SmartThings Hub on WiFi

I’m thinking of using an Eithernet to WiFi adapter to put the Hub on my wireless network.

Does anyone know if the v2 Hub will provide power though its USB port?

I’d like to place my Hub in a more central location and I cannot move my router.
I’d like to avoid power line ethernet adapters (I konw some one would suggest that)

From my understanding the USB ports are disabled, though I have not personally tried to use them either. Also should you decide to go this route, you’ll want to keep it 6ft or more away from the ST hub as wifi and zigbee use the same frequencies and having the two in close proximity can prevent zigbee devices from working consistently.

My Hub is right next to my wireless router right now. I have five connected zigbee devices with no issues. I know the USB port is disabled but it may still provide power. I guess I can just check if it charges my phone. =)

Another option is a more traditional wireless bridge.

Here is what you need. You can’t beat the price.

I use an older wireless router that was in the attic (Netgear 6300v2) in bridge mode to connect the hub via the ethernet port to the router. With a wireless router in bridge mode, I can place the V2 hub closer to my Z-Wave door locks and other contact and motion sensors.

The V2 hub is not a high performance wireless device and therefore performs acceptably on a router bridge.

You still need power for your hub so why can’t you also power the WiFi?

I like the i[quote=“Navat604, post:7, topic:31797, full:true”]
You still need power for your hub so why can’t you also power the WiFi?
[/quote]

I like the idea of keeping it clean =)

1 Like

We use TP-LINK MR3040’s (about $30) http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-MR3040-Wireless-Portable-Compatible/dp/B0088PPFP4 for our hubs, and power it off the USB in the back of the v2 hub. Works great, it’s small, and haven’t had any issues with it over the last few months.

1 Like

I’ve actually done this, and it does work powered off the hub’s USB ports. Theya re powered at all times even if they dont do anything. When you go on battery backup things get a little glitchy due to voltage sag though. Replacing the cells that came with the hub with Energizer advanced Lithium ones solved that.

This is the one I used:

1 Like

I don’t know about reliability longterm, but I used that exact model when I was going around setting up my v2 hub. It worked pretty well, and the USB port did provide power for it, even on battery power. Hope that helps!

This is the exact thing I have been looking for. I just bought a V2 hub and didn’t really want to have it tethered to my modem. How do you set up the TP Link to work properly?