SmartThings/Samsung Account Migration Beta

Yup SmartThings (Samsung Connect) UI Update - Android 1.7.27-25, iOS 1.6.27

Account migration still does not work 2 years later.
Attempting to do this on my Android device results in an error message about the browser being incompatible.
F’ing pathetic.

1 Like

So here we are, summer of 2020 and the status of “The Great Switchover” or whatshamacallit, is still very much up in the air.

I’ve been reading up on this and recently had a couple of very candid, friendly and frank conversation with some of Samsung support engineers. It appears that there is still no final cut-over in sight and the migrations which are currently happening are those with simple deployments.

However, one takeaway from these conversations has me concerned, if not downright spooked. It would appear that the Samsung Connect app will eliminate the ability to have custom smartapps and DTH’s. As I rely heavily on the latter and @ady624’s WebCore, Alex’s ActionTiles, and the virtual device creator smartapp as well as a few others., This is an unsettling outlook, as it would essentially pull the rug out under everything I’ve built over the last 18 months.

I just need a straight answer; is this true? I think the entire ST community is entitled to an answer if our setups are living on borrowed time or what? I am not looking forward to drawing up contingency plans for moving to Hass.io as I enjoy the simplicity of WebCore and Actiontiles, where I can just get things done, yet not bound by the vendors view on how I should be able to automate which devices.

Dunno about you guys, yet I’ve been too many years in the industry not to see the writing on the wall: Some product-marketing-bigwig jobs-wannabe comes along and wants to turn SmartThings into a closed, walled-off Apple’ish garden: Yeah; let’s dumb down the product so we can sell basic vanilla automation to the masses instead of it being a flexible solution with strong community support, which caters to everyone’s need and can talk with almost anything.

I’d be surprised to get any official word from Samsung as exactly what’s going to happen. Many vendors just clam up and hope the concerned people asking uncomfortable questions simply just go away on their own. However, since none of us are paying any subscription fees to SamSung it would serve everyone’s needs if they just come clean with what they’re planning, allowing us a runway to part ways, if necessary.

@Samsung - c’mon, let’s have the straight dope.
/Max

1 Like

You may want to post in the following thread :slight_smile:

Get ready to make the switch!

It would appear that the Samsung Connect app will eliminate the ability to have custom smartapps and DTH’s . … I just need a straight answer; is this true ?

Broadly, no, that’s not true. You can still have custom smartapps and DTHs.

As with almost everything though, it’s a bit more nuanced than that. Devices in the new app look different. Some abilities will transfer without issue, but some won’t.

1 Like