SmartThings WiFi Plug not synching and not updating ( 7A-PL-W-A1) ( TEMPORARY SOLUTION FOUND!)

just a heads up guys. I got a call again from smartthings support to just let me know that my issue has been escalated to tier 3 support( not sure what that really means but ya)

1 Like

I received this response from support today:

Sep 18, 2020, 7:45 AM MST

Good afternoon,

Thank you for sending in your logs. I have heard form developers the issue your are experiencing is a known issue effecting multiple users. Our highest level of support are working to get this taking care of. I do apologize for the inconvenience this is causing.

Thanks for being the best part of Samsung!

George B
SmartThings Support

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem with firmware v923 and I’m going to go ahead and return them instead of waiting for support. Thank you for posting about your experience, I hope that support helps you out.

I just bought 5 plugs and they are all version 923, so none of them will update. 3 of them seem to work fine, but 2 of them report the wrong state, and won’t work with any other devices, a wall switch nor will they connect to my harmony remote. I submitted a ticket via e-mail yesterday.

This is super frustrating. I had previously bought tp-link kasa plugs, which wouldn’t connect to my harmony remote and now the samsung plugs won’t work.

I got a response from Samsung and it was saying that those plugs are online. I replied explaining that they are not offline, but their status indicator is incorrect. I can turn them on with the smartthings app, and there is power, but the status still shows off.

I also pointed them to this thread.

They told me to move plugs closer to wifi, move them to different outlets, restart the hub and re-install the app. They are within 2 feet of the hub, i tried different outlets and restarted the hub and re-installed the app, but nothing had any effect.

They are just giving you the run around. Its a known issue and until they decide to fix it from their end nothing will change. They told me to do the same things they told you until they figured out its a waist of time.
Due to the amount of time that has passed without any contact from Smartthings, I would highly suggest you return the plugs.
I waited to long and now my return window on amazon is closed so im stuck with 5 useless bricks.

The worst part is I literally just returned a bunch of TP-Link Kasa plugs because they wouldn’t work with my harmony remote. I figured since smartthings is samsung their plugs would be best, but obviously this was wrong. Are there any plugs that just work?

I got this from Samsung.

This is to inform you that the firmware update for the WiFi plugs is a known issue and our Engineers team is currently working on a fix. During this period, the outlets will not work as intended. This will be cleared in the coming App updates.

Apologies for the inconvenience. Your patience is highly appreciated while we continue working on this.

Please get back to us for any further assistance. We’ll investigate further.

Thanks!

1 Like

I was told by support that the hub has nothing to do with the plugs as they are wifi and connect directly to the cloud. The hub is used to connect zwave and zigbee devices like buttons and sensors.

That makes sense, and im guessing that is why support told Jonah that they will fix this issue with an App update. Its really disappointing that a big company like this would not do a simple test before selling or updating their app.

1 Like

I agree, and I also have a hard time seeing why it’s taking so long for their dev team to correct this issue. It almost has to be that they are not prioritizing this as a major issue.

1 Like

I found a temporary solution for android users. please read my 1st post, i put the instructions there.
I will update the main post if and when samsung actually fixes this in the correct way.

So I was able to confirm vick_sarkis instructions by side loading an older version of smartthings on a spare android phone and was able to upgrade my three wifi plugs to v1281 and now they report status and power metrics as they should. This makes sense because the last time I had bought these wifi plugs was way over 6 months ago and before they forced everyone to migrate to this new broken version of smartthings. I am amazed Samsung can’t figure this out. I will think twice about buying Samsung products after my encounter with there support.

Big thanks to @vick_sarkis

1 Like

I have the same issue and responses from support. Thanks for this topic and the idea of the app downgrade trick.

Thanks Vick, this did the trick for me.

Ur welcome, im glad it worked for you as well.
I do want to mention that I purchased a new plug a few days ago and it came with the new firmware installed. I dont know if smartthings will ever fix the old issue but it looks like they are shipping with new firmware now from amazon. here is a link to the one i bought

Any news about the WiFi Plug problem? (version 923)

Never heard back from Smartthings, I did buy 2 more plugs as i mentioned and both had the new version already. If u own older plugs that need to be updated i suggest you download the older version of the app , update the plugs and then go back to the current version of the app. I have the instructions on the main post on how to do that. cheers and good luck.

1 Like

I tried my old problematic wi-fi plug and it appears the problem has been fixed on Samsung’s end!

It’s not working for me, I’m still stuck on 923. I also tried the sideloading tip with v1.7.42-22. It sees the plug but there is no option to upgrade the firmware.