SmartThings Outage - Jan 27 2018

I created a new thread for the hubitat discussion :slight_smile:
https://community.smartthings.com/t/hubitat-home-automation-that-is-local/117107

LOL my spell checker keeps changing hubitat to habitat. 5 edits later to get the name correct.

2 Likes

^^^^^
This nails it right here.

Local execution likely will not ever align with Samsungā€™s unstated business and financial model, which I can only presume is either to sell more things (TVā€™s, Phones, etcā€¦), and/or to monetize the data captured/ingested from our things. The SmartThings privacy policy does not go into a ton of detail on what theyā€™re doing, how long they retain data, etcā€¦ which again, Iā€™m sure is ā€œby designā€ to support whatever unstated direction they take this, assuming they havenā€™t already.

As such, local execution, by name (i.e. LOCAL) likely does not support the grander data monetization vision if present , so local support is likely not a strategic priority. Decisions like this usually are not due to those working hard in the trenches, but rather the non-technical folks pulling in 7 figures a year in the upper ranks.

So, looking at Hubitat, there seems to be promise, but many unanswered questions. Might jump on it too if migration and code compatibility is there or even if some of the annual fee questions and what is included long term. I know, wishful thinking. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the really disappointing thing about local execution not aligning with their current business objectives/drivers: Once they lose me as a customer, I will go out of my way to never return. This is not because I donā€™t like ST. It is because they had the opportunity to lock us in as lifetime customers and didnā€™t by choosing to not give us something (robust rules engine and local processing) that was requested for years.

2 Likes

The theory is that Samsung SmartThingsā€™s market size is in the ā€œhundreds of millionsā€ of households globally.

Though thereā€™s no public exact number, the current customer base is likely still under 1 million. The number that participate in the forum and power-use WebCoRE and other Community SmartApps is about 20,000. Miniscule.

Based on the magnitude of difference, anything that happens now is completely irrelevant for the future of Samsungā€™s smart home visions and potential for success. We are just a long term Beta-test group,

SmartThings (especially with the resources of Samsung at disposal) has the ability to do anything it wants to do; including replicating WebCoRE: Or making a full natural-language rule writer / interpreter. Or whatever miraculous smart home feature you can think of.

Itā€™s just that Samsung is in no rush to do this - who knows why not?

2 Likes

In part, because SmartThings is such a small part of the overall business that it is not a high priority.

1 Like

But isnā€™t isnā€™t this exactly the same situation at Amazon, Google, and Apple?

Iā€™m not sure there is a direct comparison between these cases. At Amazon, the Echo line of products has become huge (probably even surprising Amazon). And, you can order from Amazon with Echo devices.

Google is rolling Nest into the Google brand. I donā€™t have a Nest thermostat; but I do have several Nest Protects and this move makes me little concerned over continued support.

As for Apple, I did a lot of consulting in Silicon Valley a few years ago (not for Apple). I do not own any Apple products and will not be buying any Apple products in the future. More than enough said.

1 Like

Indeedā€¦ it kinda proves that the DIY smart home industry is still very, very young!

Try to name a bigger player than SmartThings in DIY smart home? I donā€™t think there is anyone.

• Wink, Vera, Homeseer, Iris, ā€¦ are all overshadowed now.
  • Newcomers like Oomi Home, Hubitat, Athom, etc., etc., ā€¦ are just that: infant startups - some of whom may suddenly get prominent - especially if acquired.
  • Mono-product lines that are expanding: Nest, Ring, Amazon Alexa, ā€¦
  • Subscription services: Alarm.com, Xfinity, AT&T, ADT Pulse, ā€¦
  • Non-DIY: Control4, Crestron, Savant, ā€¦

No matter how you slice it, I sincerely think that itā€™s very difficult to argue that SmartThings is #1 and outstanding in this very large niche.

1 Like

For the DIY niche, Appleā€™s HomeKit and Alexa both crush SmartThings in installed users right now. (I know Alexa isnā€™t a hub, but the standard echo plus some Wi-Fi pocket sockets and the hue bridge has to be several times larger an installed base than SmartThings.)

For CES, how many devices were publicized as ā€œworks with SmartThings?ā€ compared to ā€œworks with HomeKitā€ or ā€œworks with Alexaā€? How many journalists were writing about SmartThings in their CES articles?

I would accept an argument that SmartThings is number one in the complexity of rules that it allows in the consumer-ready market segment at the under $1500 price point. But Iā€™m quite sure itā€™s not leading in the number of installations.

1. I donā€™t watch television so perhaps Iā€™m missing a ton of advertising, but I have no sense that Apple comes to the mind of consumers ā€œsmarteningā€ their homes. But Iā€™m probably just naive or ignorant. Stillā€¦ It seems that limiting to iOS for control has really got to be holding them backā€¦ No???

2. Using Alexa to control various simple smart lights / outlets is fine, but leaves out the entire ā€œsensorā€ part of the platform, which is essential to automation, safety (leaks, smoke, child access to cabinetsā€¦) and security monitoring.

SmartThings isnā€™t a ā€œhousehold wordā€ (unlike the other mega brands in the general space). But why not? Samsung quite unwilling to run a Super Bowl ad - unlike Amazon for Alexa?

Samsung is just not in a hurry at all. This is a long term play.

1 Like

Theyā€™re different different market segments.
Alexa is home control with a voice interface, Home Kit is the same with a dumber AI but pretty UI and a few basic rules you can create. And Iā€™m a huge Apple fan, but Homekit is a flop, Siri is a failure. Neither offers any significant overlap in functionality as real home automation products Wink, Vera, Iris, Hubitat and others.

2 Likes

Definitely not a flop, again look at the number of manufacturers advertising HomeKit compatibility or upcoming HomeKit compatibility.

And so far, HomeKit is the main platform that new homebuilders have been adding as standard to their ā€œsmart homesā€ for 2017 and 2018.

It works just fine for the most simple use cases: turn on the lights when I get home, turn on the lights when someone walks into a room, turn on the lights at sunset. Plus a smart lock and maybe a garage door controller.

Remember that smartthings staff themselves have said that the majority of their customers have 15 devices or fewer and use no custom code. The people in this forum are a very different group. :sunglasses:

Fibaro just this last year added a whole new line of sensors specifically for HomeKit. Leviton added a HomeKit model of their SmartSwitch. The manufacturers do that because the market demands it.

Apple doesnā€™t have to advertise HomeKit because it comes built-in to every iOS device. They donā€™t advertise email or even iCloud, either. Itā€™s a feature of the devices that they do advertise.

Iā€™m not saying it would meet the needs of most people in this forum, it wouldnā€™t. But the installed base is large and getting bigger.

Appleā€™s advertising campaigns always seem to focus on a particular feature and they cycle through them.

Thereā€™s a campaign that features professional photography. Number of Apps. Video editing. Apple Musicā€¦

And a big campaign right now for Home Pod.

When Apple wants to use HomeKit as a way to increase sales or loyalty, I presume it will be heavily marketed.

Meanwhile, SmartThingsā€™s lack of exposure in the home builder and professional installer / reseller market is confoundingā€¦ Or simply intentional once again.

I guess my ongoing point here is that I am convinced SmartThings will be a steadily growing name even if seems to be a more of a tortoise in this race than a hare.

I previously speculated that if ST wasnā€™t at well over 2 million hubs sold by now that they would be out of business. I was wrong about that!

1 Like

HomePod is a device, not a feature. :sunglasses:

Apple has Home promos. Itā€™s not one of the top promoted features, but it is promoted.

If you walk into an Apple store or read any of the blogs/magazines aimed at Apple device users, youā€™ll see something about HomeKit.

The rest of the advertising is left up to the smart home device manufacturers.

I would hardly call that an indicator of success. Many companies partner with Apple due to their size, reputation, and marketshare. Itā€™s hardly an indicator of the success, in terms of adoption of that particular platform. Apple has a penchant for twisting, distorting, or otherwise selectively sampling customer metrics to over-emphasize the success of their products. Iā€™m a huge Apple fan but I take any metrics they publish with extreme skepticism.

2 Likes

More marketing campaigns with Alana Greszata. :grin:

1 Like

This looks VERY PROMISING, especially since I have mostly IRIS products and OSRAM lightsā€¦ ST just got a 6 month window to get this ISH together :muscle:t4: