Smartthings Running on Wink Relay

@ranga - Please allow me to use/test your SmartApp. I’ve got everything setup within the Wink Dev Portal.

Thanks!

Good afternoon,

I’d like to test as well if you’re still accepting testers.

Thank you in advance.

Seems the Wink Relay is not on wink.com anymore. Maybe discontinued?

Highly likely.

You don’t dump stock at 85% off if you intend to keep selling something.

My Wink Relay keeps wiping my Google accounts that I have added. Does the modified projectone apk still work? Or is there more then said here that needs to be disabled?

Hi Folks -

TL;DR: PLEASE DO NOT USE THE MOD - ITS OUTDATED. I MIGHT PUBLISH A NEW MOD AROUND THE HOLIDAYS.

I’m still here: just swamped by work. As the holidays roll in, I hope to have time to update the mod, as well as publish instructions on how to create the mod if anyone is interested. However, that is a lot of work - before I start: anyone interested in learning how to mod?

3 Likes

Is this the mod (saving third party passwords)?
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Wink_Relay

I would like to see if i can get it to do the following
-Run completely on android, no wink software in the background
-Send temp/humidity to my ecobee4
-Be able to control the 2 switches remotely
-Run as an alexa assistant or google assistant
-Control some of my other smart devices

I don’t have a wink hub, i have a smarthings hub so I don’t know if the wink relay will work with my setup.

I dont have a wink hub either. I use Stringify to link the Wink Relay to the Smartthings hub.

There is a lot of proprietary code (i.e. closed source code) in the wink software. While you could reverse engineer the code, there might be easier ways to get things done using the smartthings hub:

• It runs on Android, but needs wink services to work.
  • You can send temp/humidity using Stringify to Smartthings (and from there to Ecobee - if you really want to. However, the temp / humidity sensor on the relay is not v accurate at least for me)
  • Control switches remotely: I do that through smartthings/echo - you can either hook the switches up directly to echo using a wink skill, or through stringify to Smartthings and then to echo.
  • Alexa: use the wink skill, or a stringify skill, or a smartthings skill
  • Control other smart devices: use the smartthings app on the wink

(Of course these are just my opinions. If you want to hack the Wink and write an app from scratch - I am sure this community would gain a lot just from the experience. Just wanted to give you a heads up that it will be a lot of reverese engineering, and there are easier ways to do the things you want done :slight_smile: )

Thanks for laying all that out, I wasn’t sure what was available/hacked.

I really want to get it setup like this with Google launcher and I had it working but it was really slow. I couldn’t even launch Pandora. So I reverted back to an old launcher, rooted it, and tried to get google now (voice activated) to work but it won’t go.

And I’m lucky these guides were there since I can’t even write a macro lol.

Hi @acerbix, is your Stringify integration between Wink Relay and SmartThings working fine? Mine started acting weird for the past few months, if I turn off of the the switches it will turn it back on and off multiple times

Actually, I use Alexa to voice-control the switches through Smartthings and
that works. I just tested the switches on the android ST app and that
worked as well…

Have you updated your wink firmware or are you running an older version? My
wink firmware is updated to the latest version.

I see, but now that you mention it I don’t think I’m on the latest version, I will double check that tonight…
If you don’t mind can you please share an example of your Stringify Flow between the Wink Relay and ST?

And does your flows only go one way? Meaning from ST to Wink Relay, or both ways from ST to Wink and Wink to ST?

Thanks @acerbix, I’m definitely looking for a working solution. After following your steps, everything works just fine, but I continue to get logged out of the Smartthings app on the Wink Relay after a few hours. Very frustrating. I’ve wiped it multiple times and tried it again, but I get the same result.

I’ve seen video of ActionTiles working successfully, which seems to be an idea option, no? … there must be a browser… or install Fully Kiosk (APK available on its developer’s website).

As long as there’s not some fundamental OS weirdness going on that is wiping the cache and cookies, then ActionTiles will stay logged in … until you logout or change password.

I can confirm ActionTiles works just fine on the Wink Relay with no logout issues. I’m using chrome as browser but I’m sure Fully will work too

1 Like

Can anyone confirm that we are OK to update to the latest firmware? I did the non-root hack (downloaded browser (unfortunately one that doesn’t allow downloads…), downloaded startup manager, and assistive app)

I’m just using my SmartTiles and all is working well, but would like to keep it up to date as much as possible since I don’t know when the firmware was last updated.

I’d like to not get bricked - thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve got a couple of these running (non-root); the oldest at firmware 1.0.202 and the most recent I set up a couple of months ago wound up at 1.0.602 after the initial Wink login/update to allow the proximity sensor to work. No issues running ActionTiles with either. I’m not sure if 1.0.602 is the latest (I suspect not).

1 Like

Just a sneak peak of something I’ve been working on…

I was surprised in the lack of response to @Mark_Wilson’s post indicating that he had put together some code for interfacing with the Wink Relay as it looks like he has done for Vera what a lot of people are interested in for SmartThings. I reached out to him and was inspired to put together a custom application to interface the Wink Relay with SmartThings.

I have the basic components of the application working with the ability to manually read sensor values, the ability to respond to the buttons being pressed, and the ability to control the light loads.

The next step is to clean up the code and make it interface with SmartThings which should be the easy part. Like others, I’ve found the Temperature and Humidity sensors to be fairly inaccurate and I’ve also found the Proximity sensor to be quite inaccurate. At the very least, I look forward to being able control the light loads directly from SmartThings and see the status of the lights in SmartThings.

6 Likes

That sounds promising. If you can directly interface w ST, we will no
longer need stringify. Are you willing to put your code up on github so we
can play around w/ it?

Once I get it all linked up, I’ll publish the working code. I’m looking at changing the approach as I currently have to poll the sensor values periodically (eg. every X seconds). This works fine for temperature/humidity, but wouldn’t work well for the motion/proximity sensor.

The buttons are currently implemented based on interrupts, so there’s a bit of C code behind the scenes which opens the GPIO pin and when the interrupt is triggered, it triggers the Java callback immediately.

If the motion/proximity sensor is important as a trigger, then I’ll need to look at an alternative method for polling the presence sensor and doing a calculation to determine the delta between the previous to value to determine if motion is detected.

The motion/proximity sensor actually responds with 4 values as you can see from the picture above… I haven’t quite figured out what unit of measure these are supposed to be. The first and third value tend to jump up close to 50-60k when I place my hand near the motion/proximity sensor above the screen. The second value seems to stay around 250-300 and the last value stays zero.

I have a second unit that I need to get setup to check if it’s returning similar values. It’s possible my motion/proximity sensor isn’t working well as it never worked well when the motion/proximity option was turned on in the Wink software. When I’m standing in front of the screen, the first value only goes up to around 8000 (eg. a relatively small delta when compared to the 50-60k when something is right by the sensor), so it seems more like a proximity sensor on a phone that expects to be sensitive really near your face but otherwise not sensitive at long distances.

4 Likes