Is SmartThings Discontinuing the Hub? (July 2019)

Can anyone confirm Samsung are discontinuing the SmartThings hub and sensors?

A bit of context. I’m a developer working in a small team of two. Manager and developer. Over the last six months we trialled a number of home sensor networks and ultimately settled on SmartThings. Our solution is ready for trial and we are looking at purchasing large volumes of sensors and hubs.
Samsung referred us to a supplier and we placed a large order. Waiting waiting waiting, and nothing. My manager pushes our SmartThings supplier and ultimately they tell us Samsung are dropping the hub and sensors. I ping a message to Samsung support and get no reply. My manager gets on the phone to his contacts within Samsung and they confirm the hub is dead.

Did I miss the memo? Where was this announced publicly, any links? It’s not the end of the world for us, we’ll drop SmartThings and move to another platform.

Anyone have any press releases SmartThings future? Something more specific that what’s in this announcements section of this forum. A lucid SmartThings roadmap would be great…

Any other developers our there with contacts within Samsung can confirm or deny what our Samsung guys are telling us? I’d really like this to be a misunderstanding and miscommunication.

the following item can be found in the thread listed below…

• Retire select legacy hubs – Don’t worry, affected users will have plenty of time to move to a newer version of Hub.

I’ve seen this. Its vague. To me this says V2 or older hubs will be getting retired. Not V3 hubs and Samsung will no longer be selling hubs and sensors. Which is what Samsung are telling us.

1 Like

@blake.arnold, would you mind to take a look at the OP and comment either here or by a PM to the user? Thanks!

1 Like

@GSzabados, DevRel will be reaching out directly to @mjarn2 to clear this up. Thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

Would be great to hear from devrel. Do you have any indication on when that might be?

I’ve started down the road of integrating a Vera hub into our product along with prototypes of device to cloud sensors. We certainly have a preference of sticking with SmartThings. If we can’t get hubs and sensors though we have no choice.

@mjarn2, have you ever got a reply from DevRel?

A month of frustration with devrel. After getting nowhere fast with devrel I spent 2hrs one morning and ported our groovy app across to a another hub. Also burned some time revisiting other hubs and building a few low power wifi sensor prototypes to plug directly into our cloud based broker. I.e. hubless.

Will we go back to SmartThings after this experience? We’d have to have a very compelling reason. The other guys are more than willing to sell us hubs in batches of 1000 and their support team were much more responsive and helpful.

4 Likes

So no more V3 hub. What’s the deal?

I hope I’m wrong but all the evidence is there!

I’m not seeing evidence for no more V3 hub: Aeotec just this month certified a model which is identical to the V3 hub but with different branding.

See the following thread for detailed discussion of what that might mean, because there are several possible answers and we haven’t seen an official one yet. :thinking:

Smartthings Hardware being sold off to Aeotec?

1 Like

Looks like the truth is finally coming out. The V3 hub and sensors are being rebranded and sold under the Aeotec brand. Same Samjin hub and sensors.

A little more

1 Like

Be interested to see if other brands start making smartthings hubs and smartthings become more like tuya.

1 Like

You can now pre-order the V3 hub in the US but Aeotec have jacked up the price significantly.

https://popp.to/products/aeotec-smart-home-hub?utm_source=Aeotec-com&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=w2b

So same hub just twice the cost?