SmartThings starting to feel like Homeseer?

OK I figured out part of the confusion for people who are brand-new to SmartThings.

There are three different ways to access the new lighting wizard, and you get three different screen views and three different results. But I don’t see anywhere that explains these differences and if you didn’t already know how smartthings works, that could get pretty confusing.

Initial set up through the Marketplace

First, at some point during the initial set up of your device let’s say you discover the smart lights solution app. It might be in the marketplace under “SmartThings recommends” or it might be as part of A device setup. In any case, you find it, you set up your first automation and save it under a custom name, and you’re done.

You are not given an option to create a second automation at that time.

from the list of smart apps in rooms view

Second, if you’re in rooms view, you can choose the smartapps tab and you will see something which has a different name then the app that you used in the marketplace but it is not the custom name that you used for your first automation. This is called “smart lighting” it appears to be the same thing as the “smart lights” solution app from the marketplace. You will get one instance for every instance you installed in the marketplace.

When you select one of these, you do get a screen showing the automation you have previously set up using this particular instance, and the option to add a new one.

Of course if you happen to have installed multiple instances of the wizard, and you happen to have picked the wrong one, you won’t see all the automations you previously created.

And, as Mike mentioned, the “add new automation” is it the end of the list of any automations you’ve already done, so you have to know enough to scroll down to find that.

from the device detail screen

If on the other hand, you went into rooms view, selected a particular room, and then selected a particular device, you will see the name of the automations that you have created for that device. So not “smart lights” and not “smart lighting” but the custom name that you saved the automation under, in this case “Guestroom lights”

If you select this automation, there is no option to add any additional automations. Nor is there a way to do it on the device detail screen prior to selecting this automation.

So first time users are understandably confused

This appears to be what was confusing at least some of my friends. They would set up the first rule. Then go to the device, see the first automation, but from their point of view not be able to set up another rule.

They didn’t know they were supposed to go to the smartapps choice under the rooms view. And neither did I!

They looked for a way to set up a second rule either under the place where they set it up the first time (marketplace) or attached to the device that they included the first time (rooms view, device details)

However, apparently the UI wants them to set it up under marketplace, view it under device details, but add a second rule for the same device under the smartapps tab of the rooms view.

I think those of us already familiar with how smartthings works can sort of follow that, and some of the pretzel logic behind it, and if not be able to remember all the details the next time, at least find it again.

But I would argue that someone brand-new to the system has no way of knowing that an “automation” is different from a “smartapp,” or that you’re going to see them in different places.

3 Likes