Smartthings: I'm sick of this sh*t! Shape up!

Not to pile on here, but I am really hoping the V2 of the hub fixes a lot of these issues.

We had some friends visit from Thailand last week and I purposely didn’t bring up Smatthings for fear it wouldn’t work exactly as it should when showing it off. My wife decided to be nice and ask me to show our friends, and of course not everything worked exactly as it should.

It ends with me sitting there apologizing and our friends thinking I am silly for wasting my money!

The issues with the app really are brutal, it takes SOOOO long to refresh the status of all the connected devices and essentially becomes a chore to take out my phone, open the app and wait for a refresh before I can even turn off a light!!! This is not what I had in mind when I invested in this system.

Thankfully all the hardware I have purchased is hub agnostic, so worst case I can jump to Wink or something similar if I need to.

Again I understand like everyone else that Smartthings is pushing ahead in uncharted territory, but it really does seem like there is little attention/progress being made on improving the daily user experience!!!

1 Like

I am beggining to get frustrated as well. The one thing that keeps me here is I don’t believe there is another polished product out there that works better and has the integration support like ST. Wink? I’ve read terrible reviews. Revolv is discontinued. My friend has a Mi Casa Verde and complains that they update it too slow and it has awful support. The market is sure for the taking…

Whoever has been in charge of that has clearly shown little alignment with the user experience. Think about the hoops we’re forced to jump through to remove or replace a device. Think about not having visible labels on our devices. Think about the mobile app’s user interface. Think about the poor documentation. I can go on and on, and a new hub isn’t going to correct usability issues that decision makers within the organization felt were acceptable.

2 Likes

Removing/replacing a device feels like a process that is still in Alpha. I still can’t believe they make the user hunt down each instance of the device and remove manually vs. adding in an override/warning and letting the user remove everything with one confirmation click.

2 Likes

Right there with all you guys! Personally I have to indict the whole code-generator/run from the cloud solution. Clearly there has to be a smoking gun somewhere when you have a solution made with one of these modules and the code starts firing wrong some day for no clear reason?? If you don’t touch anything it should not break itself!! They need a “baseline your code” solution that allows you to save your runtime instance incase this stuff happens.

My blood pressure is so much in control since I stopped complaining and looks like my heart condition is improving as per my cardiologist who suggested to stay away from any kind of STress… :wink:

Also so admire my missus. She so turns a blind eye when things don’t work as expected so as not to break my heart. She will intentionally make it a point to use the regular lights and switches so as not to break anything in my setup.

I would prefer totally dumb rather than 49% smart!
I am back to my previous pre ST hobby: photography.

With you @smart. I check in here every month or two to see if anything new is happening, but I’ve stopped writing code/apps/arduino shield stuff as well. It’s a shame because I really enjoy this stuff. I guess we’ve achieved step 5

@adamskoreyko, I’m right there with you as well - I’m probably personally responsible for convincing about a dozen people never to buy SmartThings simply by trying to demo my system.

In a similar mindset. App is way too slow (iPhone 6 Plus). Events misfire way too often. The other night at 11pm my garage door opened because it thought I arrived - when i’d been home for hours. I also installed a nanny cam because I don’t trust ST. I really hope CES brings major, major improvements.

I am 70 devices in…and trying to hang on, but the silence is deafening from ST, and performance makes me think of a NASA-like problem where our control signals have to goto Mars and back to operate our homes…that much lag time.

As someone who runs a large cloud platform and grew through the problems ourselves I can tell you this idea of silence is about the worst thing you can do.

I stand by my comments made to ST CEO publicly when purchase was announced: things would change and for the worse. (paraphrased)

I have so many people coming to me to see my fancy house manager…but I stopped recommending it in September, and actively avoid the conversations for the most part now.

I want nothing more for them than to see them succeed, but they are making terribly poor management mistakes in operations, communications and crisis management right now, and I am sure Samsung is right in there monkeying up the works too.

1 Like

I agree completely. One day smartthings works flawlessly and then the next day half my devices don’t respond then the next day its back to normal. The only things that have been constant for me - my door locks and my tilt sensors on my garage doors. I have an opener for my garage linked so when my car is close the door opens - there are times I am leaving and it opens (using my phone as the sensor) - sometimes I am like 3 miles away and I get notification the door is opening.

I have all my main lights set to turn on when I get home (we live surrounded by woods so we dont get a lot of natural light inside) and when I walk in maybe one light is on.

Our outside light is scheduled to turn on at sunset, turn off at 2am and turn back on at sunrise - it hasnt turned off in days but if I go into the app and manually turn it off it turns off.

Getting REALLY frustrated - may just go back to using micasa verde - while not as automated and easy as smartthings, it ALWAYS worked.

Same here, getting tired of things randomly not working as expected.
I’m starting to dream of Google or another big player to come up with a better solution and shake things up.

Here’s my perspective. I’ve been using ST since exactly 1 year ago from today, and like @Mike_Maxwell, I’ve not chimed into this thread since I too have nothing to complain about from a functional perspective. I’ve got just over 120 devices of all types, almost all all physical (and just zwave and zigbee), with just a handful of virtual; and many of those virtual devices are fed from physical devices that are 3-in-1’s, etc. My sunset/sunrise events have been flawless (except during ST’s major infrastructure change a while back), and my smartapps run just as well - whether they’re ones I’ve created or built-in ones leveraged through the Dashboard. Over the next few days I even plan on adding 10 more physical devices.

I don’t use the Dashboard much except to see a quick status of all things like my doors, windows, lights, smoke/CO2 detectors, and for apps associated within those - turn on lights when there’s motion, or sunrise/sunset, or danger/alarm conditions. I control all things through Things and have all my things in groups. Even my wife uses ST regularly, and we’ve even used an old Samsung S4 phone as a “remote” via ActiON Dashboard for our guest room for visitors to use.

I also do not use or rely on any mobile presence device. That “feature” has been a PITA since I’ve started, but instead I’m using ST’s zigbee presence tags in all my cars to trigger certain conditions. Works perfectly to turn on lights, set temps, etc - but I still prefer closing my garage door the old fashioned way (I am using the tag in my car as an experiment, but not the wife or kid’s cars yet).

Maybe my positive experiences with ST are related to building out a large mesh network, or not relying on mobile presence, or sticking with only zwave/zigbee devices, or not trying to integrate Sonos/Hue/Product “X”, or all of the above. I agree that the IDE should be faster, latency could be improved, new device support needs to happen faster, and promises of hub v2 really need to deliver. I was also part of the Android beta, and compared to what was there back then, it is a lot better; but the app still needs to be improved for usability - naming tiles instead of icons, user roles, 2 factor authentication, etc.

Is there room for improvement, yes; but it has been improving. The silence we’re all experiencing today is deafening, and I am hoping CES reveals a lot of good news from ST. I’ll stick with ST through their next hub release and the challenges that will bring, but I’ll always keep an eye out for someone in the HA marketplace to clearly step out and take a lead because there is a large opportunity for someone to do so.

3 Likes

Same here. I have similar frustrations. I really regret having invested in Smartthings. Id never recommend it without it dramatically improving.

Here’s my take on this… Anything zwave that I have from my modest 55 devices works fine all the time with zero issues. ST products (multis, smart outlets and motion sensors - powered and battery operated) works absolutely fine and are the best. The temps and humidity related products - not so good at all.

The worst experiences that I have are with the most popular main stream products which are still in lab and so, I give ST a benefit of doubt even though these are the products I love the most and spent the most dough on…

1. Philips hue and its family of products.
  2. Sonos
  3. GE link bulbs (although I am not at all a fan of these and don’t care)
  4. Logitech Harmony Ultimate home.

The horrible(est) of them all all is Aeon multi when used “outdoors”.

This is a total honest and unbiased opinion. And all interference has been removed per se meaning my sonos BOOST is in the basement far away from my ST hub and the routers (three airport extremes are spread across the house on different fixed channels/frequency and not colliding with hue or ST hub).
Update on #2 Sonos: as long as I use my own app for notifications etc., it works 99% of the time.

Well I have to say all my Zwave stuff is rock solid. Schedule are working great. I do have a small home 1100 Sq ft one level and about 45 devices so maybe I have a good Zwave mesh Compared to some of the users with bigger homes. I use the Smartthing presences sensors and they are flawless. I believe using the phone as a presence sensor is hit or miss. But that technology always has been (life360, and those who remember google latitude) . There are some things I do find disappointing. I remember the ceo of Smartthings saying great things were going to happen when Samsung got involved. So far the only great things that have happened is from the user community. ACTION-DASHBOARD, the ability to manage lock codes, just to name a few of a big long list from the community. I also hate how the Smartthing labs is kind of a graveyard, once something goes in there it never comes out fully supported (Sonos, harmony, hue).

I’m hoping a company will take the voice recognition of Amazon echo give it a personality of http://www.myjibo.com/ and put in a Zwave radio. Now that will be a show stopper.

Until then I’ll sit back and wait. Maybe Smartthing can control my smart Samsung TV someday. If only Smartthing engineers had access to Samsung engineers… Oh wait… :wink:

I hope I’m wrong, but I’m expecting some bad news to come from ST soon…

Amen to that. Prior to the holidays I did a nuke and pave to my entire setup(3rd time in a year). I have been toying around with the idea of selling the whole thing but I’ve since demoted it to a “hobby” that I can just enjoy when it works. The Hue app has been my fallback, which works flawlessly. Biding my time for HomeKit is all I’m doing. It couldn’t come any sooner since I’ve invested so much at this point between Hue, Sonos, and other things. If it doesn’t work with SmartThings, then it’s ebay for those products. Given the fact that Shamesung now owns them, it probably won’t work. Too bad.

Alex… Please don’t even think about it what I am thinking.

I am so going to steal your word “Shamesung”!

It’s all yours. Royalty free!!