SmartThings Outage - Jan 16 2018

:joy: Favorites are gone

Yeah, it would’ve been 2010 for me too. Unfortunately, my illness is progressive, so the 2018 story is a lot different. So it goes. But candles aren’t an option at our house. :disappointed_relieved:

By the way, for anyone who is interested, there is a page in the community – created wiki on devices that work with both HomeKit and smartThings. There aren’t many, but there are some, so that Gives you more flexibility as well since Siri can run over cellular even if the Internet is out and everything else runs locally for HomeKit.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Devices_that_Work_with_HomeKit_and_SmartThings

2 Likes

Yeah nothing like not reading properly and making a fool of myself publicly - but some days that happens :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Intermittent here.

Smartthings back up as of a couple of minutes ago.

Mike

1 Like

… Yup. It’s unfortunate that SHM’s consequences can operate while cloud is down, but cannot be disarmed. :cry:

1 Like

ST back up, components coming back slowly.
I’d expect Favorites will be back soon.

You know, when I got home I noticed Alexa commands were slow. It now occurs to me they all were ST related commands.

1 Like

Back up again here.

Actually I came home today to 2 of my Google Homes soft bricked and needed to be factory reset because they couldn’t find the network, even after going into settings in the Google Home app. Maybe it’s not as way-out-there as you think.

2 Likes

My phone presence sensor is still reporting as Away

BTW, The new ADT/Smartthings security panel has some significant improvements in this area, but only for the dual logo devices that are authorized to notify the ADT monitoring center.

Those specific functions do operate locally and have their own cellular communication module. And you can arm or disarm it even when the SmartThings cloud is down.

It doesn’t help you with the lights or the thermostat, but as far is the security functions, it won’t run into this particular issue.

2 Likes

Ya it’s gradually coming back. My Things finally loaded. Exited out of App. Favorites are still intact.

I’m back up also, but the app did require me to login with my id/psw (something I had to think about…it’s been a few years…)

1 Like

These last two outages may push more people who rely on the v1 / v2 hub as their primary security in Smartthings into this option.

These unplanned outages could be a well planned marketing move for just that reason. Subliminal advertising. :grin:

Didn’t have to go that route here. Just exited out of app and selected again. All recovered without being forced to login.

1 Like

By any chance did you already have a Samsung ID? Or just SmartThings?

@tgauchat was your V1 hub affected by this outage?

1 Like

I’m back up and running.

Brian

My SmartThings ID was converted over to Samsung Account as part of the Account Migration beta, so I’m kind of a one off.

This person is on v1 and reported down.

I’m on V1 also, and my ID is original to ST.

1 Like