SmartthingsV2 smart outlets US version on 220V

Continuing the discussion from FAQ: SmartThings international function:
Hi!
I have recently bought a STv2 kit on Amazon and am using it happily for almost one month on 220V.
I have been also using original 2 Samsung Smart-plugs (the same plugs included on current US STv2 Kit). One is linked to a 40w corridor table lamp which is triggered by battery powered Smartthings motion sensor. Other, as master to all my Media center stuff TV, STB, BLURAY etc to give me real time power consumption… a
No problems or overheating problems what so ever… working just great!
Is it possible that these new US Smartthings Smart Outlets are (as some Aeon devices) auto-switching 110-220v? Or Am I just being lucky and should unplug these 2 outlets immediately??

I don’t see anywhere in the Smartthings, Or Centralite’s (the manufacturer) Documentation that says 220v or autoswitching. I wouldn’t recommend leaving them in… At the Very least make sure all of your smoke alarms are working, just in case…

2 Likes

Yes… It is definitely “possible” they were built using the same underlying electronics, just a different plug shape, or perhaps the ZigBee/solid state parts are the same but not the relay.

If the solid state are not 220v compatible, I’d expect it to be fried / malfunction by now. The relay could be overheating and be a fire hazard, though this might also be evident in advance by seeing if it is warm to touch.

Either way, the unit’s life or yours may be at risk, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Hi Thanks for the feedback.
In the last few days I have been checking both plugs, with special attention to the one that has more load (around 220W) and let me tell you the following:
They are both at same temperature - cool as a breeze - even when I do not have the air con (I am in an equatorial latitude so temp are always around 28-30º).
To be on safe side, I just decided to remove the load from the plug which had ~220W on it (the second one is just a 40W lamp activated by a battery powered motion sensor).
Additionally I plan to buy inexpensive 50w 110 to 220v plug adaptors and use them as simple repeaters with close monitoring.
With luck someone more savy can confirm that Centralite has build these models with auto 110-220v and I can resume normal use. Just for the recor we are talking about Centralite model 4257050-RZHAC.

Thanks for feedback! definitely will give those smoke alarms a shot…

These units are not built by Aeon and have nothing in common with them other than that they both plug into the wall. They’re not even the same protocol since Aeon makes Z wave devices, not zigbee.

Contact support@smartthings.com and ask them, they should be able to find out.

Meanwhile, unplug them or use them with an appropriate voltage adapter. The case Not feeling hot is not enough to keep you safe.

Just as an example, it is entirely possible for a 110 V device to short out in a way that could be dangerous to a person but not trigger a GFCI cutoff on a 220V circuit.

1 Like

One possibility is to disassemble one to find the component parts. It is possible the voltage regulator is evident, but CentraLite doesn’t certify the particular model for both voltages.

1 Like

Just ask support to check. You can’t tell just from looking at the parts what it’s rated to support.

1 Like

I wasn’t clear on my speculation. I speculate it is possible the 110v and 220v CentraLite outlets share the same components.

#But…insert huge print disclaimer here that you can’t believe anything I say and I warrant nothing and take no liability and you risk injury or even death.

3 Likes

Sent email to Centralite and, the good news is that I got an answer in less than one hour from Thomas Sasser | Director of Technical Support…

The not so good news:

“The device you mentioned is rated for use in a 120V application and should only be used that way. It will function, albeit albeit with a much shorter lifespan and an increased chance in causing damage to the device, like it should. However, I must recommend that you remove the device from the current application as soon as you can.”

2 Likes

signed… Centralite lawyers.

2 Likes