SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor Battery

I’ve got close to 200 devices and I have no issues using this app.

@a4refillpad are you able to run a ‘all devices - state’ and see all 200 devices.

No I’ve never use that option. I use the All devices - Last Event, the dashboard and all it’s threshold notifications. I also see no point in adding all 200 devices, I mainly use it to monitor all my battery devices which is in excess of 100 devices and it seems to have zero issues with that.

1 Like

@a4refilpad ahhh, then thats why its working for you and you are not seeing the time out for a large number of devices.

I just released version 2.3.1 which should fix the problem with the “All Devices - States” screen and make it more useful by only showing values for the devices that have the corresponding capabilities.

Although it can be frustrating at times, I do appreciate when users push issues because the end result is sometimes a better SmartApp, so thank you.

When you have a moment, can you update to version 2.3.1 and let me know if the “All - Device States” screen loads for you? It seems to work fine with my 81 devices and all capabilities selected, but I’m curious to know if it will still load with 100+ devices.

@krlaframboise 2.3.1 seems to have fixed “All Devices - States” for me! Thank You!

1 Like

Ok, the update fixed and lets me use that option now. I then tried adding the rest of my devices in (took ages, really can do with an add all option). Now the app won’t launch at all. Think I need to uninstall it.

I’m happy just using it to monitor only my battery devices.

The Alexa SmatApp has a button like that so we know it’s possible, but ST hasn’t given developers access to it.

You only selected each device once, right? How many devices do you have?

Does it show an error in live logging?

Don’t know, when you have this many, selecting them in a huge list, I’m bound to have selected a few more than once. Anyway, I had to delete the instance and start again as my whole system was running poorly. Back up and running with only my battery sensors which is still in excess of 100 and all working fine.

Having a few selected more than once shouldn’t cause problems, I just wanted to make sure you weren’t purposely selecting them more than once.

Limiting the number of capabilities selected in the “Display Which Capabilities” setting of the Display Settings screen before selecting more devices might prevent the error you encountered.

Even though you don’t plan on adding the other devices and you’re just using it to monitor batteries, you should still probably limit the capabilities being shown in the SmartApp using the field mentioned above because it should make the SmartApp open a lot faster.

1 Like

@krlaframboise I use a cheap windows phone for contacts at work. today when i checked in on things I clicked on just the water sensors and it was showing all devices like i was looking at “All Devices - States” I checked other categories like contacts, motion, and temperature with the same results (all devices - states’ listed). I checked in the configure for each type of device and i had only those devices selected in each of its own kind (i.e. leak sensors just had the leak sensors selected).

Please post a screenshot because if I tap the “Water Sensors” button on the main screen, I only see my water sensors.

The “choose which capability” setting on the “display settings” page controls which buttons are shown on the main screen and which attributes are shown in the “All Devices - States” page, but the “all devices” pages will always show all devices.

The “Choose Devices” page lists all the capabilities to ensure you’ll be able to add all your devices, but which field you choose the device from has no affect on which page it appears on. (lights are the only exception).

@Kevin, what is your recommended way to rotate the google-sheet-log every week or so? I noticed logging failed status in the phone-app, then found I maxxed out the first log at 2M cells after 11-12 days, so I manually saved as newfilename+date, opened the original filename and deleted the existing lines (all except the top row), and logging restarted ok. I mostly lost 2 days of logging - a few items were still logged during the maxxed-out/failed 2 days but it’s not clear to me why those few events were logged and most configured items/events were not.

So I’m thinking that modifying the script is the way to rotate logs - not familiar with google script yet but it will only take me a few months to figure it out.

In the “Other Options” section, enable the “Delete Extra Columns” option and that should give you about an extra 30% of space.

I’m not sure if the script has the necessary permissions to create new files, but I’ll play around with it and get back to you. I was thinking of a different solution, but yours is a lot simpler so if it’s possible I’ll implement it.

In the meantime, you may want to limit the attributes being logged unless you really need that much data.

Another option is to install another instance of the SmartApp so you can split the devices being logged between them.

I’ll try to have some type of solution within a few days.

1 Like

I am just changing the range of my chart manually every week or so. I’m not logging enough to max it out that fast. I think I did make a copy of the sheet and then deleted out the data from the original sheet one time. I was thinking it would be nice to have the main sheet accept lots of data, but then have another sheet that summarized the data hourly(?). Long term I think hourly data would be useful for looking at trends and take up much less space. I would need to learn google scripting as well which I haven’t yet.

I go through a battery on our main door every few months or less. Supports solution was to delete the device and reinclude it. I haven’t tried that yet but it seems like a PITA all for nothing.

I used to get problems with the samsung multi-sensor on my front door, thought it was on the edge of the zigbee mesh in the house and spent most of its time in ‘panic’ mode - so I stuck a samsung mains switch nearby to act as a repeater and the battery problems went away.

So, always worth check your mesh, and seeing if putting in a repeater can help.

Shaun

Battery at 67% and nothing reported for 12 hours , seems that 60 something % really means-dead.
Tried a reset but nothing so I suppose it’s new battery time
Only 3 month old
Poor

Brand new battery installed today 15/02 and BOOM straight in at 67% WTF
can i have a new sensor please!!!

I have a 3 week old multipurpose sensor currenty reporting 67%. At this pace, I will have to replace batteries every 2 months… :frowning:.

My two multipurpose that came with my kit both have garbage batteries. I just put one up about 6 weeks ago. It’s dead already. The other I just pulled out of the box and it’s at 67% already. Seriously - Samsung couldn’t afford to put a decent battery in these things? What nonsense.