SmartThings Hub V2 now available for pre-order

@Andy_Godber @pstuart

Andy shipping is not an issue for me, I am doing all my shipping local in US first. Direct shipping to India is costly both in terms of courier costs and then in terms of customs that may be applied.

@pstuart Power plug is hardly a good offer when you can pickup Aeon Smart Energy Switch in the range of 25-30$, it serves as a repeater, it works on 220V and since it has a wire tail at both ends, the plugs can be adapted internationally. For Zigbee repeaters, I would go for $11.24 GE Link Bulbs. :slight_smile: I have lots of them around, even when it required to step dpwn my lighting circuits to 110V. (My mains is 220V).

Heres another link, 2 for USD 50. http://www.zwaveproducts.com/Zwave-Lighting/Zwave-Plugin-Modules/Aeon-Labs-DSC06106-ZWUS-Z-Wave-Smart-Energy-Switch-2-Pack.html

1 Like

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the information on the SmartThings Hub V2. A question I have is, will the V2 support Z-wave plus protocol or will there be plans for this to be available with the hub? The product I am interested in integrating with your SmartThings’ hub is Aeon Smart Switch 6 (Gen 5), which uses Z-wave plus. I read through other forum posts and thread but I could not find a whole lot supporting Z-wave plus.

Thank you,
Tyler.

Just got my Customer Appreciation bundle offer in!

@April @Ben I appreciate you coming up with the second offer for those who missed the first. Thanks ST!!

:smiley:

3 Likes

GE link bulbs have been confirmed to not work as ZigBee ha profile repeaters just ZLL bulb repeaters and that option want even enabled in firmware.

All zwave chip generations are backwards-compatible. It’s part of the standard. You don’t get necessarily get all the new features of the newest device, but you do get basic on/off and reporting. I run several Z wave plus devices with the generation one smartthings hub that is classic zwave, not zwave plus.

That said, the newest Aeon multisensor, the multisensor six, has proven to be difficult to run with smartthings. There is a community developed device handler which improves things, but not everything.

There is a discussion topic on that particular device, and smartthings staff have confirmed that they are working on an official device handler for it. But no specific timeline yet.

So that particular device should work with even the V one hub eventually. And any zwave plus device should be able to operate at a level of basic functionality with the Z wave classic v1 hub.

As to the future, or advanced features on any Zwave plus device (like over the air firmware update), we’ll just have to wait and see.

2 Likes

The only bulbs I am aware of that the manufacturer says will work as ZHA repeaters are the Osram Lightify. And that’s only specific manufacturing runs, some of them were shipped as ZLL instead.

Noted @pstuart :slight_smile: what about Hue bulbs?.. I ave a 220V pack from Hongkong, but I can confirm US kit works on 220V too. However only Hue can handle 220V. LUX cannot.

Hue bulbs only repeat ZLL and in my limited testing they really don’t unless the mesh is extreme.

3 bulbs side by side, one almost always doesn’t work but it moves. If it was repeating only one would need to see hub.

Anyway. Don’t use bulbs as repeaters. Especially ones that are on physical switches.

“All home automation is local.” I think it just depends on the set up, it’s certainly something that can be considered.

I know several people successfully using the linear zwave bulbs as zwave repeaters to get a signal down basement stairs. They can be a really good option for that kind of set up.

I also know one person using a zwave bulb in an overhead kitchen fixture to improve reception in a small kitchen with a lot of big metal appliances.

And we have had community members report that they are using Osram Lightify bulbs as zigbee ZHA repeaters. I could see that being a particularly good option for some outbuilding set ups where there was a sheltered light fixture, but no plugs. Just to give you that extra bounce point to then get a signal through a window.

I agree that most of the time a wired switch or mains powered plug-in is likely to be a more reliable and useful repeater. But there are some situations where a bulb might be useful.

Ben has stated that even the newer version of the v1 hub has z-wave plus, So I think that it would be Extremely unlikely that they would downgrade hardware. IMO you can count on v2 having Z-wave plus on board.

2 Likes

A bulb switched off, no power to it is not a repeater.

ZigBee bulbs make horrible repeater if at all.

Zwave bulbs your mileage may vary, usage dependent.

Switches, dimmers and outlet modules always have power and will always make the best repeaters.

3 Likes

Got my “new” offer as well. I think the first was better. BTW anybody getting an error 404 does not exist? I have. may be temporary so we will see.

Cheers! <3 Glad you were able to take advantage of this one.
Thank you all for your patience and amazing support for us! :smiley:

This is going to be such a fun month!

3 Likes

Despite your cheerleading Benji; I am distinctly underwhelmed. Thanks for the half hearted offer Samsung. Enjoy your new customers.

1 Like

Guys, I am sure things will be much better with the new v2. I don’t think ST is obliged to give any freebies or anything as such. It’s nice of them to throw in something for the “loyal” customers. If we get a power outlet or anything at all it is ok or it may be not what we expected. We should be focusing more on what we get in terms of the v2. A highly improved experience with v2 will be priceless and it’s all that matters. Yes, I got the pre-order deal but cannot even order it due to lack of funds (still paying for my medical bills for heart surgery) and believe me I am not sour at all. Just believe and we will be fine. I am sure @ben @april and the team did what was feasible.

2 Likes

Agreed. Think we (loyal customers) got the shaft on this one. They messed up and are unwilling to offer at least the same offer as before says alot about where this company is going.

Your right they didn’t have to make an offer but they did and messed it up. Then the second offer feels to me like a half hearted offer. Just feel unappreciated by the Smartthings team

1 Like

Agreed, my friend! If I was to pre-order a “loyal” discounted kit, I would have hoped for a sample of each of the ST newer generation devices in the kit. But alas it is not the case! I guess that they have a reason! :slight_smile: On a brighter side, you have one extra zigbee repeater.:.

True guess I will have to start a new project :slight_smile:

1 Like