Smartthings: I'm sick of this sh*t! Shape up!

@alex and @mager (putting you here since might be added to the IDE) - One thing I think would be very helpful for someone trying to figure out their system and when things go “not according to what they thought the plan was” is to make sure the logs show what triggered an event. For example, I show my inside garage light turning on and off, but the logs don’t say what the trigger for that action was. Was it a timeout for motion, timeout for the multi-sensor on the door, perhaps modes changed? Now, I can look through all the smart apps associated with a device and try to troubleshoot, but that can sometimes be tedious if there are a bunch listed and if they are also multi-page setups. By stating the exact trigger, things become immensely easier.

I made a similar request when I was first starting out with ST, but it was a bit more narrow in scope. As people add more devices, their setups become much more complex - as stated in numerous posts above. This causes that troubleshooting or “why did that happen” to be much more complex without something like this.

EDIT - I did look at some more logs in the IDE and see that sometimes it is noted that a Smart App or hello home action triggered it. However, it is not always there. That garage light I was talking about doesn’t tell me who tapped its shoulder!

3 Likes