SmartThings Hub Version 2.0

Sure. This is a perfect example of “My use case is not your use case.” Different people will have different reasons for using these kinds of devices. Smartthings becomes a platform to let people set up the solutions that are of value to them.

Using just the Bluetooth toothbrush as an example, many dentists surveyed do like the idea. There are three different specific use cases where they actually make a lot of sense.

1. people who know what they should be doing for tooth and gum health, but just don’t quite do it, and can be motivated by monitoring and medal systems. :tada: This applies to all kinds of good habits whether it’s exercising regularly, or paying bills, or, yes, brushing teeth. There are people who do find that they brush more often, or more diligently, when they get a gold star at the end of it. Nothing wrong with that. This appears to be a large percentage of the target market for the Bluetooth toothbrush.

Two) people who have cognitive or physical issues which cause them to brush incorrectly, or to skip brushing. For example, some people on the autism spectrum, and some people in the early stages of dementia, do brush too hard, and actually cause gum damage. They may well be helped by monitoring systems which alert them when too much pressure is being applied. This is the kind of thing which is very difficult to do without high tech pressure sensors. I also personally know quadriplegics who need assistance brushing their teeth, and a toothbrush which would alert the person doing the brushing that too much pressure is being applied could be really helpful. :wheelchair:

Three) The third use case would be for medical smart houses where you want to unobtrusively do wellness checks on a person just to make sure that they’re out of bed and doing their personal care routines. We’ve talked about these in the past, everything from noting if the person Weighed themselves in the morning, or took a shower, or opened the refrigerator. Toothbrushing would be another good indicator that the person was up and doing normal routines. :footprints:

For any of these three situations, the system might be set up to trigger events when the toothbrushing was done, even if it’s only to make a notation in a log.

But if you want your lights to flash blue and gold when you meet your personal toothbrushing goals, why not? It’s the same concept as having them flash, or music play, when you meet your exercise goals for the day.

So the first example is about motivation, the second is about monitoring the brushing activity itself, and the third is about using the absence of brushing activity as a warning indicator to a third party that something might be wrong.

Doesn’t mean I’m going to rush out and buy $160 Bluetooth toothbrush for myself, but “all home automation is local.” I could certainly see people who would find the gadget useful–including the ability to trigger other events.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

4 out of 5 dentists recommend Bluetooth?

4 Likes

I’d be ok with buying mine a second bluetooth toothbrush if it meant he’d clean the toilets. =)

6 Likes

As a Brit, I’d actually prefer it if ‘many dentists’ just liked the idea of putting the right amount of fluoride in the toothpaste here instead of putting it in the water but that’s another story…

I like how this thread now has a ‘solution’… I don’t see any V2 hub yet so we have no ‘solution’ yet :smiley:

3 Likes

I guess the solution is “Wait for official announcement.” :smile:

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Philips Hue Lux Device?

Use case:

Start brushing, good morning hello home triggers… :wink: if after sunset, Good night triggers! They typically have four modes and well we have button controller app.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Naah… 5 out of 5 dentists for yellow tooth! :wink: darn, we started with V2 to oral hygiene… :slight_smile:

1 Like

One thing is for sure, I am going to stop brushing my teeth the old dumb way until STv2 is out so I can brush the remaining tooth the Smart way!

3 Likes

An as for me, I will STOP using ST until they get wrid of the CLOUD…Permanently!

Well, the cloud will most likely always be a part of ST. So let me know what you go with that isn’t connected to the internet / cloud?

2 Likes

Make sure you find a good dentist, cause you may get a bunch of cavities before V2 is out!

Hi @pstuart,

Read my other post on another thread from this morning and you’ll get why there will be no more H/A in my house because of ST Cr@p Events Killing my family quiet time together.

i no longer have lights come on/off on any schedule or based on presence, and i believe the ONLY thing ST is doing is spitting out the morning weather forecast (when it works)… it’s a lot less frustrating to have ST gather dust than have it screw things up.

1 Like

Hi all,
I’ve actually been closely monitoring this thread for about 2 months now. I’m building a new house, and have it setup with light switches everywhere, garage doors, door locks, and a few other sensors and gadgets. Even got an Ecobee thermostat or 2 based on its connectivity options with ST.

Only thing I don’t have yet is…a hub. I’m kind of waiting for V2. I feel like it’d be REALLY silly to buy the v1 hub now and then within a month buy a v2 and have to reconfigure everything.

So heres to hoping I won’t have a long wait, because I’m really excited to hook everything up! I’ll feel awful silly having a smart home without a hub. :smiley:

1 Like

Will the USB ports be USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?

1 Like

I’m in the same space. I have a closet full of sensor boxes from various deals I’ve scored during the past several weeks. I’m working to resist the urge to purchase the v1 hub, but it’s getting tough!

2 Likes

From the picture. the plug is all white and no blue so I think it’s usb 2. I could be wrong cause there is a chance it could be USB 1.

1 Like

I’m still new to all of this and trying to keep up with the lingo - two questions:
What is meant when you say radio will be activated later? Is that IR? Does it mean Lutron will be supported?

Also, what is “Flic”? I couldn’t find reference to it in Google. Is it a product line or protocol? Can someone post a link so I can read up on it?

Thanks!