SmartThings (Samsung Connect) UI Update - Android 1.7.27-25, iOS 1.6.27

Welcome to my world! :wink:

But, seriously, thatā€™s what the wiki is forā€¦

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ThingsThatAreSmart_Wiki

At least that way as a content contributor you can try to keep up with the changes.

4 Likes

I made a video walking through the changes

TL;DW:

1. devices tiles load a lot faster
  2. can finally reorder rooms
  3. can finally sort device list when creating scenes and custom automations
  4. can change mode via scenes
  5. add device flow is totally different. Sorted by brand and then have to pick a hub and room before pairing
  6. can search for a device
  7. device tiles no longer have a toggle. Tapping the tile toggles the device.
  8. can pick multiple modes as a condition for custom automations
  9. can edit mode names
  10. can choose all option for OTA updates instead of on/off
7 Likes

I agree with @JDRoberts. Apple Home is fast, easy to use and just works

1 Like

I dont use Apple but damn they are exactly sameā€¦ still crap though

There is some similarity in look, but the functionality of the UI is quite different.

For example, note that the top screen in the Apple home app is only your favorites. So you can have a lot or a little however you like. You can also rearrange the tiles however you want. So things show up where you want to. And, unlike smartthings, there is no space devoted to features which are not activated, like SHM.

And a very big difference: there is a bottom icon bar on the Apple app which lets you jump directly to either automations or rooms view. :sunglasses:

There are a number of functionality differences. But stylistically, tiles scrolling over the top of a ā€œhouse beautifulā€œ screenshot, rounded corners, and the way the status is presented on the tile does certainly seem to have been heavily influenced by the Apple app. :wink:

1 Like

JD thats more than similarityā€¦ thats fragrant plagiarismā€¦ oh yeah Apples motoā€¦ meh what goes aroundā€¦

A) Have they fixed the functionality where if you had something on the ā€œifā€ side of an automation it couldnā€™t also be on the ā€œthatā€ side?

Two common examples from the forums:

1. If mode is away and the door unlocks, change mode to home

2. If switch A is on and the mode is Home, turn the living room lights on and turn switch A off.

Previously, neither of those were possible.

B) Also, can you use Geopresence to unlock the door or disarm SHM?

C) Have they restored the ability to use the new smartthings button to disarm SHM?

D) I have to wait until tomorrow to test and see if it works any better with voiceover.

I love this phrase! :heart_eyes: iā€™m going to start using it right away.

4 Likes

Nope, the mode as a condition and list sorting was the only change I noticed with custom automation creator.

1 Like

Thanks for the videoā€¦very well done!!!

1 Like

Is there a way to setup SHM so that it shows Arm/Disarm in the dashboard of both the classic and new apps?

No, SHM in the Classic and STSC apps are two completely separate smartapps and do not share their status with the other.

2 Likes

I know this has been mentioned a few times. I am not seeing this. It may be the tiles load slightly faster but grabbing status of each device is still very slow. Also, response to taps on just about anything (including menus) is very very slow. This is iOS on an iPhone X and iPad Pro.

However, it does not stick for the next time you load the app.

1 Like

Seems to be OS/device/user specific. Mine has retained changes I made and is quite responsive.

1 Like

Force quit the app and see what happens. While the devices stay, the rooms sort changes

ran the update on iOS
rearranged the rooms (20 is a bad limit, need moreā€¦) only to find out the app never saved the rearrangement, to go back and do it all over again and hope it sticks this time

My biggest issue is that the app shows some of my devices offline (both zigbee and zwave), but iā€™m able to control and get updates on them in the Classic app ??? Not sure how to fix that issue

Yep. This is happening to me as wellā€¦ While I like the direction the new app is taking, Iā€™m sticking with classic for now.

You guys jinxed it. Force quit a couple times last night and everything stuck. Tried again just now and theyā€™re back shuffled. :-1:t2:

2 Likes

Glad to be of some help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have more than 20 rooms in Classic but they did NOT all port over to the latest app. I only see 20 rooms in the latest revision and therefore a few of my rooms present in Classic are missing. I also cannot create any new rooms.