SmartThings Needs an Independent Change Management Process Review Team

Personally, I think there are at least two areas of ITSM that SmartThings urgently need to improve:

1. SmartThings needs to improve their Release Management to ensure they are focusing on developing the right features with the appropriate priority, and appropriate consultation with their customers. E.g. SmartThings ought not to have released the new LAN Discovery feature without the option to turn it off. Similarly, there should have been more consultation on the recent Color Theme changes.

2. SmartThings needs to improve their Change Management to ensure that when changes are implemented they are fully tested beforehand (and after), are scheduled appropriately, and have adequate back-out plans and accompanying documentation. We really donā€™t want a repeat of the recent botched update to the z-wave library (where the wrong code was released) for example!!

It does seem to me that sometimes SmartThings chuck out new features and changes while completely forgetting they have a large community of developers at all. :persevere:

1 Like

There is absolutely no reason to believe that SmartThings is receptive to anything close to this.

2 Likes

They are not. I can almost guarantee this.

5 Likes

I long ago stopped contacting ST support on issues. It was, and IMO, remains, a waste of time. I now just hope & pray things are functional within a reasonable amount of time before I face my wifeā€™s wrath. Seriously, if I were a betting man, I am sure that more ST system have been disabled / removed because of WAF & ST reliability (or not, as the case may be)

J

1 Like

Hold onā€¦You did not hear how TWO of my Sirens DIED?
In both cases, ST F@$^T UP and My Wife almost took my head OFF! Scared the S#!T Out of my then 1 year old baby girl!
Almost gave an attack!

If you find any of my posts on this, My Sirens learned how to Fly and Crash land into a concrete wall in the back of my house.

3 Likes