Smartthings Hub v2 Bluetooth?

A number of community members, including me, already use ibeacons at home. But they’re not a substitute for motion sensors. They can work well with motion sensors, and they can solve some use cases that motion sensors don’t.

But then motion sensors can solve some use cases that iBeacons don’t. For example, we have a guestroom that doesn’t get used very much. But we do store some stuff in there. I have a motion sensor set up so that if that door is opened while the mode is night, the light comes on, then goes off again after 15 minutes of inactivity. This works very well for the situation where someone is just going in there to get a roll of paper towels or an extra blanket or one of the other things we store in there. It also means I don’t have to remind people to turn the light off again. On the other hand, if we actually have a guest staying in that room they use a different set of light controls.

The biggest advantage of this relative to ibeacons is that it doesn’t matter who opens the door, the light will come on. They don’t have to been preapproved, they don’t have to be carrying a smart phone. It’s like a refrigerator light. No matter who opens the door the light will come on. For this particular use case that makes the most sense.

If you’d like to read more about how people are using ibeacons now with the V1 hub, See:

This post, #16 by Ben, Founder and VP Community at SmartThings who answered the perfectly reasonable question with this answer and a link to a 5 month old blog post. That’s what made me think he wanted people to “dig”. Seems pretty clear in his communication. Others clearly thought so too and some people were somewhat less than impressed, as noted by a few comments later on. I have no idea what he was thinking other than he wanted people looking in multiple threads in the forums.

What I was thinking is that we are not allowed to discuss details yet due to partner agreements, PR firms, and the like. We’ve been telling people to stay tuned this week for more details.

5 Likes

Thank you! Finally a completely straight answer that makes total sense. I appreciate your candor and now I can understand what was going on in that whole thread. I thought it was strange that you’d want people to have to work for more info or some strange community building exercise. I did put in my time doing a lot of searching. Honestly, your answer here made a huge difference for me. I’m not as well as I’ve been and I’ve been needing reliable (and not incredibly challenging) home automation for cameras, accessibility, etc and I just didn’t have any more energy. I’ve been looking forward to this launch since it was just a rumor. So happy it’s finally here. I’ll be on the lookout for that info this week. Thanks again, @Ben…I really mean that.

3 Likes

It has been said over and over again on the forum, to the extent that you wouldn’t even have to dig to see that. It is glaringly obvious to everyone else that official details haven’t been and won’t be released yet and that they’ll most likely be released/officially announced at IFA Berlin.

The pre-sales were just that, it wasn’t an official release of the product with all the information.

1 Like

Landed here because I wanted to see if I could connect a TI Sensor Tag to Smartthings. Guess not yet if Bluetooth not enabled still?

see post here: The Next Generation of SmartThings is Here
and post above lists the components.

nRF51822 Nordic Bluetooth Smart and 2.4GHz proprietary SoC
https://www.nordicsemi.com/eng/Products/Bluetooth-Smart-Bluetooth-low-energy/nRF51822

The components are there, but the Bluetooth is not yet enabled. So no direct connection yet.

1 Like

Any word on when Bluetooth will be opened up and supported products added?

If I had to guess st’s official stance is probably “in a few weeks”

2 Likes

[quote=“GeekInspector.com, post:19, topic:21326, full:true”]
Any word on when Bluetooth will be opened up and supported products added?
[/quote] Following this post about the possibility to integrate Z-Zave into MOVE I’d also like to have an estimate.

Maybe I just lost the thread., but it’s getting hard to ignore the increasing number of BT and BTLE devices showing up everywhere. Has a CBA shown a negative result for ST? A “No” I can live with… but silence is just irritating.

It would be nice to have some feedback from Samsung in this.

So many cool BLE devices are come out.

Seems with the Amazon Dot release that this would get more priority from ST. Enabling Bluetooth in hub v.2 would make the Dot a great addition to ST. Also with the speculation of Sonos being a takeover possibility and many think Apple might jump on that to complement Apple Music seems that Bluetooth enabling needs to happen sooner rather than later.

SmartThings already has an official Echo integration that should work with Dot and SmartThings doesn’t have its own speaker ( Dot is intended to use Bluetooth to connect to high quality speakers, audio out, not audio in. It still uses Wi-Fi just like the echo and so can connect with SmartThings that way. )

What would you expect from a Bluetooth integration with Dot that you wouldn’t get from the existing Echo integration?

1 Like

Dot’s Bluetooth functionality is for audio output, otherwise it uses WiFi which is already integrated with ST so what would ST be enabling BT on the hub be for with regards to Dot?

For me. BLE is not just audio. More and more main options are now supporting Bluetooth as it is cheaper to implement.

Also most doing Bluetooth applications are thinking about looks. Smart houses should look good.

The dot does have a speaker. It’s just small like a cellphone speaker. The enabling of BT just opens much more possibilities for integrations. It seems strange that my Ubi can announce events from ST but options with Sonos are limited in that regard as are options for TTS in general.

They should look at integration with the Cassia Bluetooth Router… (www.cassianetworks.com)

Still in pre-order, so there’s nothing to look at yet. Once it’s out, we’ll know a lot more.