SmartThings Open Cloud & the ARTIK Chip

I guess a motion sensor needs to talk to some hub, ST in our case, then ST relays the data to SAMI and then whatever is hooked up to SAMI is receiving the data.

@jody.albritton, I too feel that SAMI might be just a messaging service optimized for IoT.

How much are you paying for Firebase?

I am on the candle plan, 49 bucks a month.

1 Like

If ARTIK doesnā€™t support Z-wave then using it in ST Hub would anger a lot of Z-wave owners.

ARTIK doesnā€™t have Z-Wave natively (would be difficult due to Z-Wave license restrictions) but can easily do so via add-on chips / antennae. The ARTIK 10 Alpha Dev Kit, for example, includes SigFox connectivity.

Certainly you can have a plastic box with multiple antennas inside, thatā€™s what the V1 hub is (zigbee and zwave). :blush:

2 Likes

@keithcroshaw noted in another topic that a SAMI (marked alpha) smartapp has just been added under the MORE section of Smart Setup in the mobile app, with some SAMI device handlers for specific devices also added to the IDE. Looks like theyā€™re getting ready for ST calls to SAMI.

2 Likes

There is a number of new device handlers listed in the IDE, including SAMI Nestā€¦

2 Likes

Canā€™t guarantee these all work, or exactly how these work, but as of June 21, 2015, these are known device types to SmartThings:

Are any of these dev boards out in the wild yet?

Yes. Many have been distributed at various Samsung events. One guy I networked with at the IoT Event got oneā€¦ I should check up with him and see what heā€™s done with it.

And I think @Ben and/or @mager got oneā€¦

I saw the board when I went to the Palo Alto offices at the beginning of the month. I took a picture of it
with the ST Community team.

1 Like

I am still trying to figure this out. I have signed up for a SAMI developer account and itā€™s very sparsely documented. Does the developer have to create all of the interface to Spotify or is this something that is already created. I know SmartThings has a SAMI connector, but I canā€™t really figure out what to do with it. Is there a Samsung Galaxy S6 connector or would I have to create my own?

1 Like

So I connected my account to SAMI. Went to the developer portal and saw that there was a connection to SmartThings, but nothing apparent about what it did or why. Browsed the docs. If it is in there, I donā€™t know how I missed it but here is the interesting stuff.

Two Portals.

https://portal.samsungsami.io/#/

Will take you to the user facing portal. Very nice charts and graphs that update in real time. Can compare and contrast. They even have signal strength for zigbee devices. If you want to monitor battery levels very easily, check this out.

3 Likes

This looks cool. I tried to get to the portal with my current SmartThings account it lets me in but I cant get past the enter your full name and address page. I will try again later today it almost looks like they are having a server problem or maybe I donā€™t have proper permissions. Did you have to get some type of special permission to use it?

That graph reminds me of a conversation I had with Urman over a year ago. He mentioned they had an in house tool that gave them a deeper view inside the userā€™s ZigBee network they were thinking about making available to developers. I wonder if this is the same tool??

https://www.samsungsami.io/

Visit the developer portal and create an account. In the SmartThings mobile app on the more tab there is a + SAMI(Alpha) smartapp. Once you have a samsung account, you will be able to connect your ST devices to SAMI. You should then be able to visit

https://portal.samsungsami.io/#/

And start to see your data.

Hi - created a sami account. Can log into portal. But I cant for the life of my find the sami app on the smarthings android app. Just do not see it under more tab. Was it removed perhaps?

In v2 of the mobile app, a lot of things are moved around. Thereā€™s now a ā€œmarketplaceā€ section and it is divided into two sections, one for things and one for smart apps. Sami should be under ā€œmoreā€ of the smart apps section of the marketplace. It wonā€™t show up under ā€œmoreā€ of the things section there.

(This part should be the same for both the iOS app in the android app. If itā€™s not, put in a support ticket to support@smartthings.com )

So:

Open smart things mobile app

Select marketplace ( colored star icon in the lower right)

Select smartapps

Select more

Scroll down to find the Sami smart app and tap to follow install directions

Hi - just dont have the option - weird. I am based in UK if perhaps this is down to location.

You would definitely run into the OAuth problem in the UK with Sami, I just didnā€™t know that the App is now smart enough to know that.

It looks like youā€™re missing the harmony integration as well, so apps requiring Oauth being blocked for UK accounts would make sense.

1 Like