SmartThings Hub Version 2.0

Thank you for clarifying that @duncan. That’s fantastic!

Now that makes sense why the batteries. Otherwise a standalone UPS makes more sense.

Uh Oh, did you guys realize rebooting the hub will be more complicated to support? You can no longer say to just unplug it anymore.

There’s a button on the back!

Come on @tyler @duncan Now that V2 is no longer a secret. Show us some love and post a 3D view of the beast! :wink: along with you SSN and DOB. Need to go shopping.

1 Like

10 Likes

Still hoping for wall mount screw holes, of course, please (though that may be relatively low priority on many folk’s wish lists…).

In other words: Can we peek at the back and bottom? @Ben

…CP.

1 Like

Show us the goodies on that, Mr. @Ben! :wink: there must be some holes, some buttons… Don’t keep it to your yourself and be that possessive. That sexy thing needs to be shared!

3 Likes

Wow. Is it… a box?

2 Likes

You nailed it all with all pun intended.

1 Like

Three little holes…

• Microphone? (unlikely)
  • Piezo buzzer? (possible)
  • LED status lights? (most likely?)

I think those are how all the “z” waves get in and out. However, they seem to be a bit small for blue teeth.

4 Likes

LED status lights.

(20charlimit)

I think it’s an IMac mini with a photoshopped logo of ST on the top :smile:

Seriously though - I need to get some renders made of the back. But here are a few photos I snapped of a prototype:

NOT final plastics.

6 Likes

power brick adapter plug, reset button?, usb/usb, ethernet

4x AA batteries?

Nice tease. :wink:

You know what’d be nice…If you could use rechargeable batteries that recharged when on AC power.

3 Likes

I’m presuming that the batteries are ONLY used when AC power is dropped. As such, they won’t discharge very often, in the intended use case. My irrigation system works that way.

Supporting recharging makes this complicated or expensive for the consumer, since then they cannot just insert off-the-shelf AA’s – and if they do, a dangerous situation arises.

Low self-discharge rechargeables are relatively expensive, and nearly all such batteries are not designed to live in a constant recharging state – it shortens their usable lifespan.

Probably stuff that SmartThings brainstormed about.

2 Likes

I’m actually glad they’re NOT doing that! if you have rechargeable batteries then you have to have a charger anyways. And having rechargeable batteries always in use recharging means lower battery life, more wasted energy and not to mention if you use higher end rechargeable batteries you don’t want them being charged by random chargers and stick with something like the La Cross or something…

My only thing is, what’s the point? if your power is out you need a backup source to power your router/modem/etc anyways so having ST independently power will just make ppl think that even if they blow the entire home circuit they’re lights will still turn on cause there are 4AA batteries in the ST base.

Why would 6 volts dc power not be able to power up an entire 120 volt ac house? :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, If I remember correctly, it’s about being able to pair a device w/out wires.

2 Likes

And:

1. Still control local battery powered devices for a period of time (e.g., activate battery powered siren based on battery powered contact sensor; lock / unlock battery powered door lock).

2. Utilize external GSM (cellular) network connectivity to send offline or alert messages across the internet to cloud, mobile app, SMS, and/or Central Monitoring subscription Service