Smartthings Water Sensor > Echo Dot

I recently bought a Smartthings Water Sensor ( GP-U999SJVLCAA) and have connected it to my Smartthings Hub and Amazon Alexa. I have only managed to get it to send “Water” (leak) notifications to my phone. Is there any way to get an audible alert from the Echo Dot? I can’t find an option to do this in either the Smartthings app or the Alexa app.
If this isn’t possible with the Smartthings Water Sensor, is there another sensor that will connect to Smartthings but also provide an audible alert (either natively or by via the Echo Dot)?

You can do it by creating a virtual door sensor, having the water sensor alert trigger the virtual door sensor, and having echo react to the virtual door sensor. It’s sort of a long way around to get there, and it does get glitchy sometimes where it doesn’t work for a few days, which isn’t great for a security feature, but it’s something you could try. This will work with any sensor which can be used as a trigger by smartthings.

Here’s the community FAQ for that:

FAQ: Can I trigger an Echo Action without Speaking to It?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It took me a few tries, but I got it to work. I couldn’t find any kind of constant alarm noise in the Alexa routine options, so I set it to ring a bell, say “There’s a water leak” and then start playing “Here comes the rain again.” :grinning:

2 Likes