SmartThings Hub V2 now available for pre-order

Sorry folks, didnt want to flame, but feeling frustrated as no direct answers.
@tgauchat - my KS devices really are European/UK frequency - not US, so they have done it before.
Indeed, ST are not the same as when they were on Kickstarter - seems harder now with Samsung and their money, than with smaller investor funding, which brings me on to …
@Tyler “we’re launching in the UK”… no dates=no assurance.
No answer to loyalty discount question. Even ‘of course, Andy, when we DO launch, we will make sure you keep the discount we offered but we prevented you from using’ would have worked :wink:
“easy enough” …am I thinking actually something was bypassed then in KS?

@samsung (made up user) dont forget Europe+Oz+Asia is bigger market than US.

That’s a fact, of course: But (hopefully!?!) SmartThings is being optimally conservative in not spreading themselves too thin as they grow. Expansion and scaling domestically is quite a different scope of challenge than expanding globally.

As a domestic (US) Customer, nothing personal, but I obviously don’t want your needs to affect the quality of service that we Yanks receive. :us: (Well… I’m Canadian, but think they’re doing fine :maple_leaf:).

There are, in fact, quite a lot of interesting smart home products that are launching in the EU and elsewhere that may never enter the US market. It’s not just about Z-Wave frequencies, but hundreds of regulations and certifications and privacy policies, and …, and … that products need to comply with for every country, and tech support in dozens of languages, …

Was there a discounted offer?

I’m trying to understand the same thing. :frowning:

There was, but it sold out in a day. Ben has stated they’re working on something, but gave no indications as to what or when.

1 Like

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: SmartThings Security Approach - Abstract

was for v2 hub and two ST sensors for $99

@ben I’m really sorry to be asking this question again, but maybe I can be more succinct here, and with the coming release of the device, maybe you have a clearer answer.

If I have the v1 hub on a network along with a v2 device on the same network, will the devices attached to the v1 hub be processed locally on the v2 hub?

I’m trying to decide if I need to buy one hub… or 3, as my local network spans a large plot of land. I currently have two v1 hubs serving my home and a detached garage. I’m also planning on expanding to a storage shed using yet another hub (location is too far for a radio), and just want to know if there are any benefits or drawbacks with mixing the two devices together on the same LAN IP… or if this is even possible at this time.

I have one v2 device on preorder. Will it work?

Does anyone has an idea when ST is going to start shipping the latest hubs?.I have pre-ordered it.

To take advantage of the local processing the devices will have to be connected to the v2 hub.

1 Like

Just checked the box of the replacement HUB and it does have Zwave Plus logo on it.

1 Like

I’m sorry guys, a bit late to the party. I had a v1 swap out about a month ago and the new one is the same as the one @cuboy29 has. Haven’t check for the plus logo but my question @JDRoberts is, what was the deal with Z-wave plus again? I mean, why is it better?

Just from here and there. Some pointers here:

http://www.vesternet.com/what-is-z-wave-plus

@smart !!!
We Miss ya round here buddy, hope all is well!

2 Likes

Back after a 3 weeks vacation to India day before early morning, totally jet lagged… :slight_smile:

1 Like

What are you waiting for? There’s echo integration and hub 2 madness waiting.

1 Like

I am brain dead right now to do anything. :slight_smile: echo integration, v2 preorder, kuna lights arriving this Saturday… Darn! Missus is literally dragging me around the house as I am so darn jet lagged…

1 Like

Z-wave plus is the newest generation in zwave. Lots of improvements.

The zwave piece itself is smaller, which means sensors and other devices including it can be smaller, but it also means less power draw.

Along with some other energy management improvements, this should mean for example that battery life is longer. They were really trying to go for a two-year battery life on a Z wave plus door lock. We’ll have to see if they really got there, but they are a lot closer than the previous generation.

Range has been improved pretty significantly. That will help a lot, not just with the actual range, but with the quality of the mesh since it means devices will have more routes available then they had previously, because each device can talk to a wider selection of Other nodes. Fingers crossed, but this may also mean Fewer lost or delayed messages.

Transmission time from the hub to a node will be faster.

It will now be possible to do firmware updates over the air if the device is also Z wave plus and is set up to do that. That’s a nice feature.

There are also some network-management improvements which you won’t see but you will see the results of.

So better battery life, longer-range, faster transmission, over the air firmware update, smaller physical device size, lower energy draw, and a bunch of network-management improvements . All good.

This is why I said I personally would upgrade from V1 to V2 even if the only difference was that V2 was zwave plus. :sunglasses:

it’s also why almost all zwaveproduct manufacturers except the really really low end ones will be coming out with new device lines over the next 18 months that shift to Z wave plus.

The previous generation devices will still work fine, so you could have a network that mixes and matches generations. But you need the primary controller to be zwave plus to get full benefits.

1 Like

How can the antenna be smaller when the frequency is the same? Electrical antenna length is dictated by the wavelength of the signal (which is the same, isn’t it?)

While there are hundreds of “tricks” to make an antenna physically smaller (without making it electrically smaller), they nearly all result in a loss of efficiency - which would result in a shorter range (or greater power draw due to required amplification.)