SmartTiles Dashboard 5.4.2 - July 13 (www.SmartTiles.click)

Thanks! That does allow me to scroll so only the webpage content is visible, but it still lets the screen move and reveal the tabs. I would like the browser to lock in full screen, no tabs or menu options visible. Thoughts?

Lots of third party apps offer special browsers which combine with guided access to create a kiosk mode without tabs or address bar. Some are as cheap as 99 cents, most are around $4.99.

Search the App Store for kiosk (looking for iPad apps) and you should find lots.

Also, the following company sells ipad wall mounts and table stands for stores and restaurants, and their site has a list of the more popular highly polished kiosk mode apps:

http://www.ipadenclosures.com/ipad_kiosk_apps/ipad_kiosk_apps

Perfect, I’m familiar with some non-standard browsers I’ve used in the past. The kiosk idea is very helpful. Thanks again!

Wow, first try “Mobile Kiosk” is excellent and free!

1 Like

I’m making progress with SmartTiles, but no matter what I try I cannot get my Dropcam video feed to display. I followed the directions exactly to get the URL for my public Dropcam feed, but the video tile on SmartTiles is blank. If I hit the Dropcam tile, it does a refresh, but the tile for the video stays blank.

This will go with the next patch.

I will implement this feature eventually.

I encourage everyone to go through this page. The same questions are asked over again:
http://www.smarttiles.click/info/#tips

I look at it for the same purpose.

Are you able to view the stream is you access that URL in a browser window of it’s own?

Check this thread if this issue is already addressed:

The URL works perfectly on several browsers, but still does nothing in SmartTiles. I read the thread you mentioned, but they are all trying to solve for cameras other than Dropcam. It’s been frustrating! I’m going to keep trying!

OK, it all makes sense now! Dropcam is not supported by SmartTiles on an iPad because Flash is required. I was trying the URL on my desktop browsers which worked, but not on my iPad browsers. This totally sucks!!

Ever hear of Photon? I never use flash but this IOS app allows you to play flash! Look into it and see if it’ll work for you.

I installed Puffin browser which supports Flash. The Dropcam video now appears, but it takes up about 50% of the tile. Better than nothing I guess. I’ll try Photon as well, thanks!

2 Likes

@625alex - Hi Alex, I’ve just started using SmartTiles - always wondered why ST didn’t have a full size iPad app. I realized today that Dropcam won’t work on an iPad because Flash isn’t supported. I read today that Adobe has stopped all mobile Flash support, so even Android devices will be impacted. I know some browsers will support Flash, but with it becoming extinct - will there be any other way to support Dropcam video in SmartTiles?

It looks like if I use blue iris to run my cameras and connect that to Smarttiles - it should be able to display my h.264 camera should it not?

Blue iris work fine as smart tiles. I’ve used them before.

1 Like

It is all about what Dropcam supports. Dropcams are awesome cameras but their integration with other systems is Not good. Flash is dead, if Dropcam outputs a JPEG or MJPEG that would be available. I have not had much luck with dropcams especially the idea of having to make camera public. It is not good.

I’m also hoping we can eventually get support for Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) as well – between RTSP and streaming MPEG, that would cover the vast majority of the IP cameras out there.

1 Like

I don’t know of anyway with HTML5 that supports rtsp without using flash, active x.

But I haven’t looked into it a ton.

It might be that part of the reason Dropcam won’t move beyond Flash is to keep it difficult for people to capture and save streams so that their subscription system can’t be bypassed.

2 Likes

are your blue iris cameras running h264? (rtsp)? and they works with smart tiles?

You are not going to be able to use rtsp on smart tiles, you setup different streams, but HTML 5 doesn’t support rtsp so you have to use jpeg or mjpegs.

I have been using BlueIris, but i’ve turned off my server and using direct to different Foscams so let me check my old settings and let you know what i have setup.

I do this with my dropcam to display an image, not video though, the image just updates as the dashboard refreshes. Also doesn’t require the camera to be public. Just requires you log into your dropcam account on the same browser. So on my android tablet, I open up chrome, login to dropcam account and then go back to my home screen and then I click on my SmartTiles link to go into fullscreen and I get an image of my DropCam.

3 Likes