SmartTiles Dashboard 5.4.2 - July 13 (www.SmartTiles.click)

This going to be the boilerplate cut/paste response for all inquiries on timeline, for better or worse. Appreciate your support, interest and enthusiasm, but please don’t turn this into a thread like the “are we there yet, yet, yet, yet…” that existed for SmartThings Hub V2. By not announcing a date, it will be impossible for Version 6 to be “late”. Thanks!

(We’re keeping an eye open here for bugs and serious concerns, but… Shhhh… @625alex is working hard!)

2 Likes

@ Michael Stroh, What kind of sensor do you use on your garage door? I can’t seem to find one that works.

I have the Linear GD00Z-4 and it works fantastic.
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/GoControl-GD00Z-4-Z-Wave-Garage-Controller/dp/B00M75TEIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443122242&sr=8-1&keywords=gd00z-4

1 Like

Do you just need an open/close sensor??

I use Ecolink Tilt sensor (under $30, Amazon). Works perfectly.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for Verions 6. I donated. Love Smarttiles. Hope to get to test V6.

1 Like

Now that it seems like things have been fixed (i.e. this thread), I tried again and was able to uninstall the old ActiON, and then went and installed SmartTiles via the website.

one more noob question…
Now that I have made the switch, my old SmartApps ‘Dashboards’ that I made with ActiON are still working. Is that because they are completely independent once created, or are they now somehow automatically connected to SmartTiles which I just installed?

Then, recommendations on using dashboards made with the old ActiON after upgrading to SmartTiles?
Should I go recreate them all with SmartTiles, or just keep using the old ones?

The facilitated installed version of SmartTiles (from http://SmartTiles.click website), is not related to any copy(s) of ActiON dashboard that you may have made in your own SmartThings Account via the IDE.

These personal copies are not and cannot be automatically updated to the best of my knowledge.

The drawback to the facilitated install of SmartTiles Version 5.x, is that it only supports one Dashboard per SmartThings Account. If you need multiple dashboards, you can generate them from your personal copy of the old source code, if you are lucky enough to have a copy. :wink:

Official Multiple Dashboard support is the Number 1 “new” feature of Version 6. (No release date, please don’t ask; we’ll let you know only when it is ready.).

Sorry to have missed that point about SmartTiles.

So, is it possible to install it some other way and end up with the ability to make multiple dashboards now, or will that only be available in 6 altogether?

If not available in any way for now, am I still able to put the old ActiON back in so I can continue to use that functionality until 6 comes out? :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, there is no way offered / supported today.

While there are many, many technical / architecture improvements in the works for Version 6, multiple dashboard support is a “killer feature” that is the focus of the product launch and is likely the most visible improvement, even though the concept has been demonstrated with the use of manual installs of the previously shared open source code.

I apologize that there’s not an interim workaround. It will be up to the Community to decide if the wait was worthwhile once the new product and platform is released.

I’m sure the answer will be, ‘Yes’ (that it was worth the wait). :slight_smile:
Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

I believe I will try the Ecolink Tilt sensor. I am not wanting to control the door, I just need a reliable open/close sensor and the ST sensors do not work.
Thanks!!

I’ve had crap luck with the ecolink. When it works it works great but way too many false readings - it’ll report my door is open out of no where and sometimes it takes 15 minutes to register that the door closed. I have two of them and both are the same. I have not tried new batteries however but they have been acting like this for a long time, pretty much since installation.

That is how most of my ST sensors work. False readings. AND I can’t get the Smart Home Monitor to work at all. I have reported it here and direct to Support. No response.

Are you using the original ST Multi? It works great on my door.

I tried that one. I originally put it up with the magnet. Then I read the instruction and they said not to use the magnet even though it came with one. I took it off; I guess I should give it a try it again.

Don’t use the magnet.

Only use it as a g-force sensor.

do what? use it as a g-force sensor? what do you mean by that?

When the door vibrates(opening/closing) the sensor will indicate door action.

Oh, got it. I thought you meant to use the magnet as a g-force sensor. My bad. It is a Friday so my brain is fried by now!

The multisensor can be used in a number of ways.

With the magnet it can be used as a standard open/closed sensor (closed when close to the magnet, open when away from the magnet). This is commonly referred to as a reed switch or reed sensor.

Without the magnet it can be used as a tilt sensor - i.e. sense which way gravity is acting, thus which way is “down” and thus which way the sensor is tilted.

So, for a tilting garage door, for example, you wouldn’t normally use the magnet, you’d instead rely upon the 3-axis accelerometer to detect which way the multisensor is tilted to determine whether the door is opened or closed. This is what SmartThings is referring to when they talk about changing the multisensor to garage door mode.

For the front door of my apartment however (just a regular door), I use the magnet (attached to the door frame) and the multisensor (on the door itself). When the door opens, the multisensor is moved away from the magnet and voila - the door is sensed as open. This arrangement also takes advantage of the multisensor’s ability to detect vibrations (again, by using the 3-axis accelerometer) and informs me if somebody knocks on my door.

So, choose the way you use the multisensor based upon the nature of the door - most regular house doors (and drawers, etc.) are best served using the magnet, tilting garage doors (or cupboards with tilt up or tilt down doors) can use the “garage door” mode to detect whether they are horizontal or vertical and thus don’t need the magnet. A roll type garage door would probably require a setup using the magnet.

3 Likes