SmartThings smart plugs - suddenly cloud connected?

Samsung GP-WOU019BBDWG SmartThings Smart Plug 2019, Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home, White. I kind of said in the title but not all the details. Uh sorry about the font!! wtf

1 Like

Well that’s what I get for looking at posts before my morning coffee, sorry about that!

Try changing the DTH to SmartPower Outlet. I’m looking through the list now to see which one specifically. Who knows why it defaulted to the one you’re using.

Be right back!

I changed it to the one you suggested and it now says Local. I’ll take the modem offline again and experiment

Also make sure it works correctly, especially power reporting values.

Still not working offline. For a test I tried a basic automation to turn it on when I press my Smartthings button. The Hue lights (via the Hue Bridge) that are also automated to come on with the button worked but the outlet did not). I can’t test power reporting when offline of course as the app won’t work without internet

Not sure what to tell you at this point to try, other than make sure power reporting still works when your Internet is up, just to make sure that’s the right DTH.

It’s odd that your Hue’s are working because I didn’t think anything associated with Hue would be local to the hub, especially through the bridge. I don’t have Hue, so I can’t speak with certainty about Hue/ST integration. Someone with Hue will have to chime in, maybe @Automated_House?

What I would do as a good local test would be to create a SmartLighting rule that just turns on or off the outlet either through motion detection (the motion sensor must be local too), or time based (preferred). This test ensures the SL rule is local, as well as all devices, like these:

Hue is local

2 Likes

Hue devices through the bridge do remain local, so that’s operating correctly.

@jkp beat me to it. And man, that picture cracks me up!

1 Like

Thanks guys. Never really got into anything with Hue and just didn’t know.

2 Likes

Well the button should have been a good test. I know that operates automations with the modem offline. Just not ones that affect the smartplugs. I guess I had this coming really, as I was fully aware that ST is fairly cloud-dependent. Just that I thought I had the workaround (my end goal was to have a hue sensor turn on a hue light, then as hue lights (unlike their sensors) can act as a trigger to a ST automation the eventual outcome was that a hue sensor could get a message to my ST system. But it was going to be a long shot all along :slight_smile:

I think my main theme in this thread is to ask I am sure my plugs were working locally and offline with the automations until recently!!! Can anyone confirm/deny?

Yeah, sorry I couldn’t help. The handler you’re using has been out for a while, and looking through Github’s change log for the DTH, it still didn’t have it local as far back as in May based upon what Github says, but that may not reflect all the changes ST makes. :slight_smile:

Well this is odd… it’s working now. I think it must have taken quite a while for the hub to update itself with the info about the new plug handler so for a while it thought it was still cloud-based.

2 Likes

Cool, glad you kept trying and it’s now working!

1 Like

Yes and thank you for pointing me to a better DTH

1 Like

Sometimes when you change from cloud to local dth, the smart lighting app for your automation will remain running in cloud. Usually you just need to go into the rule and save it to get it switched.

1 Like

SmartPower Outlet seems to not report ‘kw power used’ and also reports current wattage at 10% of the expected value. Ok for me as I process the value with Home Assistant and I just multiply the value by 10. Anyone have any workarounds?

Yes! This is exactly the same problem I’m having. I had to change my device handler back to the original Zigbee Metering Plug as I need correct wattage values for my automations in ST. It doesn’t matter so much about the power used figure as I calculate that with grafana anyway. It’s just that this device handler is cloud executed.

As @Inge_Jones said, i’m also 99% sure that the Zigbee metering plug was locally executed. It lead me to purchase more of them after only buying one to see how it functioned.

2 Likes

Just for the record, I also tried the ‘Zigbee Switch Power’ and that works locally but has the same problem as the SmartPower Outlet and reports 10% of the value. I’m no programmer but it looks like the decimal point is in the wrong place.

This reminds me of the problem I had with the Salus SP600 and Hive Active Plug (both made by Computime) some time back. I gatecrashed a discussion on GitHub about a commit to fix the issue and, as the discussion involved @tpmanley and Steven Green, it meant it involved people who knew what they were talking about. To cut a long story short, although the device handler was making assumptions about the value of the divisor, it was actually the devices returning values that were ten times too low according to Zigbee specifications.

1 Like