SmartThings hub EU compatibility?

Hi there,
I am from Europe, but due SmartThings availability on EU market I would buy SmartThings hub from US.
I know plug is different but that is not a big deal for me.
But I am wondering if my assumption is correct:
Due to different frequency standards in US z-wave devices bought in EU will not connect to the hub (only those bought in US) but it makes no difference (so no problem) with Zigbee devices as they standard (2,4 GHz) is worldwide. So Zigbee devices bought in EU will connect without any problems.
Is it so easy or did I miss something? Any other concerns?

Thanks
R.

@JDRoberts has written about this so I shall refer you to one of his post on the subject

FAQ: SmartThings international function

2 Likes

The hubs and many accessories are readily available in UK with EU compatible ZWave radio.

Amazon, Currys, PCWorld, Argos are the most well known sources of supply.

If your location is not yet supported, then when you set up an account (register on Samsung Smartthings site) you might have to use a VPN and put your location as a country like UK.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers.
My option no. 1 would be to buy on local (national) market. No problem with radio frequency, quick support, no shipping problems, taxes, customs etc.
But …
… due to strange Samsung SmartThings sell strategy it seems for EU there is only UK as supported country.
And if I can then choose between US and UK, US is the winner for me because:

• 60 USD in US vs. 96USD in UK for hub
  • 20 USD in US vs. 29USD in UK for Water leak or Multiputpose sensor (and I am sure all other are chaper in US)
  • no shipping costs

So if I think about hub + 5 sensors, with US products I will save 81 USD (plus shipping as I can have it from US without any shipping fee (friend)). So I am sure at least 100USD saved. With more sensors of course savings are higher. Plus I assume if I need ZigBee device to connect it necessairly does not need to be from US (because of 2,4 GHz standard)

This is my most motivation to think about US one, instead of UK. I know there is also topic about frequency and if it is legal in country but let´s do not think about this, I am now more focused on technical part and if it is working. Or should. Also if there is no “geo blocker” so it is not problem to connect US hub in Europe, no Samsung SW related restrictions or so.

Thank you

Just some interesting reading…

2 Likes

Thanks for the answers.
My option no. 1 would be to buy on local (national) market. No problem with radio frequency, quick support, no shipping problems, taxes, customs etc.
But …
… due to strange Samsung SmartThings sell strategy it seems for EU there is only UK as supported country.
And if I can then choose between US and UK, US is the winner for me because:

• 60 USD in US vs. 96USD in UK for hub
  • 20 USD in US vs. 29USD in UK for Water leak or Multiputpose sensor (and I am sure all other are chaper in US)
  • no shipping costs

So if I think about hub + 5 sensors, with US products I will save 81 USD (plus shipping as I can have it from US without any shipping fee (friend)). So I am sure at least 100USD saved. With more sensors of course savings are higher. Plus I assume if I need ZigBee device to connect it necessairly does not need to be from US (because of 2,4 GHz standard)

This is my most motivation to think about US one, instead of UK. I know there is also topic about frequency and if it is legal in country but let´s do not think about this, I am now more focused on technical part and if it is working. Or should. Also if there is no “geo blocker” so it is not problem to connect US hub in Europe, no Samsung SW related restrictions or so.

Thank you

I bought the hub and some sensors from Samsung in Norway, so there’s more than UK who’s supported in Europe. Can’t see any reason to buy a US version due to the different Z-Wave frequencies.
I have both zigbee and Z-wave products, and feel it would be a limit just to be able to run zigbee.
Also a lot of US products is made for 110V and will not work in Europe without a transformer.