is almost 2 F?
I find myself going to the Honeywell to change temps a lot as it increments by .5.
Cheers and keep up the awesome work. I have donated once but I am feeling like another donation with all your recent effort.

1 Like