SmartThings - where color is forbidden

Sorry I had to make a comment on the new SmartThings logo and how the site seems to now be monochromatic. Not a big fan, but hey, fewer colors to print on those boxes. And don’t get me started on that font!

9 Likes

Oddly, the new colors are not part of the trademark.

The mark consists of the stylized wording “SmartThings” in turquoise, with a stylized circle to the left of the wording, with the outline of the circle fading from yellow to green to turquoise. The white in the mark is background only and is not claimed as a feature of the mark.

That’s a Nov 2016 filing… The whole SmartThings website just went through a color & style overhaul very recently… Perhaps it’s been hacked?

2016 is the original Samsung trademark filing. But the only new ones since then are the extend and the link and they’re just words, not a symbol. You can look them up in the official database.

https://www.uspto.gov/trademark

As far as the new design, staff members have talked about it, so I’m pretty sure it’s legit. But it’s not actually their trademark, which is a little weird.

Logos do change from time to time, but companies usually file an updated design mark for it.

1 Like

I’m just wondering if partners are going to be asked to update their assets… A website; easy… A million lightbulb boxes… Not so much.

I don’t like the new changes personally. Mainly for the community forum. All the words get smooshed to the left making it just anoying to read anything. Are you getting this as well by chance?

Bummer, I like the color gradient circle.

1 Like

Maybe they will discount the partner payments. One color printing labels to slap over boxes. Fun.

Not so easy since only the main site was updated. Go into support and everything is back to the usual.

Anyone else noticed that the community is no longer featured at the homepage? One more sign this is a dying part of the company?

There’s a link at the bottom of the home page under “Partners”

2 Likes

Your face in monochromatic…

4 Likes

Sure, why not? They can also drop a few letters. Just call it “Things”. It’s shorter and in line with Google’s “Home”. :grin:

2 Likes

Again, seriously… I don’t think they can put the ® on that logo, it’s not the design mark that they registered.

But maybe they have new applications in process.

edited to correct As @tgauchat points out below, the company had both a design mark for the multicolored logo and a word mark for “SmartThings.” So I was wrong, they can certainly use the ® since it applies to just the word.

1 Like

But the ⌐ (R) symbol is next to the text “SmartThings”, not next to the circle. Of course, I doubt they are being that careful… Yet it is true that the “SmartThings” name itself (wordmark) is still listed as a registered mark: Trademark Search

The link didn’t work for me, but yes, you’re right… If they have the trademark on just the words, then they can put the ® on the words. :sunglasses:

I’ve updated my post above.

1 Like

Hey … here’s a brand new (March 2017) Registration:

###“SMARTHINGS LINK

http://socialmedia.trademarkia.com/socialmedia/username-search.aspx?sw=smartthings%20link

Yep, as I mentioned above, “SmartThings Extend” and “SmartThings Link” are the two newest trademark registrations for the company. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Waste of resources, considering the things that really deserve attention. Change for change’s sake, common in Corporate America: distract the customer, so they won’t notice something else going on. Sound familiar???

I fought that move for over a year.

5 Likes

Unrelated to ST but Amazon changed their prime logo this weekend…

2 Likes