SmartThings Hub Version 2.0

Saw the latest blog post today:

Does this fire sale indicate the eminent release of Hub 2.0?

That’s how Apple does it.

Yes.

But define “eminent”.

1 Like

Sure you can combine it. I don’t know how to do that.

Well I just take the $100 off deal, If the hub v2.0 is released within the 30 days I may return the old one ! (Or maybe smartthings could do an offer for upgrading v1 hubs…).

2 Likes

This is true, although one may not necessarily want to invest in Hub V2 at all. Hub V1 could be sufficient depending on requirements, expectations and budget.

There’s also a rumor of a new generation sensors coming out soon.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it a rumor :slight_smile: We’re releasing a new version of our Multi sensor and our Motion sensor.

8 Likes

Hi Folks,

Any release date for the smart hub 2?
Does it support European Zigbee and zWave standards to connect the 220V bulbs, switches,etc…?

Thanks

Hey! There hasn’t been a release date for Hubv2 yet, nor was one provided for the UK at this time.

:slight_smile: Stay tune at the announcement forums. That and the blog.smartthings.com will be the first place we’d announce it! :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Thanks.

Any specs shared?
Anyone knows if there is a plan for PoE?

No plans for Power over Ethernet.

1 Like

I remember Jeff mentioning in one of the developer calls that the Hub V2 is expected to release on July 1st … Should the count down begin? May be not? I guess time will tell… The best always comes late :wink: … I hope my optimism pays off :slight_smile:

4 Likes

2016… guess you missed that part :wink:

I hope its July 2015

been waiting for local control for too long (ever since i got off the Vera platform in Jan 2014)…

The passion displayed here (and other threads) is one of the things that keeps me excited about SmartThings and the future. But you guys are too funny sometimes.

We are releasing the next generation hub (v2) in a matter of weeks and people act like this is Duke Nukem Forever. More amusing is the idea that it will be a silver bullet for all the platform woes. Sure things will run locally, but that local app engine IS essentially the cloud service running on the hub. If anything this complicates the architecture. All events will still be sent to the cloud so that notifications and things can be sent to your phone, wherever you are.

You can quote me, but I think most current customers should NOT upgrade unless you really want video streaming. There will not be a migration tool at launch so if you have 50+ devices connected you are tearing that down and building it up again. There are likely going to be a few other disappointments with the impending hub v2 release. Will it be better than v1? Yes. Worth upgrading right out of the gate? I wouldn’t.

28 Likes

Ben, thank you for blunt honesty!

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll quote you. This is quite possibly the most depressing statement issued by ST in the last year. If all focus has been on hub v2 to fix v1 issues, and it now all boils down to a paid service for video streaming, then this is a sad day.

Unless, hub v2 also means v2 of the platform, in which all v1 hubs can start to take advantage of all the promised features and options needed to make this a robust platform.

Or, maybe we should just wait for hub v3?

I hope there can be a bit more clarification on @Ben statement on hub v2 and feature sets…

1 Like

I applaud @Ben for keeping it real! Those who think V2 is going to be a panacea for all the on-going platform stability issues are drinking too much Kool-Aid.

2 Likes

I knew I wouldn’t have to wait long for a stream of messages with this observation to start appearing.

The Community has very high expectations for Hub V2. I’m glad to see efforts from @Ben and others to temper these expectations here.

I’d be even happier to see marketing materials toned down just a bit or tuned for blunt accuracy, so as to curtail the level of disappointment experienced and posted by newer members.

4 Likes

@Ben , I think we eagerly anticipate the new hub partially just because of the fact that it’s new hardware. But I think a lot of anticipation is because it means Smartthings is staying competitive and continuing to try to innovate. Frankly, it seems like things have grown a bit stagnant. I believe things are happening behind the scenes that power ST users are going to like, but we don’t know what those things are (api improvements, better device support, etc.). We know there’s a new hub, though, so for many of us, that’s a place of hope for continued success of the platform.

I have invested a lot into ST. I built an X10 hardware interface with a duino and shield that works 100% of the time, and am proud of it. I want ST in general to work 100% of the time. I also want it to work with 100% of the functionality of the devices in my system. I want a thermostat with a humidity sensor to actually show humidity. I want a power meter with measurements for two legs to show both measurements. I want a light switch with two or four buttons on it to work as two or four buttons. I want a Smartapp “out of the box” that allows basic levels of thermostat scheduling. I want things to just work, even though I personally can go through the hoops to find workarounds. It’s great that developers can build their own device types, but ST should be constantly improving things for users that don’t WANT to have to copy and paste code. ST should be constantly improving their mobile apps so that, for example, you can see a list of your devices instead of icons that all run together. For ST to be successful long term, it’s going to have to innovate towards powerful flexibility and easy of use, and maximum compatibility with a minimum of fuss.

I go off on this tangent because, for me and maybe for others, Hub v2 is a symbol - it stands for something. It stands for improvement, for innovation, for SUCCESS for the platform which many of us are spending our HA hours and budgets on. I hope you can understand that, and maybe see a different perspective through this.

ps. The original Duke Nukem was incredible! It never needed a v2 :).

3 Likes

Not paid. Video streaming in any sense will require the v2 Hub hardware. Premium DVR-like service coming later.

Sure there is tons of work going into the platform, stability, scalability, new mobile experience, but the hardware itself, aside from adding battery backup and local processing isn’t going to add much in the way of new stuff right away.

This exactly. There is a lot going on. Too much, many (including me) would say. For example we are doing international rollouts to the UK and Korea this year. That is a distraction we didn’t need. Such is business.

2 Likes